Dunlap Fired

• 66 replies
Re: Dunlap Fired
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »
Crazy. This cant help Charlotte during its next coaching search.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
Quote- Wasn't expecting you to admit you were wrong, just what you are thinking now.  If you were 99% sure a few weeks ago, what about now?   

I felt the same way as you if you remember, i've resigned myself to being happily wrong  in this situation.  I would definitely rather be wrong than right in this matter. -Boo

I always hoped I was wrong. Again if I see him playing the first game I will be very pleasantly surprised. But if no news comes out by the end of the school year then yes I would expect him back.

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »
Jordan's decision to draft kidd-gilchrist at #2 was a flop.  5 guys drafted after him are better player with more upside.  This draft class is generally weak too...unlikely the bobcats will be able to significantly upgrade their roster.

Time for Jordan to delegate GM responsibilities to a professional talent evaluator.

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
I think firing had more to do with his relationship with the players. I watched first half of the game when they beat the Knicks resting all of their players and and every player Mike Breen mentioned on Bobcats had some sort of issue with Dunlap. Gordon, Thomas, Henderson and Walker were all mentioned. Tough to keep your job when you have a losing record and your players hate you.

boo3

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »
 I know that he and Gordon were at each other throats all season. That was well publicized.

I think that is why he and Lavin worked so well together when they were both on the sideline.   Good cop , bad cop. 

desco80

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »
Awful draft history for Jordan.    Adam Morrison with the #3 pick in 2006?   Brandon Roy, Rudy Gay, Rondo etc all taken later in that draft.
And then he had 2 first round picks in both 2007 and 2008.   And those four picks netted Brandan Wright, Jared Dudley, DJ Augustin, and Alexis Ajinça.  The following big men were taken later in those 2 drafts: Noah, Marc Gasol, Brook Lopez, Hibbert, Ibaka.   

The draft can be a crapshoot, but you can't have 5 first round picks in three years and strikeout on virtually all of them.   That's when you need to get out of the player evaluation game.

MCNPA

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 03:11:42 PM »
DePaul should hire Dunlap...

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
Make Lavin his assistant
That's real smart. You think insulting Coach Lavin is funny? You can roam wherever you wish, but I do wonder why your here.
Lighten up Francis

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
Lets nip this in the bud right now.   He's not going to transition from NBA head coach back to assistant at SJU.

Dunlap is going to find a head coaching job in college.  And I would imagine he's going to be pretty good wherever he goes as long as he finds a good recruiting assistant.   Consider this; he's commonly regarded as a brilliant strategist, and although he's also considered a so called disciplinarian, do you know what we didn't hear about at all last year?   A disgruntled D'angelo Harrison.   Not a peep.   Showed up, played, smiled in the huddle.   Go figure....
Goodman's thoughts about Dunlap, he thinks the opposite of you. I agree that Dunlap would be looking for a HC position will see. Jordan has been a complete failure as an owner, hiring Phil Jackson may turn it around, if MJ could pull it off.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22122649/which-college-coach-will-be-wise-enough-to-try-to-hire-mike-dunlap

desco80

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. 

But very interesting take from Goodman about programs looking to hire an "X's and O's" assistant.   We talk about that a lot on here and I think some take it as an insult to coach Lavin, Goodman shows that's not necessarily the case.   Lots of programs hire an assistant who focuses on game strategy, his Billy Donovan example is a good one. 

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
I don't think that anyone thinks it's an insult to Lavin to suggest that he should hire an X's and O's coach.  The insult comes when it is suggested that he has zero coaching ability and that he is merely the pretty face on a coaching staff (paraphrasing fun? :) ).

I would LOVE to see Dunlap back on our sidelines.  It worked well the first time.  Why not give it another try, Mike?

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »
Lets nip this in the bud right now.   He's not going to transition from NBA head coach back to assistant at SJU.

Dunlap is going to find a head coaching job in college.  And I would imagine he's going to be pretty good wherever he goes as long as he finds a good recruiting assistant.   Consider this; he's commonly regarded as a brilliant strategist, and although he's also considered a so called disciplinarian, do you know what we didn't hear about at all last year?   A disgruntled D'angelo Harrison.   Not a peep.   Showed up, played, smiled in the huddle.   Go figure....

What job is open he'd take? He'll probably just sit out a year
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

crgreen

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
I'd like him back here too, but they won like 19 games and all his players hated him, why is anyone shocked he got fired?

Or you could say, he nearly TRIPLED their wins from the previous season.   :)

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 04:27:48 PM »
I'm more than surprised a coach who tripled his predecessor's win total would lose his job.  maybe jordan is PRAYING he can get phil jackson on board. 

i'd love to see dunlap back on board here.  LOVE it.

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 04:29:11 PM »

Goodman's thoughts about Dunlap, he thinks the opposite of you. I agree that Dunlap would be looking for a HC position will see. Jordan has been a complete failure as an owner, hiring Phil Jackson may turn it around, if MJ could pull it off.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/22122649/which-college-coach-will-be-wise-enough-to-try-to-hire-mike-dunlap

Gary Parrish wrote that not Jeff Goodman
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

NYCoffey

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 04:29:36 PM »
Maybe he comes on for a year in an advisory role like Keady and wait for an opening. Its a long shot because he likes the coaching and practicing aspect. But would love to have him back in any capacity.

desco80

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »

What job is open he'd take? He'll probably just sit out a year

Probably true Dave, unless he thinks he could keep the magic going at FGCU or turn around Hofstra quickly.  But I doubt it, you're right.   Those aren't exactly the jobs somebody takes after being the NBA.   

Maybe he's an NBA assistant for a year, until the college coaching carousel starts again.   

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 04:46:08 PM »
The Cavs would do better with Dunlap than with a 2nd go with Mike Brown.

jr49

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
DePaul should hire Dunlap...
You think they ready to fire OP? Don't know what Slice is doing, but him and coach Dunlap has the look of a good fit. Be nice for Mike to step into a place where coach was just wrapping it up as opposed to getting fired. If Tommy A was getting ready to head out he might enjoy that kind of place. Don't know Mike, does he need to be in a place with 16,000 howling every game?

jr49

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 05:07:39 PM »
Make Lavin his assistant
That's real smart. You think insulting Coach Lavin is funny? You can roam wherever you wish, but I do wonder why your here.
Lighten up Francis
Wasn't looking to knock ya, just wondering where anyone can go with a statement like that. Do you think Coach a fair and capable man? Soft easy question, right?