SJU - Deep Tourney run..?

• 67 replies
Re: SJU - Deep Tourney run..?
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »
"...Jim Whitesell, the former St. Louis Billikens associate head coach, will provide great x's and o's for a team coming in with some excellent shooters. Red Storm fans can expect to see consistent open looks for perimeter shooters, such as Marco Bourgault and Max Hooper. D'Angelo Harrison, pending a lifted suspension, could greatly benefit from Whitesell in off-ball guard scenarios...."

Let's hope he's right on this.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »
"...Jim Whitesell, the former St. Louis Billikens associate head coach, will provide great x's and o's for a team coming in with some excellent shooters. Red Storm fans can expect to see consistent open looks for perimeter shooters, such as Marco Bourgault and Max Hooper. D'Angelo Harrison, pending a lifted suspension, could greatly benefit from Whitesell in off-ball guard scenarios...."

In terms of a reason to believe that we'll be good, I think it's right on. Whitesell, like Jordan and Sanchez fill a glaring need for us.
We ran one ugly offense last season, and I applaud Lavin for recognizing something that needed to be addressed. I don't believe our previous coaches were big enough to admit where they needed help. Lavin, clearly is wise enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses. I think he'll be successful here overall because of that. And because he's a kick-ass recruiter.

Tiznow

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:37 PM »
Lots of factors will lead us to a deep run.

1) Arguably best scorer in the Big East back in business (D'Lo)
2). Return the leading shotblocker in the country and the best shotblocking team in the country
3) Return the rookie of the year in the Big East. 
4) Bring in arguably the best freshman PG in the Big East (Rysheed)
5) Depth, athleticism and overall experience
6) bring in Whitesell, a known tactician.

Could keep going, but we know we have the tools.  Now we need to show out on the court.

That is without mentioning the glue guy.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:46 AM »
Lots of factors will lead us to a deep run.

1) Arguably best scorer in the Big East back in business (D'Lo)
2). Return the leading shotblocker in the country and the best shotblocking team in the country
3) Return the rookie of the year in the Big East. 
4) Bring in arguably the best freshman PG in the Big East (Rysheed)
5) Depth, athleticism and overall experience
6) bring in Whitesell, a known tactician.

Could keep going, but we know we have the tools.  Now we need to show out on the court.

That is without mentioning the glue guy.

Certainly Sir'Dom.  As I said, there are more.  Point is we still need to put it together now.  I think we will.

DFF6

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 11:39:40 AM »
For a lot of reasons, the team must put it together this season. Word is out that SJU is stocked with talented, experienced players, and with Jordan and Sanchez giving us two desperately needed pieces, there are no more excuses. If the team doesn't do much better this season, I think Lavin's perceived credibility as a big time college coach takes a serious hit. Lavin himself has often said this year would be the year we would see the benefits of what he has been building materialize. Maybe Whitesell will be the difference, or maybe another year's maturity will be the catalyst,  or maybe Jordan/Sanchez are the spark plugs we needed. Whatever the reason, there will be no more excuses for failure.

Foad

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
Word is out that SJU is stocked with talented, experienced players,

Weird how we went from the youngest team in America to experienced in 5 months. Must be a leap year.

DFF6

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »
Word is out that SJU is stocked with talented, experienced players,

Weird how we went from the youngest team in America to experienced in 5 months. Must be a leap year.

It is weird, considering this year we have 1 freshman, 4 sophs (with 20 year old Sampson among them), 5 juniors, and 3 seniors, with Sanchez being closer to 30 than 18. 

uwsfan

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »

In terms of a reason to believe that we'll be good, I think it's right on. Whitesell, like Jordan and Sanchez fill a glaring need for us.
We ran one ugly offense last season, and I applaud Lavin for recognizing something that needed to be addressed. I don't believe our previous coaches were big enough to admit where they needed help. Lavin, clearly is wise enough to recognize his strengths and weaknesses. I think he'll be successful here overall because of that. And because he's a kick-ass recruiter.

