Barkley Cook Discussion from Rysheed's Thread

• 36 replies

boo3

Barkley Cook Discussion from Rysheed's Thread
« on: April 21, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
 Barkley was much better than Cook.. Not even close IMO.  Erick brought it from day one and he was a winner.. Cook was overhyped and only about Omar. He played for name on back of jersey, not on the front.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:58:18 AM by kjd01067 »

Poison

Re: Barkley Cook Discussion from Rysheed's Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 11:43:54 PM »
Barkley was much better than Cook.. Not even close IMO.  Erick brought it from day one and he was a winner.. Cook was overhyped and only about Omar. He played for name on back of jersey, not on the front.

Pretty harsh don't you think? Barkley had an NBA lottery pick playing SF, and another NBA draft pick coming off the bench. Cook had Willie Shaw, Alpha Bangura, Sharif Fordham, Abe Keita, Mohammed Diakite, Anthony Glover, Reggie Jessie & Jack Wolfinger.

Not the same group of guys to get the ball to, except Cook was able somehow rack up the assists. How is that the mark of a greedy player?

Jordan, on the other hand, will have Harrison, Sampson and Sanchez, and a pretty good supporting cast. The only question in my mind about his success is whether we field the team that all of us expect to. If he has several great players to share the ball with, opponents won't be able to key on just one player.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:06:48 AM by Poison »

boo3

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »

Pretty harsh don't you think? Barkley had an NBA lottery pick playing SF, and another NBA draft pick coming off the bench. Cook had Willie Shaw, Alpha Bangura, Sharif Fordham, Abe Keita, Mohammed Diakite, Anthony Glover, Reggie Jessie & Jack Wolfinger.

Not the same group of guys to get the ball to, except Cook was able somehow rack up the assists. How is that the mark of a greedy player?

Jordan, on the other hand, will have Harrison, Sampson and Sanchez, and a pretty good supporting cast. The only question in my mind about his success is whether we field the team that all of us expect to. If he has several great players to share the ball with, opponents won't be able to key on just one player.

Not harsh at all. It is the truth. Despite Omar's assists I never viewed him as anything other than a kid whose head was too big for his own good.  Talented?  Of course he was.  My lasting impression of Omar is him making faces and gestures at teammates when they dropped a pass or missed a layup and prevented him from another assist..

So , I guess, I do agree with your point about the talent around them. I still don't think of that as an excuse to act like a punk..  just my $0.02

Poison

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 10:06:29 AM »

Not harsh at all. It is the truth. Despite Omar's assists I never viewed him as anything other than a kid whose head was too big for his own good.  Talented?  Of course he was.  My lasting impression of Omar is him making faces and gestures at teammates when they dropped a pass or missed a layup and prevented him from another assist..

So , I guess, I do agree with your point about the talent around them. I still don't think of that as an excuse to act like a punk..  just my $0.02

I guess I don't recall him behaving that way. I remember him putting the team on his back and willing us to wins. Alpha Bangura transferred his with fanfare. He couldn't shoot or put it on the floor, and he never passed. Diakite was a small fraction of what we expected him to be.

Cook was the only player who was ready to play on that team. Glover was pretty good, but he was inconsistent. Jessie regressed. Cuffe was a freshman, and I thought Cook made him look pretty good. 

Foad

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 10:29:48 AM »
I guess I don't recall him behaving that way. I remember him putting the team on his back and willing us to wins. Alpha Bangura transferred his with fanfare. He couldn't shoot or put it on the floor, and he never passed. Diakite was a small fraction of what we expected him to be.

Cook was the only player who was ready to play on that team. Glover was pretty good, but he was inconsistent. Jessie regressed. Cuffe was a freshman, and I thought Cook made him look pretty good.

Tend to agree. They were essentially the same player, but EB was surrounded by talent. Cook's team won 5 games, without him they would have won none.

