Player Development/Early Practices

• 31 replies

Tiznow

Re: Player Development/Early Practices
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 10:23:40 PM »
Hopefully not at the same time Jon! Sheez!

“@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working Dom Pointer in at PG thru PF in summer practice. Could technically play all 5 spots on floor. GLUE GUY. #stjbb”

Didn't we hear this last summer too?
Yes - and he proceeded to lead the team in assists, FG%, and steals,  and finish 3rd in Rebounding and blocks, and 4th in scoring, playing all 5 positions on the court at one time or another.

And he leads the team in penalty minutes.  This a guy that you want to have on your side. 

Foad

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 10:15:45 AM »
as CR pointed out he led our team in assists

With 2.8 per game. About one more per game than Obekpa. He led the team because the offense sucked, not because he's a PG.

crgreen

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
as CR pointed out he led our team in assists

With 2.8 per game. About one more per game than Obekpa. He led the team because the offense sucked, not because he's a PG.

No one's said he's a great (or even Good) PG - just that he CAN play the position (as well as 4 others), and is capable of leading a High D-1, Old Big East-level team in assists - BECAUSE HE HAS.  He11s be11s, man.  #14 Ranked Arizona was led in assists by "Point Guard" Mark Lyons last season - at 2.8 assists per game.

Foad

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 11:07:25 AM »
No one's said he's a great (or even Good) PG - just that he CAN play the position (as well as 4 others), and is capable of leading a High D-1, Old Big East-level team in assists - BECAUSE HE HAS.  He11s be11s, man.  #14 Ranked Arizona was led in assists by "Point Guard" Mark Lyons last season - at 2.8 assists per game.

Someone called Nick Johnson led Arizona in assists last season.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 01:47:41 PM »
I might be Pointer's biggest fan, but he's not a point guard.  And he didn't play one for us last season.

With that said, he's pretty good at a lot of things, and best of all he's efficient.   He gets his points and assists without having to dominate the ball or chuck up a ton of shots.   All else being equal, I want more players like that.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
Moe on the scene;

“@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB FAMILY. #LEGGOOOO @Moe_Harkless @SheedJordan #SoonToBeOnInstagram D'Angelo Harrison. #STJBB http://Instagram.com/p/ccW9zPn9SN/

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:24 PM »
Moe on the scene;

“@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB FAMILY. #LEGGOOOO @Moe_Harkless @SheedJordan #SoonToBeOnInstagram D'Angelo Harrison. #STJBB http://Instagram.com/p/ccW9zPn9SN/

Looks like Rysheed has on inch on D'lo. On a side note, the chemistry the two of them are able to develop will play a big role in our success IMO.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 05:02:56 PM »
Moe on the scene;

Looks like Rysheed has on inch on D'lo. On a side note, the chemistry the two of them are able to develop will play a big role in our success IMO.

At least an inch on D'Lo, maybe more.  D'Lo looks lean and in shape though, which is good for him.  The more he improves his quickness, the better for his game.  Glad to see those two.  Our team will go where those guys take us this year.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 12:44:53 AM »
The Basketball Diary ‏@TheBBallDiary
Good thing from Chris Obekpa is the guy got big. Cannon arms. Jump shot is smoother. Inside post game non existent. Once that happens NBA.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 08:21:07 PM »

“@JonRothstein: Hearing St. John's is working Dom Pointer in at PG thru PF in summer practice. Could technically play all 5 spots on floor. GLUE GUY. #stjbb”

Along with the fact Christian Jones was the major surprise on the team.

I completely forgot about Christian Jones. Next year he might be called upon to be major contributor.

For who? 

Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa are all playing over him.  He'll be fighting for minutes with GG for fourth up front and that doesn't include the times we go 3-4 guards.  I hope he makes strides this year because he will be called on in 2014-2015 for big minutes.

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 08:23:42 PM »
sampson, sanchez, obekpa and god's gift may all be gone after next year.
jones will certainly get his minutes in his junior year.

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »

Along with the fact Christian Jones was the major surprise on the team.

I completely forgot about Christian Jones. Next year he might be called upon to be major contributor.

For who? 

Sampson, Sanchez, Obekpa are all playing over him.  He'll be fighting for minutes with GG for fourth up front and that doesn't include the times we go 3-4 guards.  I hope he makes strides this year because he will be called on in 2014-2015 for big minutes.

Think Dave is talking about 14-15.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.