Some Key Questions for Season

• 36 replies

paultzman

Some Key Questions for Season
« on: August 21, 2013, 10:21:59 AM »
Will Branch evidence greater durability & proficiency in half court offense?

Will Whitesell help improve post up play, game planning & in game adjustments?

Will the infusion of Sanchez & Jordan improve our passing ability and generate more assists?

Will our defensive rebounding improve, leading to more breakaways?

Will our perimeter game improve & benefit from strategic use of Max or Marco and, for first time in a century, keep teams honest?

Will better players around D'Lo enable him to shoot more consistently?

Can we split with Wisconsin & Cuse, run the table with rest of OCS games, get 11 or 12 conference wins plus 2 in BE Tourney? Feel free to play with this one.

Can Jordan be fully integrated into lineup by start of BE play?

Can we develop a more aggressive, yet effective defense? 

Obviously some random, not terribly thought out questions, as I sit on the beach. I intentionally left out issues like injuries, academic problems, suspensions, tsunamis, etc.

MCNPA

Re: Some Key Questions for Season
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »

Will the infusion of Sanchez & Jordan improve our passing ability and generate more assists?

Will our perimeter game improve & benefit from strategic use of Max or Marco and, for first time in a century, keep teams honest?

Can we split with Wisconsin & Cuse, run the table with rest of OCS games, get 11 or 12 conference wins plus 2 in BE Tourney? Feel free to play with this one.

Obviously some random, not terribly thought out questions, as I sit on the beach. I intentionally left out issues like injuries, academic problems, suspensions, tsunamis, etc.

1) I don't think Branch has failed to be durable.  He sat too much to get comfortable last year which included all OOC early season games.  When he finally got comfortable, we were playing our best ball of the year.  Then he unfortunately suffered an injury that he couldn't get up to speed quickly after.  I think he'll be fine should his knee be all healed up, barring another fluke  injury of some type.

2) Heres a description of Jim Whitesell's instructional DVD's.  It's clear he was brought in to help us with our set offense.  We already run a 3-out 2-in set for the most part.  Now though, we have forwards and centers we can utilize in the high post a bit more.

"You can never have too many winning set plays to run out of your offensive sets! In this excellent presentation (filmed at one of the best demonstration clinics in the US), Coach Whitesell shares a selection of set plays that he runs out of his 3 out 2 in offense. After a quick overview of his 3 out 2 in offense, he shows the three main sets he uses out of it - "Attack", "Eagle", and "Grizzly". Out of those three sets, there are endless set play options; Coach Whitesell shows you 19 of them. These 19 plays are first run without a defense and gradually you will see them ran against a full defense and then out of a transition situation. Coach Whitesell uses all of these plays to get every one of his players open and in a scoring situation. Each one of these plays has many different options and if ran all the way through, each player will touch the ball and have a chance to do something. Once you have gone through most of the plays, Whitesell shows you what to do when the opposing teams scout your team and starts over-playing certain players and situations. These plays can be ran as part of a 3 out 2 in offense or they can be ran as special plays out of any offense."

"This DVD presents many outstanding ideas for mixing up set offense to maximize your scoring potential. Generally, your plays can be run the same while looking different. Coach Whitesell does a great job of disguising his set plays with wrinkles and formations that you can use with your team. Other components of efficient offensive play he touches on include are making plays on the offensive end when the set play breaks down, limiting turnovers, monitoring screening and post touches. Formations that will disguise your sets include the 1-2-2 and the 1-4 alignments. These formations will get your set play started and dictate movement to the defense. Plays can flow into your motion offense or the 3 out-2 in or 4 out-1 in set. Next, Whitesell features and explains "Rambler" and "Grizzlie" as two excellent set play formations. From a 1-4 set, Whitesell shares a game winning play called "Phillie." This play clears the right wing for your best player to score at the end of the game. Several options and continuations can be utilized from this one play. By nullifying the game preparation factor, your team can win many more games this season."
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:31:52 AM by MCNPA »

MCNPA

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
Furthermore, our defense was quite effective for the most part, and often very aggressive.  We just weren't consistent with it, and didn't close out on shooters well.  There are two sides to that though.  A team like Syracuse doesn't even try to close out on shooters with their zone.  They just let you shoot and rely more on defensive boards.  Therein lies the problem for us in that we not only didn't close out on shooters, but we're poor on defensive glass.  Gotta do one or the other if not both. 

As far as as Ryaheed goes, I certainly think he can get up to speed by Big East play.  The kid needs to be healthy though.  I was hoping he'd be healthy and playing in Europe.  For a freshman, it would have helped a ton.  He'll be slightly behind the curve because he's not on the court right now.  We will need him playing well though to make a run.  Branch is good and a mean passer on the break, but he can't get to the hole like Rysheed does nor score like he does.  Rysheed creates dribble drive opportunities for assists that can't be denied.  Need him on the court as soon as we can.

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 10:53:15 AM »
i think a another key question you forgot is can we improve the three point shot this year with hooper and bourgault?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:55:45 AM by redstorm89 »

paultzman

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 10:55:38 AM »
a think a another key question you forgot is can we improve the three point shot this year with hooper and bourgault?

5th question

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 11:07:18 AM »
to me can we shoot better from downtown and can we rebound better on defensive sets

MCNPA

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:19 AM »
I don't think that shooting better from downtown is our most important issue.  To be an effective shooting team in general, we need solid post scoring.  Biggest question is whether Sampson, Sanchez, Gift and Obekpa can score with the ball down low.  If we can, it creates all different types of dribble penetration opportunities to open up our guys shot.  D'Lo is a solid shooter, but he'd be a heck of a lot more consistent if he got some good looks.  Rysheed is a solid outside shooter.  Hooper and Bourgault can shoot.  If we can suck defenses in a bit though, we'll be taking bad shots and in the same predicament. 

