2012-2013 Statistical Recap

• 14 replies

desco80

2012-2013 Statistical Recap
« on: April 15, 2013, 03:21:56 PM »
Thought it might be interesting to take a look at how we ranked compared to the rest of the Big East in the main statistical areas.   (Keep in mind the rankings are out of 15)

Scoring Margin: 13th (-1.4)     Points Per Game: 12th (64.7)    Points Allowed per Game:  13th (66.2)

FG %:   12th  (41%)
3pt %:  15th (27%)
FT%:    15th (64%)

DEFENSIVE STATS
FG% Defense:    6th (40%)
3pt% Defense: 12th  (33%)

Rebounding Margin:  14th (-3.7)

Steals:  10th  (6.7)
Blocks:  1st  (7.3) 
Assists:  12th (12.3)
Turnover Margin: 4th  (+2.3)

Feel free to add what you guys take away from the numbers, but for me, I think it's interesting that we were pretty decent in fg%, forced opponents into a lot of bad shots, and yet we let up among the most points in the league (13th).   And, it's not because other teams got extra possessions from us (we turned it over relatively infrequently).  But, our opponents hit 3's at a pretty good rate (12th), and we gave up a lot of offensive rebounds, so they got second and third opportunities.   

No way around it, we need to do better on the boards.   I thought we got better as the season went on, but still not nearly good enough.  And the ft and 3pt shooting needs to be respectable if we're going to compete next year.   Not great.   But we can't be last. 

http://www.bigeast.org/portals/5/fls/19400/stats/mbasketball/2012-2013/CONFLDRS.HTM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:24:04 PM by desco80 »

boo3

Re: 2012-2013 Statistical Recap
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:30:45 PM »
 Not much to take away from the numbers as far as rankings against the BE last year.

The league will be a lot different next year with many teams moving on.  Personally, don't need to see last years ranking to know our shooting and rebounding need to improve.  I think they both will. 

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 04:24:06 PM »
Just as I thought-we were lights out...in the dark.  :)

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
Nice recap desco. I actually think rebounding will be one of our strengths next year and that we'll be towards the top of the league.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 07:30:56 PM »
Nice recap desco. I actually think rebounding will be one of our strengths next year and that we'll be towards the top of the league.

I would agree.   I think the rebounding definitely gets better.  We add Sanchez, and the other guys like Jakarr and Chris O are only getting bigger and better.   I think it's pretty certain our rebounding improves.   

The shooting I think is more of a hope, than a guarantee.   It should get better with experience and practice, but who knows.   

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 10:19:53 PM »
I agree with desco, our fg shooting % hopefully will go up next season. I think having an increased interior, post presence (which was basically non-existent this season) by having Sanchez, God's Gift and (a major hopefully) improved Obekpa down low increases the % with the "easy" buckets.

desco80

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »
I agree with desco, our fg shooting % hopefully will go up next season. I think having an increased interior, post presence (which was basically non-existent this season) by having Sanchez, God's Gift and (a major hopefully) improved Obekpa down low increases the % with the "easy" buckets.

I think that's exactly it Stevey, I don't know how much guys will I prove their shooting over the summer, but I think our fg% could go up by getting more easy buckets. 
The putbacks by Sanchez and a bigger Sampson and Obekpa, and hopefully some penetration from the guards that gets them easy dunks under the basket. 

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 10:00:31 AM »

I think that's exactly it Stevey, I don't know how much guys will I prove their shooting over the summer, but I think our fg% could go up by getting more easy buckets. 
The putbacks by Sanchez and a bigger Sampson and Obekpa, and hopefully some penetration from the guards that gets them easy dunks under the basket. 

Better rebounding should hopefully equate to more outlet passes and lay ups. Operative word is "should".

desco80

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05:46 PM »

Better rebounding should hopefully equate to more outlet passes and lay ups. Operative word is "should".

Also true Paultz.  It's a chain reaction after that, because if we make more buckets then we can set up our full court defense.   
I don't expect us to be a noticeably better shooting team, but I expect the team to do the little things just a tad better; a few more rebounds a game, a few passes we wouldn't have made last year, harder screens, two more free throws we would've missed, and an extra steal or two; and I think over the course of a game that adds up.   

paultzman

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »

Also true Paultz.  It's a chain reaction after that, because if we make more buckets then we can set up our full court defense.   
I don't expect us to be a noticeably better shooting team, but I expect the team to do the little things just a tad better; a few more rebounds a game, a few passes we wouldn't have made last year, harder screens, two more free throws we would've missed, and an extra steal or two; and I think over the course of a game that adds up.   

Excellent points and analysis Desco!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:13:50 PM by paultzman »

jr49

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »

Inside scoring will also help us keep other teams from getting out on the break. In fact just taking good shots helps the D. There were times we could not even set up our D, and I still thats how this team gets to win. 

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 01:35:32 PM »
Three point defense and rebounding.  It would be interesting to see how #2 affected #1.  A lot of offensive rebounds result in set shots for undefended three-point shooters. 

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 07:34:44 PM »
FG% will be helped a lot with Sanchez's inside scoring as well as Gift's. I expect improvement shooting wise from Harrison, Greene, Pointer, and Sampson. Marco and Hooper are wild cards. Marco proved he can't even hit open 3's...so Hooper better make those next year. I expect a massive improvement in 3PT%, though 3's won't be as necessary with actual interior threats in Sanchez/Gift/Jordan. Hooper better be ready to make them when kicked out and wide open.

desco80

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
I expect a massive improvement in 3PT%..

You expect or you hope?

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
I expect a massive improvement in 3PT%..

You expect or you hope?

Expect...Marco has to make more, Harrison was awful, Hooper coming in, and Jordan shot 35% for the season from 3 so he can hit. There is no possible way it could be any worse IMO.