Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday

• 241 replies
Re: Talked to D'angelo at the game yesterday
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »
Based off other things I have seen I am starting to question the Harrison suspension even more. Lavin seems to be acting more and more erratic.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 09:10:33 AM »
Based off other things I have seen I am starting to question the Harrison suspension even more. Lavin seems to be acting more and more erratic.

Playing a walk on in the Big East tournament when we are fighting for our lives is a head scratcher.
But for Lavin, this season, we've learned to expect the unexpected. He's like a Joker.

I liked Lavin when he arrived here, but I don't like how the 3 year plan suddenly became the 5 year plan.
At some point, he has gotta level with us a little.

He is like a performer, and I feel like I've been sold a product that has spoiled too soon.

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »

Playing a walk on in the Big East tournament when we are fighting for our lives is a head scratcher.
But for Lavin, this season, we've learned to expect the unexpected. He's like a Joker.

I liked Lavin when he arrived here, but I don't like how the 3 year plan suddenly became the 5 year plan.
At some point, he has gotta level with us a little.

He is like a performer, and I feel like I've been sold a product that has spoiled too soon.
there's no question he's been more erratic.  i'll give him the five year plan.  he may have thought he was coming to the ucla of the east here in nyc at msg.  instead, he's been asked to clean out a stable loaded with horses on an ex lax diet.

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 10:04:01 AM »
They has been some statement that been attribute to me over the last few week.

So I'll reiterate what I say at the time:

"There was no felony committed here. Just a series of misdemeanors...."
http://johnnyjungle.com/forum/index.php?topic=7710.msg149529#msg149529

What others say, others say. I am not privy to that. What I see is what I say. And word is bond. 24/7/365

As they say in the business world, "culture eats strategy for breakfast". Choz prior post defines that philosophy and it takes guts to follow.

Foad

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »

He had no choice. The evil D'Angelo Harrison forced his hand by being tardy for the bus. Give Lavin a break, his father died and this season has been very frustrating for him, he's even getting gray hair.

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
You didnt interupt our convo.  Lol. Good post guys.  Lo still hasnt made up his mind.  Hopefully he comes back tho.

boo3

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 10:26:56 AM »
 Everyone hopes he comes back.  Only two that matter are Dlo and coach.  Hope they work it out.  In the pros, the player wins, in college, the coach wins.   

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
Everyone hopes he comes back.  Only two that matter are Dlo and coach.  Hope they work it out.  In the pros, the player wins, in college, the coach wins.   

I think his teammates have a big say

boo3

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 10:35:41 AM »

I think his teammates have a big say

Good point.  If teammates all want him I can't see how that wouldn't sway Lavin.

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2013, 10:49:19 AM »

Yeah, shame he didnt forsee his cancer diagnosis at his intro press conf.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 10:58:48 AM »

boy people seem to forget how dead in the water this program was from jarvis on forward. Give Lavs a break. Hes trying to instill some consequences for actions detrimental to the team. I want to be back in the limelight as much as anyone. If it takes an extra year so be it. BTW i dont see how we dont make the dance next year with that front line and if D'lo returns. Sure I'd like a pass first penetrating PG but our rebounding will be better, free throws need to be addressed, and more dribble penetration and a better offensive flow. but really I still love Lavs as our coach, give him a break.

sju89tr

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »

Things have definitely not gone as planned, I agree don't kill the coach entirely.

I feel we have been very unlucky since the Gonzaga loss in the NCAA's.

Lose DJ Kennedy which hurt our NCAA seed then get Denver against a better than they were seeded opponent with 1/4 of the stands filled with their fans.

Polee dad forces kid to transfer.

We make a bad a decision to send 3 kids to Rise causing 3 ineligible players.

We never see Pelle.

Lose out on various recruits from Kyle to McCullough.

Coach gets cancer and misses a year.

Didn't see the Orlando ineligibility coming.

Suspending Harrison who had a very shaky season anyway.

Playing very erratic the entire season.

Loses his Dad and loses Branch at the most critical point in the season.

I don't blame Lavin for changing the plan from 3 to 5 years. Maybe he made a mistake on how big a job it was to turn over the entire roster in 1 year.

