SJU - Deep Tourney run..?

• 67 replies

pmg911

SJU - Deep Tourney run..?
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:44:41 AM »
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1732281-five-reasons-st-johns-will-make-a-deep-run-in-the-ncaa-tournament-this-season

Steve Lavin has had an up-and-down three seasons as head coach of St. John's. When Lavin was hired in April 2010, he made an immediate impact in the merciless Big East. A Cinderella-story 2010 season put the Red Storm back on the map and into the NCAA Tournament......

paultzman

Re: SJU - Deep Tourney run..?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:13:15 AM »
Nice summary. As we prognosticate over conference outcomes based on talent, I think it is also important to factor in in game coaching and game planning. These are huge factors in college basketball. In that regard, without too much understanding of what Whitesell brings to the table, his addition gives me much more confidence. I look forward to well planned, organized and strategically successful basketball. We have the horses and,I am sensing, the leadership and guidance to get this done.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:23:45 AM »
It's nice that we're getting attention, but can D'Angelo Harrison being reinstated not be the most significant? It's not even listed at all.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 08:58:44 AM »
I agree with Poison. D'Angelo's absence at the end of the season was, I think, a significant reason for our slide. His presence/firepower would have put us over the edge in the Providence and Marquette games. We need him to be cool and confident. If he comes back and he's putting up 18-19, without being a distraction, we will be very scary.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 09:44:22 AM »
Lots of factors will lead us to a deep run.

1) Arguably best scorer in the Big East back in business (D'Lo)
2). Return the leading shotblocker in the country and the best shotblocking team in the country
3) Return the rookie of the year in the Big East. 
4) Bring in arguably the best freshman PG in the Big East (Rysheed)
5) Depth, athleticism and overall experience
6) bring in Whitesell, a known tactician.

Could keep going, but we know we have the tools.  Now we need to show out on the court. 

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
I agree with Poison. D'Angelo's absence at the end of the season was, I think, a significant reason for our slide. His presence/firepower would have put us over the edge in the Providence and Marquette games. We need him to be cool and confident. If he comes back and he's putting up 18-19, without being a distraction, we will be very scary.

He is huge factor for the team and we need him to be a leader...

That being said though, I could easily see his scoring numbers dip a bit with improved play from Jakkar and the additions of Jordan & Sanchez. He will not be need to take as many shots with improved players around him.

derk

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

He is huge factor for the team and we need him to be a leader...

That being said though, I could easily see his scoring numbers dip a bit with improved play from Jakkar and the additions of Jordan & Sanchez. He will not be need to take as many shots with improved players around him.

He definitely forced 2-3 shots/game knowing his forced shot was still our best option at the time. Not the case this year.

DFF6

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »

He definitely forced 2-3 shots/game knowing his forced shot was still our best option at the time. Not the case this year.

With the talent on this team, a last second heave by D'lo on any consistent basis is unacceptable, and it's on Lavin & co. to ensure that our offense is not continously finding itself in that position.

ras

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
That was one of my criticisms of DLO, shot selection. We have many more options that has to change and his shooting % has to go up. That said, Dlo was my favorite player his FR year.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
Agree with DFF6 wholeheartedly.  Too many options this year to have that scenario on a regular basis.

TONYD3

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
Cant criticize Harrison. Yes he took bad shots. Because he had to. I would argue thatbhe should have shot even more. This year I hope he takes the same amount of shots, just hope the other guys are more of a threat so gets his shots easier.

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 01:24:28 PM »
Cant criticize Harrison. Yes he took bad shots. Because he had to. I would argue thatbhe should have shot even more. This year I hope he takes the same amount of shots, just hope the other guys are more of a threat so gets his shots easier.

We also need to work more plays to get D'Lo shooting off screens.  I'm am 100% certain that Whitesell was brought in to help us with our half-court offense. We have no problem with our transition game, but now that we have several good guards, can use a bit of new tweaks to our half-court game.

desco80

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 01:43:51 PM »
The predictions thread for this season is going to be real interesting. 

Foad

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 01:56:23 PM »
can use a bit of new tweaks to our half-court game.

Also, needing a bit of a tweak: Lindsey Lohan's commitment to sobriety and Michael Moore's diet.

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
I  wouldn't put any stock into this article.  It's Bleacher Report so literally anyone can write an article and from a quick look at his profile the writer isn't any more qualified than any random wacko on these boards.

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
The most interesting thing to me will be the question of what came first the circle offense or the human circle. It is the little brother of the aged old chicken and egg question. Was Phil's dribbling around aimlessly a result of Lavin's offense or was Lavin's offense stymied by Phil's circle dribbling?

boo3

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 03:25:01 PM »
The most interesting thing to me will be the question of what came first the circle offense or the human circle. It is the little brother of the aged old chicken and egg question. Was Phil's dribbling around aimlessly a result of Lavin's offense or was Lavin's offense stymied by Phil's circle dribbling?

Figured you would have some new material by now..

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 03:26:25 PM »

Figured you would have some new material by now..

And an update on Harrison to Baylor prediction.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 04:22:09 PM »

Phil also had a hip labrum tear last season which probably didn't allow him to play as aggressively as he wanted.  This year he should be healthy and hopefully coaching additions help Greene understand what he needs to do.

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
I just want to make the tournament first