Had me going for a minute lol

boo3

Re: ACC invite....
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 01:37:52 PM »
WNBA draft was the other day....

SJUFAN

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »
Why would the Acc invite non-football schools?

And for the record...if I get invited to the White House or the Playboy Mansion...I'll go!

Exactly. Football schools are not going to share their revenue with non football schools. We will be second class citizens there. We will probably make more $$$ in the BE.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:54:38 PM by STJFAN »

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »
First it's not going to happen.  So harkening back to a previous thread it would be like getting an invite from Kate Upton, sure she's not really my type but she's still obviously a cut above most and I know I'm not getting an invite from Blake Lively or Jessica Alba or . . .  so I'd have to take Kate up on her offer.

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 02:19:46 PM »
No. Sorry but we can't seriously compete in a league of Duke, UNC, Pitt, Cuse, L'Ville, Miami, Virginia, etc...I think the Big East is loaded but still manageable enough to be a consistent top 3 or 4 team. We will have a real shot to win the Big East next year. Porter is gone from G'Town, Vander Blue is gone from Marquette, etc. If it was ever going to happen it will be next year. The ACC is the next to be cherry picked...we all know this. They have plenty of teams good in football but bad in basketball that want out. Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami (this year was an outlier), FSU, Virginia, BC, Wake Forest, etc.

I'm just glad to be in a stable place with like-minded basketball first schools who won't leave. It's also the right competitive level...not too high but not too low. Competitive, but just right. Lavin proved he can still recruit in this league and that's all we needed to see. We also still have MSG for the tourney. The new Big East is still a power conference for sure. The AAU is essentially mid major and UConn/Cincy will be bolting asap.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »
I think you go only if G'town and Nova are part of it.  Those three need to be together.  The ACC was silly not to jump on those teams IMO.  HUGE market teams...rich traditions...primetime.

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2013, 07:41:37 PM »
I think you go only if G'town and Nova are part of it.  Those three need to be together.  The ACC was silly not to jump on those teams IMO.  HUGE market teams...rich traditions...primetime.

If those two teams were ready to bolt then we would be in a tough spot, probably have to follow them. Id rather just all of us stay in the bigeast. Im very excited to be a major player in quality conference.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 04:03:33 PM »
This nonsense keeps popping up. St. John's doesn't need the ACC. They have their own conference. You get a lot of good teams in a conference like the ACC, they beat each other, and some doesn't make the Big Dance. St. John's shouldn't and wouldn't accept such a nonsensical offer.

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
NO!!!

PIB

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »
No. Sorry but we can't seriously compete in a league of Duke, UNC, Pitt, Cuse, L'Ville, Miami, Virginia, etc...I think the Big East is loaded but still manageable enough to be a consistent top 3 or 4 team. We will have a real shot to win the Big East next year. Porter is gone from G'Town, Vander Blue is gone from Marquette, etc. If it was ever going to happen it will be next year. The ACC is the next to be cherry picked...we all know this. They have plenty of teams good in football but bad in basketball that want out. Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Miami (this year was an outlier), FSU, Virginia, BC, Wake Forest, etc.

I'm just glad to be in a stable place with like-minded basketball first schools who won't leave. It's also the right competitive level...not too high but not too low. Competitive, but just right. Lavin proved he can still recruit in this league and that's all we needed to see. We also still have MSG for the tourney. The new Big East is still a power conference for sure. The AAU is essentially mid major and UConn/Cincy will be bolting asap.

Since when was Miami a team to fear in hoops? Since Laranaga took over? They had a little run under Hamilton, but quickly got back to their customary ways of mediocrity. I agree with the overall gist of your comment, but Miami basketball. Nothing to fear. Nothing at all.

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »

Since when was Miami a team to fear in hoops? Since Laranaga took over? They had a little run under Hamilton, but quickly got back to their customary ways of mediocrity. I agree with the overall gist of your comment, but Miami basketball. Nothing to fear. Nothing at all.

