What would you do?

• 33 replies
What would you do?
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »
with the remaining 3 scholarships available? Who would you sign? Would you use them all?

Be serious and realistic of what could happen. Give your reasons why....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »
Seriously..   I would not sign anyone..   unless someone falls in their lap there isn't a player they are looking at that will be a difference maker going forward...

They desperately need a back up point guard but they might be better off doing it by committee at this point and making huges push on 3  - 4 players for 2009.

The one thing I would definitely NOT do is sign this kid Stefen Bonneou (spelling.?). he is NOT a Big East player...

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »
Depends whos eligible. you minus well use them with mase, jt, leaving next year.

sign:

Kilpatrick
Edmonson

save one schollie for 4-star for 2008 (most likely not gonna happen):

Bud Mackey
John Riek
Ebanks
Paul McCoy
Miles Plumlee
Brad Tinsley

have 3 schollies open for 2009 (omari, kevin, durand) and we will be poised for ncaas.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:20:44 AM by NYCbuckeye »

kjd01067

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »
We need a big man and a point.  Its getting down to the wire here and although i dont want to settle for non big east talent we need depth next year and bad.  We cant win with boothe and JB playing 40 mins all season.  I guess with who is left out there I would want to sign Maze and maybe Kyrie Sutton (is there even any other centers/forwards on the board).  I say pocket the third ship.  This is a really mess of a recruiting class.  I cant stop thinking about how happy i would be if Landesberg signed with us.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »
Seriously..   I would not sign anyone..   unless someone falls in their lap there isn't a player they are looking at that will be a difference maker going forward...

They desperately need a back up point guard but they might be better off doing it by committee at this point and making huges push on 3  - 4 players for 2009.

The one thing I would definitely NOT do is sign this kid Stefen Bonneou (spelling.?). he is NOT a Big East player...

Have you seen Stefan play?

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »
If you had to choose which PG on the board left to sign who would you choose?

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
Depends whos eligible. you minus well use them with mase, jt, leaving next year.

sign:

Kilpatrick
Edmonson

Bud Mackey
John Riek
Ebanks
Paul McCoy
Miles Plumlee
Brad Tinsley

have 3 schollies open for 2009 (omari, kevin, durand) and we will be poised for ncaas.

i dont know how many different languages i can say it in: but kilpatrick likely wont be an 08 recruit....and john riek will likely be going pro after his prep year next year
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
If you had to choose which PG on the board left to sign who would you choose?

horne (if still around), should be the backup.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »

[/quote]

sign:

Kilpatrick
Edmonson

Bud Mackey
John Riek
Ebanks
Paul McCoy
Miles Plumlee
Brad Tinsley

i dont know how many different languages i can say it in: but kilpatrick likely wont be an 08 recruit....and john riek will likely be going pro after his prep year next year

thats why i said 'eligible'
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:01:19 PM by NYCbuckeye »

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
Seriously..   I would not sign anyone..   unless someone falls in their lap there isn't a player they are looking at that will be a difference maker going forward...

Have you seen Stefan play?

I believe I have said it before . . I have not. . but I do have a good friend who is NBA Scout also that has seen him multiple times...   

He is a 5'9, shoot first, point guard that doesn't play defense...     NO THANK YOU

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:12 PM »
JJ   lets hear your opinion..

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:15:56 PM »
sign no one.

mkras99

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
Hard to opine on players when we haven't seen them play.

Of those I've read about and seen clips on, I think Edmondson is the best fit as a guard.  Buljan the best fit as a big.  Zalbas is also very intriguing, but I don't think he'll have the grades.  Same for Burton.

Notwithstanding what folks have said about Bonneau, it's again hard to judge him without having seen him play, but he's got some incredible stats in terms of scoring and shooting, which are two things that we need.

All that being said, I'd use up at least two if not three of the ships.  Saving them for the next coach does Norm no good, as he's got to win now and a new coach (if there is one) can always make his own roster decisions going forward.

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
JJ   lets hear your opinion..

you will...

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »
there are some unsigned studs out there.  monasch should tell roberts to either get them or get out.  no contract extension. (assuming monasch has that power. i suspect he doesn't.)

sjd8886

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 01:52:03 PM »
with the remaining 3 scholarships available? Who would you sign? Would you use them all?

Be serious and realistic of what could happen. Give your reasons why....

I know this is gonna get crap for negativity but my opinion anyway is, save them for the next coach...if the right coach comes in next year that could be three 4 or 5 star recruits...and there has to be a new coach next year...im sorry, but i dont see this team, losing 2 impact players (impact players for us, not in general ;)), and gaining only one two star recuit doing much better than last year...and after 5 years of 10-16 wins, and no postseason i think either a new coach will be brought in or the fan base is going to drop off to the point where theres 2 or 3 members on this site

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 02:12:36 PM »
I'd like to know more about the British kid and the Canadian, but yeah, without seeing these guys, I can't say.  I'd sign Edmondson and leave the last 2 ships, and hope that Burrell/ Evans/ Thomas/ TJ/ Coker can last enough minutes against Big East competition. 

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2008, 02:32:43 PM »

I would like to see us sign Maze and or Edmonson.

We need a PG who can score and brake people down off the dribble.

I always like to look at the glass half full.

Landing Maze would be a big step in the right direction for our team. A scoring PG would be so so nice as it would help get easier shots for other players.

We are going to live and die with the players we already have on Campus.
Mason needs to stay healthy and learn to player better within the team concept.
Burrell needs to let the game come to him. I was really impressed with his low post moves and mid range shot. Needs to stay cool and focused
Rob Thomas needs to get in shape and regain his form of years past. I will always remember seeing him play at the ABCD camp 3 years ago and saying wow that kid is the best player on the court.
Coker get in better shape and continue to improve
Evans got better as the season went on, let see how good he can get over the summer.

DJ Shoot Shoot Shoot all summer.
Horne I think he is the player that will make the biggest step forward or in another word be the most improved. Again Shoot Shoot Shoot all summer.

Malik I love his leadership skills. Needs to be more offensive minded. Shoot Shoot Shoot all summer.

I think this team has a chance to be good, so lets give them a chance and support them. The kids are representing our school and they deserve our support.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »
Maze, Edmondson or Bonneau. (in that order)
Bonneau is a JC ,so if not BE level, only a 2 yr issue

take only 1 of them- Q Roberts is listed as a combo guard.
Only way u take 2 is if Edmondson or Bonneau sign now, then Maze says yes after.
(Edmondson is a combo also)

Pocket 2 schollys for 09 unless 4 star big or PG avail
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:40:14 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »
Neva seen any of them playaz. So I cant comment.

Alls I know is St. John need a point, badly.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.