2013-14 Roster: Options - Strategies

• 71 replies

uwsfan

2013-14 Roster: Options - Strategies
« on: April 09, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
Ok, there is going to  be much debate from now until the beginning of next season (and even well into next season) about which roster combination should/can be used and when.

I personally dont think that there is a single starting 5 lineup that will be identical for more than half of the games. There will be just too many options and situations to mix it up.

The only 3 guys who will definately start EVERY game next year (barring injury) are Harrison, Sampson & Sanchez.

Below is my prediction (preference):

Against bigger stronger competition:

Jordan-PG
Harrison-SG
Sampson-SF
Sanchez-PF
Obekpa-C

Against smaller (and quicker) competition:

Branch-PG
Jordan-PG
Harrison-SG
Sampson-F
Sanchez-F

Also I think there are a few games where you will see Pointer start at the wing with Sampson at PF and Sanchez at Center. Dom will be more of a 6th starter for most of the season i think.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:11:26 PM by uwsfan »

Re: 2013-14 Roster: Options - Strategies
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:11:45 PM »
If Branch cant start at the point next year, we got problems

Poison

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
Ok, there is going to  be much debate from now until the beginning of next season (and even well into next season) about which roster combination should/can be used and when.

I personally dont think that there is a single starting 5 roster lineup that will identical for more than half of the games. There will be just too many options and situations to mix it up.

The only 3 guys who will definately start EVERY game next year (barring injury) are Harrison, Sampson & Sanchez.

Below is my prediction (preference):

Against bigger stronger competition:

Jordan-PG
Harrison-SG
Sampson-SF
Sanchez-PF
Obekpa-C

Against smaller (and quicker) competition:

Branch-PG
Jordan-PG
Harrison-SG
Sampson-F
Sanchez-F

Also I think there are a few games where you will see Pointer start at the wing with Sampson at PF and Sanchez at Center. Dom will be more of a 6th starter for most of the season i think.

Certainly sounds right, or close, but one thing I find interesting is that all of us keep pegging Sanchez for a serious role on the team, and we really haven't seen very much of him at all. How do we know he can take over a game? Is he a 3 or a 4? In college could he play the 5? What about the 2?

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:19 PM »
You don't have arguably our best all around player starting in any lineups (Pointer) or Lavin's favorite player.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »

Couldn't Jordan start?

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 04:18:38 PM »
F Sanchez
F Sampson
F Pointer
G Jordan
G Greene

Bench
Obepka
Branch
GG
Marco Hooper

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

Couldn't Jordan start?
I got the feeling he was more of a combo guard. We need a legit pg. If Branch can't keep the starting Pg job, why keep him here?

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:23:15 PM »
Burke from Michigan is a combo guard and so was Hatten and Hardy. You don't need Steve Nash. As long as he can create for himself, goes North to South and not in a circle you can win with a combo guard in College.

uwsfan

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:26:46 PM »
You don't have arguably our best all around player starting in any lineups (Pointer) or Lavin's favorite player.

Pointer will start some games next year, but with Sanchez playing, and Jordan an NBA caliber prospect, probably not most games.
I expect him to get 25 minutes.

I think Green is looking at much reduced role on the team.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:28:32 PM by uwsfan »

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »
Greene will be in the top 3 in minutes played. Book it!

desco80

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think Obekpa starts.   He'll get his minutes, it's not as if he'll be riding the pine all year.   But, I think Sanchez and Sampson are your 4/5 and Pointer starts at the 3.   

I think the more interesting battle will be in the backcourt.   I would love to see Branch grab a starters role and just run with it and prove he belongs.   But, I'm not sure that's going to happen, and coach does have a love affair with Circles.   And then there's the Harrison situation.
So to me, the back-court jobs will be earned over the summer.   Nobody's guaranteed anything.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:25 PM »
F Sanchez
F Sampson
F Pointer
G Jordan
G Greene

Bench
Obepka
Branch
GG
Marco Hooper

What is your starting five IF Harrison returns?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:35:52 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 04:38:50 PM »
I really don't see any situation where Greene is not starting. I really believe Harrison won't be here, but I will play along.
Sanchez
Sampson
Harrison
Jordan
Greene

Pointer, Obepka and Branch off the bench. GG and Marco Hooper won't play much at all.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »
This is a fools errand because we all know coach Lavin is going to be tinkering with the lineup up all season long.   That's basically a guarantee  ;)

But I think more often than not it'll be
Branch
Harrison
Pointer
Sampson
Sanchez

first guys off the bench are Greene, Obekpa, and Jordan.    Plenty of minutes for all 3.
Marco, Hooper, Jones, and Felix are the ones who will see 10 minutes some nights and DNP on other nights. 

SJUFAN

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 04:42:46 PM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but I don't think Obekpa starts.   He'll get his minutes, it's not as if he'll be riding the pine all year.   But, I think Sanchez and Sampson are your 4/5 and Pointer starts at the 3.   

I think the more interesting battle will be in the backcourt.   I would love to see Branch grab a starters role and just run with it and prove he belongs.   But, I'm not sure that's going to happen, and coach does have a love affair with Circles.   And then there's the Harrison situation.
So to me, the back-court jobs will be earned over the summer.   Nobody's guaranteed anything.   

I agree Sanchez will start over Obekpa and Pointer will also be in the starting lineup.   

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 04:45:05 PM »
I agree Sanchez will start over Obekpa and Pointer will also be in the starting lineup.  -Quote

If Harrison does come back I think Pointer comes off the bench.

desco80

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
The more controversial question is does anyone see Marco, Hooper, Felix, Jones or (ugh) God's Gift  getting major minutes next year?

I think we can all agree everybody else will be part of the rotation, it's just a matter of who starts and who comes off the bench.
But the group I mentioned is much more influx.   

Does anyone think any of those 5 see "regular" minutes, aka more than 10mpg ?

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 05:00:59 PM »
I'd prefer that Felix and/or Jones see the minutes that might be allocated to Marco and/or Gift.  They have tons of upside and could be key contributors down the road.

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 05:05:57 PM »
I would be surprised if Felix comes back at all

kjd01067

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 05:16:31 PM »
Greene will be in the top 3 in minutes played. Book it!

If this comes true we will be a mediocre team at best. If jordan comes, harrison stays, and branch returns to full health, greene has no business playing more than 10 minutes a game.