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
"Can we split with Wisconsin & Cuse, run the table with rest of OCS games, get 11 or 12 conference wins plus 2 in BE Tourney? Feel free to play with this one."

I think we can do all of the above.  I think we can even beat both Cuse and Wisconsin.  No reason to believe that we shouldnt be able to.  We have enough depth, skill, size, athleticism to do so.  Now we need that winning formula to come together.  I'd certainly be pleased with a split of Cuse and Wisconsin, but I don't think either of those teams are above our level is year.  They will be wars, but winnable nonetheless. 

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 01:48:18 PM »
I think on paper the team CAN beat every team they're playing.  Just hope that they WILL beat every team that they should and then have a good record in the other games.  Tougher games:

Wisconsin in SD
Syracuse at Home
Both against G-Town, Marquette, Creighton and Nova
Road against Butler, Xavier, Providence

Go 7-6 in those and only lose 1 they shouldn't and team is 23-7.  Respectable.  Play great and go 9-4 in those and win all the ones they should and the team is top 10.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 02:06:34 PM »
I think on paper the team CAN beat every team they're playing.  Just hope that they WILL beat every team that they should and then have a good record in the other games.  Tougher games:

Wisconsin in SD
Syracuse at Home
Both against G-Town, Marquette, Creighton and Nova
Road against Butler, Xavier, Providence

Go 7-6 in those and only lose 1 they shouldn't and team is 23-7.  Respectable.  Play great and go 9-4 in those and win all the ones they should and the team is top 10.  ;)

Great post. Think well win 22-25 games.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »

I'd also add as a question. Actually 2 questions which will kind of reflect how well we are doing as a team

How long will the the line at the bronx pale ale booth outside our section ( very imprtant to know to get there early enough so as not to miss the beginning of the game if all the sudden we are going to have to start dealing with lines )

How long will the bathrooms lines be ( very important for after the game when rushing to catch the train home after game )

Actually 3rd question. How many garden games will Gman and Kira be sitting with us in our section

Toss in 4th question since I'm bored and the market is down. Will the tee-shirt cannon finally reach up to our seats )

Enjoy your beach R&R  Hopefully we are going to have a lot to celebrate about this year in 114
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 02:14:42 PM by mjmaherjr »

MCNPA

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 02:59:22 PM »

I'd also add as a question. Actually 2 questions which will kind of reflect how well we are doing as a team

How long will the the line at the bronx pale ale booth outside our section ( very imprtant to know to get there early enough so as not to miss the beginning of the game if all the sudden we are going to have to start dealing with lines )

How long will the bathrooms lines be ( very important for after the game when rushing to catch the train home after game )

Actually 3rd question. How many garden games will Gman and Kira be sitting with us in our section

Toss in 4th question since I'm bored and the market is down. Will the tee-shirt cannon finally reach up to our seats )

Enjoy your beach R&R  Hopefully we are going to have a lot to celebrate about this year in 114

Mjmaher...  I will say that your question #1 is compounded by the fact that we have 12pm start times for games last year, and beer can't be sold in Sundays til 12.   It definitely caused some difficulties in both procuring beer and watching thhe game.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »

Mjmaher...  I will say that your question #1 is compounded by the fact that we have 12pm start times for games last year, and beer can't be sold in Sundays til 12.   It definitely caused some difficulties in both procuring beer and watching thhe game.
Yeah that's an even potential bigger problem. Was funny that time before that sunday game when I was walking into msg and you were standing there waiting for the beer line to open also. That 12pm law or rule isnt a good one

redslope

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »

Be careful what you ask for--with your luck the tee shirt cannon will reach your seats and dump your beer in your lap

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Good questions paultz. I share many of the same thoughts and an very optimistic that we will be able to answer them.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »

Be careful what you ask for--with your luck the tee shirt cannon will reach your seats and dump your beer in your lap
Yeah true that wouldnt be good. Those MSG Bronx Pale Ale's arent cheap

Tiznow

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »
Here's a question you left off the list:

Will we have the same crappy refs this season?

Poison

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »
I don't think that shooting better from downtown is our most important issue.  To be an effective shooting team in general, we need solid post scoring.  Biggest question is whether Sampson, Sanchez, Gift and Obekpa can score with the ball down low.  If we can, it creates all different types of dribble penetration opportunities to open up our guys shot.  D'Lo is a solid shooter, but he'd be a heck of a lot more consistent if he got some good looks.  Rysheed is a solid outside shooter.  Hooper and Bourgault can shoot.  If we can suck defenses in a bit though, we'll be taking bad shots and in the same predicament. 

I wish Bourgault all the best but saying he can shoot is insane. He had two good shooting games. So has every guard we've ever had.  Biggest problem with STJ is they can't hit a wide open shot. There are other issues, but shooting is our biggest concern, and frankly has been for over two decades.

MCNPA

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 12:39:59 AM »

I wish Bourgault all the best but saying he can shoot is insane. He had two good shooting games. So has every guard we've ever had.  Biggest problem with STJ is they can't hit a wide open shot. There are other issues, but shooting is our biggest concern, and frankly has been for over two decades.

Louisville wasn't a great shooting team last year and won it all.  Shooting certainly is important, but being snipers from the outside isn't required to win.  We need guys that can score in the post as much or more, and dribble penetration required to create those opportunities which is all I was saying.  I'd certainly love more shooters.  D'Lo can be a good one if he takes good shots.  Hooper certainly can shoot.  Rysheed was a good shooter in Hs and so on.  We certainly won't lead the league in 3pt percentage, but I think we'll be better.

TONYD3

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »
Maybe Louisville wasn't a great shoot team but they weren't bad . Besides Harrison were bad