Next Season

• 280 replies

paultzman

Next Season
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:47:46 PM »

"What's next: St. John's will play in a new conference next season, the new Big East, composed of the "Catholic 7" plus Butler, Xavier and Creighton.

The question is, what will the Red Storm roster look like?

Sampson, the Big East Rookie of the Year, hasn't yet committed to coming back for his sophomore year -- he could make the jump to the pros. Harrison's status for next year is uncertain as well -- he could return to the Red Storm, or transfer, or go pro.

Plus, will Lavin land any recruits this spring? We'll see.

If Sampson and Harrison return, and with the addition of forward Orlando Sanchez, St. John's could be a Top 25 team next season.

If those two leave? We're probably looking at a third straight season without an NCAA tournament bid."

“@KieranDarcy: Rapid Reaction: Virginia 68, St. John's 50 http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/5890/rapid-reaction-virginia-68-st-johns-50

desco80

Re: Next Season
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:51:29 PM »

"What's next: St. John's will play in a new conference next season, the new Big East, composed of the "Catholic 7" plus Butler, Xavier and Creighton.

Sampson, the Big East Rookie of the Year, hasn't yet committed to coming back for his sophomore year -- he could make the jump to the pros. Harrison's status for next year is uncertain as well -- he could return to the Red Storm, or transfer, or go pro.

If Sampson and Harrison return, and with the addition of forward Orlando Sanchez, St. John's could be a Top 25 team next season.

If those two leave? We're probably looking at a third straight season without an NCAA tournament bid."

“@KieranDarcy: Rapid Reaction: Virginia 68, St. John's 50 http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/colleges/post/_/id/5890/rapid-reaction-virginia-68-st-johns-50

Quotes following this one should be interesting.   
Everytime you think we may have turned a corner, and are starting to click.. we have a game like today and fall back to earth. 
At least next year we won't have to hear about the youngest team.   If we lose it'll either be because the players aren't as good as we thought, or the coaching isn't as good as expected.   

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 01:56:42 PM »

Quotes following this one should be interesting.   
Everytime you think we may have turned a corner, and are starting to click.. we have a game like today and fall back to earth. 
At least next year we won't have to hear about the youngest team.   If we lose it'll either be because the players aren't as good as we thought, or the coaching isn't as good as expected.   

Well said Desco!

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »
The honeymoon is over next year.  It's tourney or bust.

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 02:29:07 PM »
I know this was speculated and probably known by most for a while now, but Howland is now fired from UCLA. Not sure how that affects Jordan. We need this kid in the worst way. Sick of our stuffy offense that shoots bricks. We need fresh blood shooting.

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »
I know this was speculated and probably known by most for a while now, but Howland is now fired from UCLA. Not sure how that affects Jordan. We need this kid in the worst way. Sick of our stuffy offense that shoots bricks. We need fresh blood shooting.

Jordan is not that Jordan. He'll just be another top 50 freshman
And will not be leading us any where
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:49:57 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »

Summed it up perfectly. If Harrison, Sampson, and Sanchez are playing for St. John's next year, they'll take a step forward. If not, I have a real hard time seeing them improve in any significant way.

Lavin has had some bad breaks so far, but next year is the year he needs to show his skill as a coach.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 02:58:43 PM »
  Wonder if Lavin will be here?  I heard some talk today, and I'm sure "my guy" is different than Baldi's.

Be careful what ya'll wish for... the grass may not be much greener n the other side. 

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2013, 03:12:33 PM »
  Wonder if Lavin will be here?  I heard some talk today, and I'm sure "my guy" is different than Baldi's.

Be careful what ya'll wish for... the grass may not be much greener n the other side. 

I mentioned during the BET that the rumor I heard is that Lavin is going to USC and Mullin will be our next coach.  I don't believe it and, as much as I love Chris, i hope it's not true.

Moose

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14:12 PM »

Jordan is not that Jordan. He'll just be another top 50 freshman
And will not be leading us any where

Well said.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »

I mentioned during the BET that the rumor I heard is that Lavin is going to USC and Mullin will be our next coach.  I don't believe it and, as much as I love Chris, i hope it's not true.

Is this why Happy is bringing up Mullin now too?   
Shiiittee

4 different people now have said they've heard things about coach leaving.   It's no longer a Baldi-conspiracy.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 03:22:24 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 03:23:16 PM »
I don't make things up

ras

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »

True. Sadly SJBB is not the job premier BB coaches are banging the door down for,

Foad

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:55 PM »
next year is the year he needs to show his skill as a coach.

That's a terrifying scenario.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
It's going to be a long summer.

jr49

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »

I heard it too. Frank from Williamsberg told me ok awhile ago to post if I want, that nobody gonna know who he is anyway. I did not ask him where he got it, but know he has a pal who hears stuff. When I heard it I just figured recruiting was over if true. It sounded like a scheme that would get Steve off the hook for leaving because it would be he who would be working the deal to get CM. in here. I was not in a hurry to post because most of the time this stuff a fairy tale. I want Steve here and RJ too.

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Lavin leaving would terrible. He looked so invested in these games so I am hoping it is not true.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »
“Extending our season with the opportunity to participate in the NIT was a valuable experience for our young team. This season served as an important building block in continuing our efforts to elevate the St. John’s basketball program into a sustainable winner,” said head coach Steve Lavin.

“We tip our caps to Virginia for earning the victory with an effective, methodical style of play. Coach Bennett’s squad is an NCAA-caliber team when playing on their home court. We’ll carry the lessons from this postseason forward into our spring and summer workouts as well as the foreign tour in August. We look forward to the 2013-14 season with the nucleus of our roster returning and the addition of frontline standout Orlando Sanchez.”

http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/032413aaa.html

desco80

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 05:38:41 PM »
More from the above STJ press release...

St. John's 83rd winning season in history and second of The Lavin Era is only its fifth since 1999-2000. The Red Storm's 2011 NCAA berth and 2013 NIT appearance under Lavin mark the first time since 2002 and 2003 during which St. John's reached the postseason twice in three-year span. The Red Storm's 63-61 March 19 NIT Opening Round win over Saint Joseph's was the first non-vacated postseason victory since the 2001 NCAA Tournament.

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
These are all very sad facts considerin what was STJ.

St. John's 83rd winning season in history and second of The Lavin Era is only its fifth since 1999-2000. The Red Storm's 2011 NCAA berth and 2013 NIT appearance under Lavin mark the first time since 2002 and 2003 during which St. John's reached the postseason twice in three-year span. The Red Storm's 63-61 March 19 NIT Opening Round win over Saint Joseph's was the first non-vacated postseason victory since the 2001 NCAA Tournament.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.