Nor Virginia.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

jr49

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:53 PM »
If you have the final say and the ACC invited St Johns to join the season after next, do you go or stay loyal to the Big East?
Now that SJU hoops is making all that money, it's off to the ACC? I thought we been through this really silly stuff about non football schools being invited to join(high caliber no less)football leagues for the how many time is it, and when will we ever be done with it. Not to say something is impossible. but it almost seems to be, so can we wait for something so unlikely to happen without bringing it up. So Marco, lets say in 4 years SJU is invited to play hoops in the ACC but roster must be 7 or less and they must go with underclassmen only , and get zero money How's that Baldi, a good deal? worth discussing? Can ya think if something sillier to bring up? You can, can't you? Didn't mean to be rude. Maybe silly. What if the board was full of questions like that. Why. why, and why. How about next year the ACC comes along and offers all BE teams an offer into the league, except the Johnnies of course. Could we get the all time best money of all time for our one team hoops league. Should we leave now and start the negotiation? Then go to the ACC and ask'em what ya got? 

jr49

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
Also, I don't think this hypothetical is all that far fetched.   And, we wouldn't be invited alone.   We'd either be paired with ND, or it would b a package deal of us and Georgetown.   

At the of the day Id probably stay put, but it would definitely deserve consideration.  Plus, consider this - how 'foreign' to us would a conference that includes Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville, and potentially Georgetown be?
How many chances we giv'em to hump us. We can still invite a couple to MSG and play a great OOC. If we poll I think we very happy to be where we are. As the football teams were jumping I can only say for myself for sure, but I think the guys would love this. We just got of  a situation were we gotta kiss the footballs butt, and we end up with a wonderful hoops league. Just ask Fox, money"s smart. I love this league.  I know the rest of the league will draw, I hope we do. Nothing to stop us from being top ten if we earn it.

jr49

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »
Again, and I'm sorry but, has a football league invited non football schools to join them? I hope they never do or we all say no. We got a wonderful hoops league. Finally. Lets roll, and Go Storm 

Tiznow

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 10:43:21 PM »
If you have the final say and the ACC invited St Johns to join the season after next, do you go or stay loyal to the Big East?

The ACC sucks.  Why go down a grade?

Tiznow

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
Depends on two things to me, 1) How much more money would their media deal give us exactly?   2) The effect on SJU's academic profile.  Would a move to the ACC correspond with more faculty funding? New departments and majors? More merit scholarships?   

The recent additions of Pitt and Louisiville may have watered it down some, but the ACC has some schools with tremendous academic reputations.

Desco, Maryland's move to the Big Ten is not resulting in more merit scholarships.  Trust me on that one.  Their presidential scholarship is a crappy 2 thousand bucks.

desco80

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2013, 12:39:17 AM »
Depends on two things to me, 1) How much more money would their media deal give us exactly?   2) The effect on SJU's academic profile.  Would a move to the ACC correspond with more faculty funding? New departments and majors? More merit scholarships?   

The recent additions of Pitt and Louisiville may have watered it down some, but the ACC has some schools with tremendous academic reputations.

Desco, Maryland's move to the Big Ten is not resulting in more merit scholarships.  Trust me on that one.  Their presidential scholarship is a crappy 2 thousand bucks.

Really? Wow.   
Yea, I don't disagree with you guys really, I love the new league and I think it's the best possible situation for us.   
I think the new league is stable and that's as important as anything. 

I just don't think Baldi created this thread out of thin air.   He probably posed the hypothetical because he heard something. 

Moose

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 01:04:07 AM »

Really? Wow.   
Yea, I don't disagree with you guys really, I love the new league and I think it's the best possible situation for us.   
I think the new league is stable and that's as important as anything. 

I just don't think Baldi created this thread out of thin air.   He probably posed the hypothetical because he heard something. 

Lots of people hear voices ;)
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 02:19:22 PM »

Nor Virginia.

Maybe not fear, but you should ALWAYS respect a Tony Bennett coached opponent.

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »
Baldi must love Seinfeld because this thread is like the idea about his show. It's a thread about nothing