2013-14 Roster: Options - Strategies

• 71 replies

ras

Re: 2013-14 Roster: Options - Strategies
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
Greene will be in the top 3 in minutes played. Book it!
Its hard to believe if Harrison returns. But knowing Lavins love affair w Greene your probably right.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »

If this comes true we will be a mediocre team at best. If jordan comes, harrison stays, and branch returns to full health, greene has no business playing more than 10 minutes a game.

Silly comment.  What if Greene comes back with a better jumper and extra muscle?  Bigs will split minutes due to foul trouble and stamina.  After Harrison and Sampson, there isn't a player that will command 30 mpg.  Jordan hasn't played a minute of college basketball...even without him we figured to be an NCAA tournament team.  Jordan could end up being very good and Greene could still be third on this team in minutes. 

kjd01067

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2013, 06:23:26 PM »

If this comes true we will be a mediocre team at best. If jordan comes, harrison stays, and branch returns to full health, greene has no business playing more than 10 minutes a game.

Silly comment.  What if Greene comes back with a better jumper and extra muscle?  Bigs will split minutes due to foul trouble and stamina.  After Harrison and Sampson, there isn't a player that will command 30 mpg.  Jordan hasn't played a minute of college basketball...even without him we figured to be an NCAA tournament team.  Jordan could end up being very good and Greene could still be third on this team in minutes. 

I don't think greene deserved to play more than 10 mpg this year.  I am not a fan of greene and have not changed my stance on that.  I hope he proves me wrong but other than a few glimpses this season he hasn't shown that he deserves more minutes than that

uwsfan

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 06:27:48 PM »
The ONLY reason Greene got the minutes he did this year is that he is the only guy after Branch capable of running the point.

Now that another (better) point guard is coming, the staff has no need to play him, nor fear the possibility of him leaving.

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
The more controversial question is does anyone see Marco, Hooper, Felix, Jones or (ugh) God's Gift  getting major minutes next year?

I think we can all agree everybody else will be part of the rotation, it's just a matter of who starts and who comes off the bench.
But the group I mentioned is much more influx.   

Does anyone think any of those 5 see "regular" minutes, aka more than 10mpg ?

Agree desco, those 8 will be the core and I would hope Phil sees the least minutes out of those eight. I know where you stand on gift but I think he can help us more than you think. I foresee us picking up A LOT of fouls next year with enhanced pressure and more depth and Gift will have a spot in the front court. Even if only 5-15 minutes a game.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 08:35:06 PM »
I agree Sanchez will start over Obekpa and Pointer will also be in the starting lineup.  -Quote

If Harrison does come back I think Pointer comes off the bench.

Pointer is our Mr. everything. Even if Harrison comes back and regain his starting spot, I cant see Lavin starting Branch, Greene, or even Jordan ahead of Pointer. Pointer is our best option at the 3 spot.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:35:39 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 08:49:22 PM »
I agree Sanchez will start over Obekpa and Pointer will also be in the starting lineup.  -Quote

Pointer is our Mr. everything. Even if Harrison comes back and regain his starting spot, I cant see Lavin starting Branch, Greene, or even Jordan ahead of Pointer. Pointer is our best option at the 3 spot.

He is our best "3" but maybe our team would be more effective going big with JaKarr, Obekpa, and Sanchez. Or small with Jamal, Dlo, and Jordan.

bk8664

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 09:23:09 PM »

He is our best "3" but maybe our team would be more effective going big with JaKarr, Obekpa, and Sanchez. Or small with Jamal, Dlo, and Jordan.

I agree... It's possible the Dom might come off the bench - he'll get major minutes, but he could possibly come off the bench.  There is nothing wrong with that.

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »
I wouldn't automatically put Harrison in the starting lineup. I think he will be back and do the things that Lavin wants to see this offseason.  But I could see Lavin using him as a 6th man with instant offesne off the bench. 

I also think Dom will start 95% of our games.  He was the most improved player from Frosh-Soph and with another year of offseason work, I would not be surprised if he is in the talks for 2nd or 3rd team Big East at the end of the year.

My lineup would be

1) Jordan
2) Branch
3) Dom
4) Sampson
5) Sanchez

Harrison / Greene / Obekpa get the majority of minutes off the bench

GG and Hooper 9 and 10 man respectively avg less than 10 minutes a game.

bk8664

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 09:38:10 PM »
It's nice having all these talented players, isn't it?  If one or two of them don't develop during the off-season as we hope, then others should be able to step up to fill in any holes.   

We are very close to where want to be.   :D

SJUFAN

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »

I agree... It's possible the Dom might come off the bench - he'll get major minutes, but he could possibly come off the bench.  There is nothing wrong with that.

