Who will be top 3 contributors off the bench?

• 24 replies
Who will be top 3 contributors off the bench?
« on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »
Handful of names that can be tossed around. This team is deep.

Assume starters are-  (Phil Greene, D'Angelo Harrison, Sir'Dom Pointer, JaKarr Sampson, and Orlando Sanchez)
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Who will be top 3 contributors off the bench?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 10:37:33 AM »
Assuming those are the starters, I think Branch is a big contributor off the bench.  However, I think Branch starts over Phil.

ras

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 10:45:58 AM »
Phil starting the 1 over Sheed and Branch doesn't seem right to me. Assuming your lineup, Branch, Sheed and CO will be huge contributers, they will play a lot of minutes.

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »
With those starters I'd sat Jamal Rysheed and Chris, but I don't think Phil will start and I think we'll have as many as 9 different starters.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
I can't see how Greene starting over two point guards is a good idea. The team needs a distributor. Greene needs to come off the bench and spell Harrison. Branch/Jordan should fight it out for the starting PG job.

I see Greene,  Jordan, Sanchez and Hooper being the biggest bench contributors.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:55:22 PM »
Obepka, Jordan, and Branch.

While I think Greene will spend some time  at the point.  I think with Jordan and Branch...Greene will get more time at SG than Pg
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 02:06:21 PM »

Assume starters are-  (Phil Greene, D'Angelo Harrison, Sir'Dom Pointer, JaKarr Sampson, and Orlando Sanchez)

If Phil starts we will continue to struggle to get easy baskets

Poison

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »

Also, he's not even playing ball yet, so whatever improvement we could have seen in him over the summer is lost. Branch probably got healthy, saw that Jordan was coming and turned his summer into a consistent workout. Lavin, overall, has had pretty good success with predicting successful Johnny players.

I have been saying the same thing about Branch since the moment he started playing. When he gets into the lane, he's one of the best point guards in the league. When he hangs back, and tries to run the half court offense by throwing it around the perimeter, he's just another player, not a PG. He has to take control of the position. Personally, I'm less concerned with his 3 point shooting now that Harrison, Hooper, Sanchez and Bourgault will be on the roster. Greene can't find the open shooter. We cannot beat a zone with him at the point. It has to be Branch or Jordan, or we won't reach our potential this season.

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 02:32:43 PM »

Also, he's not even playing ball yet, so whatever improvement we could have seen in him over the summer is lost. Branch probably got healthy, saw that Jordan was coming and turned his summer into a consistent workout. Lavin, overall, has had pretty good success with predicting successful Johnny players.

I have been saying the same thing about Branch since the moment he started playing. When he gets into the lane, he's one of the best point guards in the league. When he hangs back, and tries to run the half court offense by throwing it around the perimeter, he's just another player, not a PG. He has to take control of the position. Personally, I'm less concerned with his 3 point shooting now that Harrison, Hooper, Sanchez and Bourgault will be on the roster. Greene can't find the open shooter. We cannot beat a zone with him at the point. It has to be Branch or Jordan, or we won't reach our potential this season.

Well said. I think our best lineup will have Branch, Jordan,  and  Dlo in it.

jr49

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »

Then you think we are at our best without Pointer in the line up?

desco80

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 03:46:22 PM »
Branch, Jordan, Obekpa ... In that order

And I think it's obvious to everyone except coach that the team is better when Phil doesn't start.   

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 04:13:28 PM »
Think Phil would be very good healthy and off the bench

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »

Then you think we are at our best without Pointer in the line up?

Depending on matchups, yes. Like Dom a lot but think that group could be better 1-3.

crgreen

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »

Since there's a difference between "best" off the bench, an biggest contrributor off the bench....given your suggested likeup of  Jakar and Sanchez at the 4-5, I'd go with Gift and Chris + Rysheed.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
Starters are Sampson, Sanchez, Jordan, DLO and CO..  Branch, greene, pointer,etc come off bench

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
Branch, Dlo, Pointer, Jakarr, Sanchez start.  Top 3 off the bench are CO, Rysheed and Phil.  Gift also in the rotation.

boo3

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 12:03:08 PM »
 Greene, if healthy, will be a much more productive player coming off the bench. Only if Branch and Jordan are injured should he start.

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 12:10:18 PM »
Way way too early to tell.
We havent seen a minute yet of Rysheed,  Orlando or Max.

I'm guessing Branch, Harrison, Pointer, JaKarr & CO start the season.
But Rysheed & Orlando plenty of minutes at start & depending on play
 could be starting by conf sched.  No one plays over 30 min/g

10 man rotation incl above & Phil, Felix & Gift, but these 3 only 12-15 min/g
Max, Jones & Marco less than 8 min/game, unless Max lights it up.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:12:29 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »
If season goes well, you could potentially lose Harrison and Sampson and you def lose Sanchez. In my mind, especially if he is not yet 100% healthy redshirting Greene would make sense to me. Just a thought.

boo3

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21:47 PM »
If season goes well, you could potentially lose Harrison and Sampson and you def lose Sanchez. In my mind, especially if he is not yet 100% healthy redshirting Greene would make sense to me. Just a thought.

I was thinking the same thing yesterday... Agree with this, if his hip is still a issue.