Barkley: 33 min / 13 pts / 5 assists / .39 (FG) / .34 (3 pt) / 118 rebs
Cook: 38 min / 15 pts / 9 assists / .36 (FG) / .30 (3 pt) / 88 rebs

Interesting stat: Barkley led the team in assists with 175, Artest was next with 156; both averaged 4+ per game. Cook led the team in assists with 252, next was Jessie with 50; Cook averaged ~ 9, Jessie was next with 1.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 10:50:20 AM »
Interesting question:

All other things being equal ( roster, coach, etc..). If you can pick Cook or Barkley as your PG, Which one are you picking?  For me, I'm going with EB.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:59:22 AM »
Interesting question:

All other things being equal ( roster, coach, etc..). If you can pick Cook or Barkley as your PG, Which one are you picking?  For me, I'm going with EB.

Saying Barkley > Cook isn't nearly the same thing as saying Cook was garbage, which is what you implied.

Interesting question:

Swap Cook and Barkley. Does the 99 team miss get worse? Doubt it. Does the 01 team get better? No.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
Interesting question:

Saying Barkley > Cook isn't nearly the same thing as saying Cook was garbage, which is what you implied.

Interesting question:

Swap Cook and Barkley. Does the 99 team miss get worse? Doubt it. Does the 01 team get better? No.

Come on, I didn't imply he was "garbage". I said it was my opinion that Barkley was a much better player than Cook.  Cook was supremely talented but had attitude issues. I felt, despite his assist numbers, that he was selfish.  He also made a very stupid decision to leave when he did.

sju89tr

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »
Interesting question:

Interesting question:

Time may have messed with my memory but I think Barkley could have don more with the 99 team but Cook likely could have stepped in on the 01 team without them missing a beat.

I think Barkley was more of a complete player. 

Foad

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
Come on, I didn't imply he was "garbage". I said it was my opinion that Barkley was a much better player than Cook.

You said Cook was overhyped and a punk. Yes, garbage is an unfair categorization of that. But there's an implication there of something other than one guy was a better player than the other.

Cook was supremely talented but had attitude issues. I felt, despite his assist numbers, that he was selfish.  He also made a very stupid decision to leave when he did.

Cook made a bad decision. Barkley's decision didn't work out any better. The two of them had virtually identical NBA careers.

boo3

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 01:49:25 PM »
 They each left school under very different circumstances.

crgreen

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:46 PM »
Really curious to see what kind of a "magnet" Rysheed turns out to be for the 2014 recruiting class. 

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »

+1

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
Interesting question:

EB and it isn't particularly close.  Barkley was my favorite PG at STJ and it'll be tough to top.

sju89tr

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:19 AM »
Interesting question:

EB and it isn't particularly close.  Barkley was my favorite PG at STJ and it'll be tough to top.

I go Barkley too

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »
Barkley every day and twice on a day we're playing uconn.
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
I will take Cook here - He made one of the worst early entry decisions of All Time but if he had stayed one more year, he might have been a lottery pick.

Barkley was always surrounded by super talent - evne in high school.

Omar is still making money playing basketball - Barkley is an assitant at CTK the last time I checked.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:27:34 AM by pmg911 »

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
I will take Cook here - He made one of the worst early entry decisions of All Time but if he had stayed one more year, he might have been a lottery pick.

Barkley was always surrounded by super talent - evne in high school.

Omar is still making money playing basketball - Barkley is an assitant at CTK the last time I checked.

Cook is also four years younger than Barkley.  It makes sense that Cook's playing career would end after Barkley's. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 11:31:37 AM by Marillac »

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
1. Jackson
2. Harvey
3. Barkley
4. Cain Senior year
5. Cook

If you put Jackson on the Elite 8 team with Artest they would have been even better. I think becuase he was a better shooter, the same can be said of Boo Harvey.

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
If we are just talking Frosh point guards you have to go Barkley. I do think if Cook stayed and was surrounded by good players he would have been a lot better than Barkley.