What would you do?

• 33 replies

sjd8886

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »
im fine with malik runnin the point for 35 min a game, as long as he can do it without passing out from exhaustion...he's an energentic player with good basic basketball skills...other than that, we can use someone to fill in that other 5 min or so, anyone who can handle the ball and pass decently

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 05:09:34 PM »
malik was injury prone in high school.  he brings intelligence, speed and passion to the floor, but he can't score and never has.

we'll be hard pressed to win eleven games...even with a soft pre-big east schedule...with malik playing 35 minutes a game.  my guess is he gets much less...even if he's healthy.

sjd8886

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 05:13:09 PM »
yes, but ive always believed that if it comes down to relying on your point to score then you have major problems...malik scoring 6 a game next year will be enough if he plays smart and runs the game well

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »
1.) PG Maze,

2.) SG Suero/Kane/Kilpatrick if qualified), and

3.) Buljan

Maze and one of the above three 2Gs would be ideal.  Suero, Kane, and Kilpatrick all can score and we need scorers more than anything. 

If no Maze, got to sign Edmondson, Burton or Bonneau.  Need another PG.  Also need another big man and Buljan would seem to fit best being a JUCO. 

Poison

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 02:32:48 AM »
Neva seen any of them playaz. So I cant comment.

Alls I know is St. John need a point, badly.

Choz do you no longer think Boothe can run it?
Or just that we need a back up?

I saw potential from Boothe.

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »
Neva seen any of them playaz. So I cant comment.

Alls I know is St. John need a point, badly.

Choz do you no longer think Boothe can run it?
Or just that we need a back up?

I saw potential from Boothe.

Always been in MB's corner. Still am. Kid can run a team and D up, no doubt.
Just don't think any point should run 40 mins a game.
Need a back up in the badest of ways.   
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 10:57:45 AM »
I would like us to look exclusively JUCO route and use only 1-2 scholarships left saving one for 2009. I don't think we should go out and sign anyone for the sake of signing them because wasn't that excuse of why we've had so many transfers? Quality over quantity. I'd take Maze's ability on the court over anyone else however his past throws up caution to me then again maybe he has truly matured and changed. Basically though a 2 year commitment is much better than a 4 year at this point in my opinion. I'd also like us to lock up Kilpatrick for '09 and maybe start getting ahead of the curve instead of always being behind.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 03:10:56 PM »
I'm not big on JUCOs...they don't give much continuity to a program especially for a program that needs some.  Most JUCOs need time to adjust and then only have a year to contribute.  That being said I wouldn't turn down Maze.  He seems to be a guy that can help right away at a position of need.

...we need a PG to help Malik out.  I'm more concerned with a PG than a big man.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing us get involved with Melquan Bolding again.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 04:30:27 PM »
The team doesn't need continuity, they need wins.  And those wins will draw that talent base a little closer to St. John's - if StJ is even a borderline NCAA team, some kids will commit to play.  This staff has to win this year, JUCO might be the best way to go. 

And JUCOs would bring more roster stability; those guys will graduate in two years, and we currently have no one graduating then, i.e., no scholarships for Doron Lamb and the 2010 class. 

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 04:56:23 PM »
The team doesn't need continuity, they need wins.  And those wins will draw that talent base a little closer to St. John's - if StJ is even a borderline NCAA team, some kids will commit to play.  This staff has to win this year, JUCO might be the best way to go. 

And JUCOs would bring more roster stability; those guys will graduate in two years, and we currently have no one graduating then, i.e., no scholarships for Doron Lamb and the 2010 class. 

That's why I said I wouldn't turn down Maze...but the fact that the program has been a revolving door with only Geno Mason and TJ lasting more than 2 years is a problem.

Also there does not seem to be as many high impact JUCOs as there were due to the expansion of prep schools.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 06:59:04 PM »
A JUCO is not a bad route at this point, but it has to be a big time player.  I am not sure how many are out there.  Bonneau is not going to St. John's.  They talked with him before they really new what was going on with Q Roberts and edmunson.  He also is best friends with burrell.  Having seen him play many times his athletic ability is BE, but he is undersized and not a PG.  He is a SG and all his stats are legit as you can tell by them.  He is not a player who is going to run your team in the half court but like I said can make shots.  Also his defense is not bad he is like other young kids who dont always push themselves in that department.  He is a DI player just not BE, and there is nothing wrond with that.

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »
I wonder if Bonneau would want to walk on here?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13:19 PM »
His other problem is academics.  He will be cutting it close with getting his degree

mkras99

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »
I wonder if Bonneau would want to walk on here?
He can't w/o paying his own way from what I was told.  Apparently, since he was a recruit and officially visited campus we can't give him financial aid other than through an athletic scholarship.