Lavins hiring of Whitesell shows wisdom and maturity that he perhaps lacked when younger at UCLA. Having a guy like Whitesell on the bench and in practice along with Lavins recruiting and motivational prowess could result in lavin being an all-time great when all is said and done. This St. Johns stint will be his legacy, it will be the one on his gravestone. I think he understands this and is willing to do what it takes to succeed.

This is one of the most talented teams in the nation this year. Now experienced and much improved coaching with Whitesell, I am predicting a very deep tourney run. This team has real Final-4 potential
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:30:39 PM by uwsfan »

gman

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2013, 11:17:19 AM »

That is really what has been missing this team for years.  I feel like we have never had sets to get shooters (not that we have had many of them) open looks. 

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »
looks like the team plugged its four biggest holes from last year:

1) a true point guard

2) a gameday coach

3) outside shooting

4) an overall lack of matury.

so yeah...predicting a deep run...why not.  go st john's.

hnk

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2013, 12:45:15 PM »
Rebounding?

lihoop

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

1. Rysheed
2. rebounding
3. depth
4. an X's an O's coach
5. Hopefully Hooper or Marco step up

crgreen

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2013, 02:44:15 PM »
Rebounding?

Gift and Sanchez.  We return literally all of our rebounding, and Gift's 2012 total of 191 boards would have been 2nd to Obekpa's 204 last season.   Expecting the 6'9 JC all america Sanchez to add an additional 5 or more a game is MORE than likely as well.   

hnk

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
i agree. Just pointing out we lacked it last year and should improve this year.

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
With our depth can't see how both Marco and max both play. Honestly not expecting much. Occasional zone buster would be great. Don't think either is a factor

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 09:33:37 PM »
With our depth can't see how both Marco and max both play. Honestly not expecting much. Occasional zone buster would be great. Don't think either is a factor

zone buster is a factor.  but i do see your point.  both will be competing with Dom for minutes...but u never know.  especially if these guys can prove their worth.  plenty of competition at each position this year.  nice problem to have.

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2013, 09:48:11 PM »
What gets me really excited for this upcoming season is thinking back at last years Marquette game. We took an elite 8 team to OT without these five players; Rysheed, Dlo, Dom, Orlando, and gift. Plus the addition of anther shooter and a tactician. Who knows, those five players I mentioned could make up our best lineup.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 01:21:11 AM »
Rebounding?

Gift and Sanchez.  We return literally all of our rebounding, and Gift's 2012 total of 191 boards would have been 2nd to Obekpa's 204 last season.   Expecting the 6'9 JC all america Sanchez to add an additional 5 or more a game is MORE than likely as well.   

I think Gift could be a decent role player, but if we're counting on him to rebound, we are in deep sh*t. The guy is strong, intelligent and hard working, but he has zero instinct for rebounding the ball. We should start him against Bucknell, but barring dramatic improvement, he shoukd be getting 10-15 minutes per game.

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 06:51:49 AM »
Cue the stat...

crgreen

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 07:23:14 AM »
Rebounding?

I think Gift could be a decent role player, but if we're counting on him to rebound, we are in deep sh*t. The guy is strong, intelligent and hard working, but he has zero instinct for rebounding the ball. We should start him against Bucknell, but barring dramatic improvement, he shoukd be getting 10-15 minutes per game.

Or we could start him against Kentucky - against whom he had 10 boards.   Or against Pitt, where he had 12 boards.  Rutgers where he had 8.   Detroit where he had 8.   Marquette, WVU where he had 7.   Also had 5 or more against Duke, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Georgetown, South Florida.   (That's ommitting the 8 or more he had against "lesser" opponents like Lehigh, Fordham, UMBC, Wm&Mary, Texas-Pan American).

I get you don't like his "instincts" - but his production in an area we were weak last season is in black and white.