Chad Ford's Top 100 2014 Draft Prospects

• 57 replies

DFF6

Re: Chad Ford's Top 100 2014 Draft Prospects
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 01:28:52 PM »
I truly don't see Obekpa as even a remote nba prospect right now.  I can't even fathom how someone would think he's more of a prospect than Jakarr.   Makes no sense to me. 

While I agree with you he's not ready for the NBA, teams will draft you based on raw potential. NBA scouts are probably drooling over his shot-blocking.

Love Obekpa as a player, but I don't know how well a 6'9 shot-blocking extraordinaire with below average offensive skills (relative to other first round picks) translates in the NBA.  If he's a 7 footer with the same skill set, then it's almost a no-brainer; he would be gone after this season.

Serge Ibaka?

He's the only one that I thought of too, but I think Ibaka is naturally more explosive/athletic than Obekpa (FWIW, Ibaka is also listed as 6'10), and while Ibaka never played college ball, when he was playing in Spain professionally when he was around 17-18 for L’Hospitalet and DKV Joventut (clubs considered by some to rival the competition in the NBA D-League) he averaged 13.3 points, nine rebounds and 1.7 blocks his first year, and then 11.3 points, 8.2 rebounds and 3 blocks (league leading) his second year.  Maybe this year, Obekpa shows big all-around improvement and he's gone.  We'll see.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:30:16 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
I think Obekpa has better shot blocking instincts than Ibaka.

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 02:09:20 PM »
I truly don't see Obekpa as even a remote nba prospect right now.  I can't even fathom how someone would think he's more of a prospect than Jakarr.   Makes no sense to me. 

While I agree with you he's not ready for the NBA, teams will draft you based on raw potential. NBA scouts are probably drooling over his shot-blocking.

Love Obekpa as a player, but I don't know how well a 6'9 shot-blocking extraordinaire with below average offensive skills (relative to other first round picks) translates in the NBA.  If he's a 7 footer with the same skill set, then it's almost a no-brainer; he would be gone after this season.

Serge Ibaka?

Can shoot the ball.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 02:27:36 PM »

Serge Ibaka?

Can shoot the ball.

But, he didn't have that shot when he first entered the league.

desco80

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »

Serge Ibaka?

Can shoot the ball.

+1
Ibaka was a 75% free throw shooter last season, and 35% from 3pt (20-57).  That's nothing to sneeze at.

That's why I said what I did.  I agree with Dff6, I love Obekpa; and for us it's a treat to see him play, but I think experts are too quick to toss around the phrase he "just needs to add a post up game" and then he'll be set.  Well.. that's like having a point guard who "just needs to learn to dribble".   
I think he gets the benefit of the doubt though, because if anyone is going to take a big leap forward, you would think it would be the guy who hasn't been playing the game very long. 

That said, I'll stick to my original point: I truthfully don't see him as an nba prospect.  And guys like Jakarr are having their prospects understated. 

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »

Serge Ibaka?

Can shoot the ball.

Agreed.  He's honestly still developing his offensive repertoire.

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »

Serge Ibaka?

Can shoot the ball.

I didn't mean it as a shot at Chris. Chris will get every opportunity in the world to be a professional basketball player simply because he has an absolutely elite skill in blocking shots. I just don't see that much of a comparison between Him and Ibaka, they both block a lot of shots but really that's it IMO, Ibaka a better athlete and offensive player. Chris will be a better rebounder/shot blocker and that's his ticket, become a dominating shot blocker AND dominate rebounder and the scouts will look past the offensive game a little more.

SJUFAN

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
I think Obekpa has better shot blocking instincts than Ibaka.

Ibaka is a much better on the ball defender, something Chris needs to improve on.

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
I love comparisons between college freshmen and NBA players.

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2013, 05:09:16 PM »
I think Obekpa's a great NBA prospect, but also the poster boy for a player who will benefit from additional time in college. Better he develop his game against college players than move on before he's ready and try to build a game when he's up against bigger, stronger men with already-developed skills.

LJSA

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 09:36:32 PM »
The NBA will no doubt crave his natural shotblocking ability, but isn't Obekpa really only 6'7.5"? He's crazy if he leaves any time soon.

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 10:51:27 PM »
Put out a new list today. Jakarr came in at 74 and Obekpa was 88.

Have to have Insider to see the whole list: http://insider.espn.go.com/nbadraft/results/top100/_/year/2014

Sampson definitely has NBA potential, but he really needs to work on that shot.  His athleticism is off the charts and he's a real solid defender, but that line drive shot of his won't translate to the next level.  If he can improve it, the sky is the limit.

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »
The NBA will no doubt crave his natural shotblocking ability, but isn't Obekpa really only 6'7.5"? He's crazy if he leaves any time soon.

I really don't think he I'd that short. I would bet he's closer to 6'9 than he is 6'7

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »
I think jakarr stays but Chris leaves after this year

Agreed.

Few people realize that Obekpa flirted with leaving for the league last year. Not saying it would be wise but wouldn't be surprising.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 07:44:11 AM »

Agreed.

Few people realize that Obekpa flirted with leaving for the league last year. Not saying it would be wise but wouldn't be surprising.

If that pans out, one would hope there are quality bigs out there in Juco ranks to fill a huge void in the middle with exit of Gift, Sanchez and Chris. It is conjecture on CO, but quite a vulnerability. DelaRosa, if successfully recruited, in no way can fill this need immediately. Perhaps Goodluck could, but I doubt we get him. Obviously staff is preparing for this possibility if Dave's sense is on target.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:14:57 AM by paultzman »

DFF6

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2013, 07:50:30 AM »

Agreed.

Wow. Thanks for the insight Dave.  Given this tidbit and assuming Obekpa leaves this year regardless of whether it's the best call, and if Sampson has a great year and leaves, with Sanchez and GG gone, our front court consists of C Jones and Pointer next year.  Lavin will need to pull some rabbits out of his hat come the spring signing period. 

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2013, 08:24:48 AM »
I didn't realize that CO flirted with leaving this year, and unless his offensive game gets 100000% better, I think it would be a mistake for him to leave after this season.  Both should stay and develop into guaranteed first round picks.

paultzman

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
I didn't realize that CO flirted with leaving this year, and unless his offensive game gets 100000% better, I think it would be a mistake for him to leave after this season.  Both should stay and develop into guaranteed first round picks.

Logic is often trumped by personal need, bad advice and impulsivity. I'm not going to worry about this and enjoy this season.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2013, 08:39:01 AM »

Logic is often trumped by personal need, bad advice and impulsivity. I'm not going to worry about this and enjoy this season.

Obekpa should watch tape of Okafor when he played at Uconn. That guy 5X better than him, and he played college ball for 3 years, and then became a #1 pick.

paultzman

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2013, 09:35:48 AM »

Obekpa should watch tape of Okafor when he played at Uconn. That guy 5X better than him, and he played college ball for 3 years, and then became a #1 pick.

Agree