Max hooper

• 115 replies
Re: Max hooper
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2013, 01:23:37 PM »
Hooper appeared in only two games and played just 4 minutes at Harvard his freshman year.    Why would he not play more than that?  The absolute only answer I will accept that would leave me thinking Max will be more than a role player for us is that he was injured...

Moose

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
Hooper appeared in only two games and played just 4 minutes at Harvard his freshman year.    Why would he not play more than that?  The absolute only answer I will accept that would leave me thinking Max will be more than a role player for us is that he was injured...

What if his grades weren't up to snuff?  What if he struggled to adapt to Harvard education AND basketball? I don't know the answer and nobody has seemingly asked anyone for an answer.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
Think he can shoot?  Jakarr posted this on twitter...

Max Hooper 3 Point Shooting Challenge (108 made in 5 minutes)

108/130= 83%

He had runs of 19,13,13,12,10,9, and 7 in a row.

The most he missed in a row was 3, and that only happened once.

I dont know how anyone wouldnt be impressed.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »

108/130= 83%

The guy guarding him needs work. Oh wait a minute....

crgreen

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:07 PM »
In case people missed this one.

Max Hooper Harvard Bound Brewster Highlights 2010-2011

Meh.  How good can he be?   At least SEVEN  of those 50+ shots touched rim on the way through.   ;D

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2013, 01:42:22 PM »

What if his grades weren't up to snuff?  What if he struggled to adapt to Harvard education AND basketball? I don't know the answer and nobody has seemingly asked anyone for an answer.

Did a tad bit of research...  On Harvard board when he was originally signed they were all scratching their heads because they had a great amount of shooters already and he would be behind a bunch of players.  They already were assuming he was going to be riding the pine.  In the same thread they start posting after he got clearance to transfer.

It sounds like Harvard had great shooters already that weren't as one-dimensional as Hooper i.e. they played better defense.  They also were scratching their heads as to why he would give up a potential Ivy league diploma to ride the pine at St. John's. 

Hooper may develop into more than a role player by his senior year, but everything points to that he is a great shooter, with nothing more.  We need a great shooter so I think that's good but anyone who thinks Hooper will have more of a role than Marco did this year probably is drinking the Kool Aid.

Here is the link:
http://boards.basketball-u.com/showtopic.php?tid/10941/tp/1/

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »

108/130= 83%

Not impressed Paultz?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »

Did a tad bit of research...  On Harvard board when he was originally signed they were all scratching their heads because they had a great amount of shooters already and he would be behind a bunch of players.  They already were assuming he was going to be riding the pine.  In the same thread they start posting after he got clearance to transfer.

It sounds like Harvard had great shooters already that weren't as one-dimensional as Hooper i.e. they played better defense.  They also were scratching their heads as to why he would give up a potential Ivy league diploma to ride the pine at St. John's. 

Hooper may develop into more than a role player by his senior year, but everything points to that he is a great shooter, with nothing more.  We need a great shooter so I think that's good but anyone who thinks Hooper will have more of a role than Marco did this year probably is drinking the Kool Aid.

Here is the link:

In fairness he may win the HKS Award.

Moose

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »

Here is the link:

Tried reading that thread.  Too many big words.  Pass

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2013, 01:49:57 PM »

108/130= 83%

Not impressed Paultz?

Just putting these Mark Fratto productions in perspective and not setting myself up for disappointment.

crgreen

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2013, 01:51:54 PM »

Here is the link:

If he HITS his shots at a 40-50% clip rather than Marco's sub 30%, he will have much more of a roll.  The SAME roll at that rate would have made him this years teams 5th or 6th best scorer.   But IF hitting, he'll take more than the 3 attempts a game Marco averaged, even if he only were to get Marco's 5 minutes a half.

By the way - as a Bruin fan board poster, Rather than typing out the Kool-aid reference, I found it was easier just to add this graphic to my posts (helped get me banned on the Scout site)....

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:55:18 PM by crgreen »

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »
At best a 10 to 15 minute situational guy?

I think so

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »

Nobody knows what happened at Harvard.  Weren't they a top 25 team last year?  Maybe they just had a lot of great shooters with better all-around games and more experience?  No need to bench a kid shooting 40% that can do more stuff for a kid that can shoot a little better and do nothing else.

We need a shooter...I doubt they did.

crgreen

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »

Nobody knows what happened at Harvard.  Weren't they a top 25 team last year?  Maybe they just had a lot of great shooters with better all-around games and more experience?  No need to bench a kid shooting 40% that can do more stuff for a kid that can shoot a little better and do nothing else.

We need a shooter...I doubt they did.

I just assumed they planned to redshirt him.  Coach Lavin has been known to use the old "Groin injury" (undisprovable) to get several players medical redshirts over the years.   Pretty sure a smart fellow like Amaker knows the ropes as well.   

gman

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 07:09:12 PM »
Is it just me or do he bring the ball down pretty low off the catch making his release long. Then again I know nothing about shooting and the kid was sinking them

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:19 PM »

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »
Maybe he can be our Bill Bradley. At least we know he will win the college 3 pt contest his senior year.

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2013, 08:09:05 AM »
maybe someone can find the nuri video where he was totally lights out from three.  this shows that hooper is practicing.  that's not a bad thing.

Moose

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2013, 08:37:36 AM »
maybe someone can find the nuri video where he was totally lights out from three.  this shows that hooper is practicing.  that's not a bad thing.

Pretty sure this is the lights out video.  He's well inside the 3 pt line ;)  He knew his limitations ;)

Nurideen Lindsey working out

derk

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »

Well I hope someone on staff knows the answer or we'll find out the hard way.