Guys seem down on Pointer. Even though it's possible he comes off the bench, I believe Greene, Branch, or even Jordan (if he signs) are better suited coming off the bench because they can bring you an offensive spark. I can see Greene filling that role perfectly. Dom lead the team in steals and assists, I dont believe Greene starts over him.

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

Guys seem down on Pointer. Even though it's possible he comes off the bench, I believe Greene, Branch, or even Jordan (if he signs) are better suited coming off the bench because they can bring you an offensive spark. I can see Greene filling that role perfectly. Dom lead the team in steals and assists, I dont believe Greene starts over him.

I am not down on Pointer, he is my favorite player. I would go Sanchez, Sampson, Pointer, Jordan, Branch. I know Lavin loves Greene and he is starting so someone has to go/. Regardless Pointer will play starters minutes.

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49:22 PM »

Sir Dom is my favorite as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes off the bench as the 6th man at all. He is a hustle and tenacity guy, and that may be best utilized in spurts. On the other hand, he could really improve his 3 in the offseason, and come back owning the SF role, with Karr playing the 4.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »

Start: Branch / Greene / Sampson / Sanchez / Obekpa

Bench : Pointer / Harrison / Gift / Balamou-Jones-Hooper-Bourgault

ras

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:42 AM »
Im going to be optimistic taking into consideration Jorden comes to fruition and DLO returns. Jorden,DLO,Dom,Sampson,Sanchez.   Backup recieving a lot of minutes.  Branch,Greene,CO.  At times we ll see a 3 guard line up and at times well go big w Sampson,Sanchez and CO.  The big question is does DLO return and if he does which DLO do we see . The one that would score 20 a game or the one that struggled at the end of BE play. If we get the former I cant see Greene starting over him.

derk

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:06 AM »

I am not down on Pointer, he is my favorite player. I would go Sanchez, Sampson, Pointer, Jordan, Branch. I know Lavin loves Greene and he is starting so someone has to go/. Regardless Pointer will play starters minutes.

"Pointer is our best option at the 3 spot ".

Except he can't shoot. And if we go Sanchez, Obekpa, Karr ... he is not. No doubt he will play a fair share of minutes and I like his "stat stuffer" game but we need to score points as easily as we can. Unless he improves his shooting over the summer, he would be most effective as an energy guy off the bench getting 20 - 30 minutes depending on game situations. Right now his offfense is still raw and out of control because he lacks the confidence to pull up for a jumper. In the half court we can't have a 3 with shooting liabilities, especially at crunch time.

desco80

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »

I disagree Derk.  I understand Dom took a lot less shots, and many of them were high percentage shots, but in every measurable way Dom was a pretty decent shooter this year.
Pointer is a better foul shooter, 3pt shooter, and had a higher fg% than Sampson.   
Plus, as I've been pointing out - he led the team in assists.   I really don't see him as an energy guy off the bench; he's locked in as a starter in my mind.
And I'm sure we'll use the big lineup from time to time, but I see two downsides to using that as a starting lineup: 1) If you start both Sanchez and Obekpa you don't have a center to come off the bench.   That's why I think Sanchez starts and Obekpa will get 20mins as his replacement, and occasionally playing along side Orlando.   2) I'm sure this summer Jakarr is working on his perimeter skills, but right now he can't handle the ball well enough or shoot from the outside at all; that makes him a liability as a small forward.     
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:19:15 AM by desco80 »

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 11:31:11 AM »

I disagree Derk.  I understand Dom took a lot less shots, and many of them were high percentage shots, but in every measurable way Dom was a pretty decent shooter this year.
Pointer is a better foul shooter, 3pt shooter, and had a higher fg% than Sampson.   
Plus, as I've been pointing out - he led the team in assists.   I really don't see him as an energy guy off the bench; he's locked in as a starter in my mind.
And I'm sure we'll use the big lineup from time to time, but I see two downsides to using that as a starting lineup: 1) If you start both Sanchez and Obekpa you don't have a center to come off the bench.   That's why I think Sanchez starts and Obekpa will get 20mins as his replacement, and occasionally playing along side Orlando.   2) I'm sure this summer Jakarr is working on his perimeter skills, but right now he can't handle the ball well enough or shoot from the outside at all; that makes him a liability as a small forward.     

Gift as the center off the bench :)

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »

Gift as the center off the bench :)

Seems dumb.  He probably would have gotten a lot more minutes this year.

DFF6

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:09 AM »

Agree with Desco.  Pointer was very efficient with his shots this year after the lightbulb went off sometime after December.  His shooting will only get better, and he's just a beast on the floor. The great thing about our front court depth next year is that Dom can get into foul trouble, and it won't be as detrimental (granted, Dom needs to cut down on the "dumb" fouls).