I think he made a mistake not hiring an X and O guy when Dunlap left. Let's see what Martin brings to the table over the summer or if Rico will become a recruiter too.

Lavin has made a mistake with roster make up as he didn't bring in some players who would have balanced out the squad in a better way, ball handling, FT shooting, perimeter shooting, rebounding and size etc.

As I see it next year the excuses he has made are no longer valid, put up or shut up time.

I would give him a B- at this time on his job at St Johns. He has recruited very well this far, got a team of three year losers into NCAA's but the jury is still out whether he can get his guys into the NCAA and have some success.         
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:03:45 AM by sju89tr »

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »

Little details like that don't mean much or the fact that next year is his 4th year.

BTW-I heard Monasch has instructed Lavin to be drug tested for his erratic behavior.  That and daily saliva tests should hopefully diagnose what Coach's problem is.

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2013, 11:08:17 AM »
Quote-boy people seem to forget how dead in the water this program was from jarvis on forward. Give Lavs a break. Hes trying to instill some consequences for actions detrimental to the team. I want to be back in the limelight as much as anyone. If it takes an extra year so be it. BTW i dont see how we dont make the dance next year with that front line and if D'lo returns. Sure I'd like a pass first penetrating PG but our rebounding will be better, free throws need to be addressed, and more dribble penetration and a better offensive flow. but really I still love Lavs as our coach, give him a break.

UH, OH! Are we really going to start using Jarvis as an excuse for Lavin now? I am starting to get flashbacks.

Honestly though it isn't the results that have me concerned as I didn't think we were a tourney team before the season and predicted 17 wins I believe. Some of what has gone on here though has been disappointing(transfers, ineligiblities, suspensions) and some of coach's moves have been bizarre. I am not saying questionable or dumb, but bizarre.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:14:02 AM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2013, 11:10:46 AM »
Scariest part is how close the 16 wins could have been 20-21
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
Quote-boy people seem to forget how dead in the water this program was from jarvis on forward. Give Lavs a break. Hes trying to instill some consequences for actions detrimental to the team. I want to be back in the limelight as much as anyone. If it takes an extra year so be it. BTW i dont see how we dont make the dance next year with that front line and if D'lo returns. Sure I'd like a pass first penetrating PG but our rebounding will be better, free throws need to be addressed, and more dribble penetration and a better offensive flow. but really I still love Lavs as our coach, give him a break.

UH, OH! Are we really going to start using Jarvis as an excuse for Lavin now? I am starting to get flashbacks.

Honestly though it isn't the results that have me concerned as I didn't think we were a tourney team before the season and predicted 17 wins I believe. Some of what has gone on here though has been disappointing(transfers, ineligiblities, suspensions) and some of coaches moves have been bizarre. I am not saying questionable or dumb, but bizarre.

I don't think the poster was blaming Jarvis but said let's look at the fact that this program was completely dead for like 8 years so things are not as bleak right now than they were starting with the Pitt incident through the hiring of Lavin 

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2013, 11:12:37 AM »
Quote-BTW-I heard Monasch has instructed Lavin to be drug tested for his erratic behavior.  That and daily saliva tests should hopefully diagnose what Coach's problem is.

Yeah becuase playing a walkon in the 1st round of BET game is sound coaching. Also considering some of the characters we have had here please let me know the last time our best player, a rotation player even was suspended for something other than grades or becuase of a specific incident? I was joking about the drinking, but this has not been a steller season coaching for Lavin!

Poison

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »

Yeah, shame he didn't forsee his cancer diagnosis at his intro press conf.

3 to 5 is two years. I have never been critical of the extra time coach has needed to deal with his health and family matters. Why would you suggest that?

It is certainly fair to criticize a coach who has put together a poor season. Is it not?

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2013, 11:16:28 AM »
Yeah becuase playing a walkon in the 1st round of BET game is sound coaching.

Homeboy Arch was blowin past Jamal and Phil at will. At that point, id try anytin too.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Foad

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
Yeah becuase playing a walkon in the 1st round of BET game is sound coaching.

Homeboy Arch was blowin past Jamal and Phil at will. At that point, id try anytin too.

People have been blowing by our guards all year. Did he just notice?