Some Key Questions for Season

• 36 replies
Re: Some Key Questions for Season
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 01:07:24 PM »
harrison is and presumably always will be a thirty five percent shooter.  what makes him special is he's usually clutch.

branch will be the key.  lavin says he's GREATLY improved from last year.  if he can be as good as barkley, we're going places.  i don't think that statement is far fetched.  he and pointer will be our two best players, pointer is no stat sheet stuffer, but he does everything.

sampson will give us his usual solid game.

hooper could be a game changer.  bourgault will be a good practice player.  sanchez will give us eight points and five boards a game.  god's gift won't hurt us if one of the starters is in foul trouble.  obekpa will be solid while not trying to set shot blocking records.

jordan is gravy.

i expect a deep ncaa run.

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »
  Hancock on L'ville was/is a lights out shooter from any distance. They don't win last year without his clutch shooting.. Plus, he's got enough in other parts of the game to prevent teams from thinking of him as only a shooter..He can bang inside and score inside too!

We don't have a Hancock on our team but, if Hooper is the dead eye 3pt shooter he's reputed to be, it will help us immensely in breaking down the Zones we'll see in 90% of our games.

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »
harrison is and presumably always will be a thirty five percent shooter.  what makes him special is he's usually clutch.

branch will be the key.  lavin says he's GREATLY improved from last year.  if he can be as good as barkley, we're going places.  i don't think that statement is far fetched.  he and pointer will be our two best players, pointer is no stat sheet stuffer, but he does everything.

hooper could be a game changer.  bourgault will be a good practice player.  sanchez will give us eight points and five boards a game.  god's gift won't hurt us if one of the starters is in foul trouble.  obekpa will be solid while not trying to set shot blocking records.

jordan is gravy.

were you at the game?

tnice

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 02:50:07 PM »
I don't think that shooting better from downtown is our most important issue.  To be an effective shooting team in general, we need solid post scoring.  Biggest question is whether Sampson, Sanchez, Gift and Obekpa can score with the ball down low.  If we can, it creates all different types of dribble penetration opportunities to open up our guys shot.  D'Lo is a solid shooter, but he'd be a heck of a lot more consistent if he got some good looks.  Rysheed is a solid outside shooter.  Hooper and Bourgault can shoot.  If we can suck defenses in a bit though, we'll be taking bad shots and in the same predicament. 

You've been making the point since last year that improving our "post scoring" that it will somehow improve our three point shooting and its just not true. Actually its the exact opposite...by improving our three point shooting, our front line scoring will improve greatly.

Someone brought up Louisville as an example...you know the biggest reason why Louisville was so good? It wasn't because of Hancock and it wasn't because Deng had a variety of Olajuwon-like moves in the post. Its because they had 2 or 3 guys on the court- not just Hancock- who could shoot the three. When a defense has to cover that much more ground, it creates opportunities for the big fellas...not back to the basket "post moves", but dump offs from penetration or ball movement, alley oops, offensive rebounding opportunities. We had one guy who could shoot the three, Harrison, so the rest of the D would slough off in the paint and they'd lock down D Lo and dare the rest of the team to shoot. Obekpa could spend a year at big man camp...that's not going to help him if he's got three guys sitting on him in the zone and he cant get the ball in good position. (Although hopefully he's improved his hands o'stone).  You add another shooter to the mix and either they cant sell out on DLo, or it opens things up in the paint.

Having a couple of guys who can knock down a three, combined with successful implementation of Whitesell's offense (a read and react, option based offense? Glory Hallelujah!) are the most important ingredients to this years success. Improved frontline scoring will be a nice secondary benefit if those things happen.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:57:35 PM by tnice »

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
I don't think that shooting better from downtown is our most important issue.  To be an effective shooting team in general, we need solid post scoring.  Biggest question is whether Sampson, Sanchez, Gift and Obekpa can score with the ball down low.  If we can, it creates all different types of dribble penetration opportunities to open up our guys shot.  D'Lo is a solid shooter, but he'd be a heck of a lot more consistent if he got some good looks.  Rysheed is a solid outside shooter.  Hooper and Bourgault can shoot.  If we can suck defenses in a bit though, we'll be taking bad shots and in the same predicament. 

You've been making the point since last year that improving our "post scoring" that it will somehow improve our three point shooting and its just not true. Actually its the exact opposite...by improving our three point shooting, our front line scoring will improve greatly.

Someone brought up Louisville as an example...you know the biggest reason why Louisville was so good? It wasn't because of Hancock and it wasn't because Deng had a variety of Olajuwon-like moves in the post. Its because they had 2 or 3 guys on the court- not just Hancock- who could shoot the three. When a defense has to cover that much more ground, it creates opportunities for the big fellas...not back to the basket "post moves", but dump offs from penetration or ball movement, alley oops, offensive rebounding opportunities. We had one guy who could shoot the three, Harrison, so the rest of the D would slough off in the paint and they'd lock down D Lo and dare the rest of the team to shoot. Obekpa could spend a year at big man camp...that's not going to help him if he's got three guys sitting on him in the zone and he cant get the ball in good position. (Although hopefully he's improved his hands o'stone).

Having a couple of guys who can knock down a three, combined with successful implementation of Whitesell's offense (a read and react, option based offense? Glory Hallelujah!) are the most important ingredients to this years success. Improved frontline scoring will be a nice secondary benefit if those things happen.

Some think chicken, some think egg. I think your both right.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 04:31:00 PM »
I like turtles

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 05:53:51 PM »

Someone brought up Louisville as an example...you know the biggest reason why Louisville was so good? It wasn't because of Hancock and it wasn't because Deng had a variety of Olajuwon-like moves in the post. Its because they had 2 or 3 guys on the court- not just Hancock- who could shoot the three. When a defense has to cover that much more ground, it creates opportunities for the big fellas...not back to the basket "post moves", but dump offs from penetration or ball movement, alley oops, offensive rebounding opportunities. We had one guy who could shoot the three, Harrison, so the rest of the D would slough off in the paint and they'd lock down D Lo and dare the rest of the team to shoot. Obekpa could spend a year at big man camp...that's not going to help him if he's got three guys sitting on him in the zone and he cant get the ball in good position. (Although hopefully he's improved his hands o'stone).

Some think chicken, some think egg. I think your both right.

They are both right but I'm with the guy who wants more post scoring.

Re Louisville, Smith and Siva were threats to shoot and Smith even occasionally got hot but their 3 pt #s (32% and 28&) indicates that you'd be better off letting them shoot and getting the rebounds.  Only Hancock and Ware had acceptable numbers from 3 on that team, but their numbers were VERY respectable (both 40%).

gman

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 07:20:44 PM »

jordan is gravy.

Doesn't doing a little bit of everything make you a stat sheet stuffer?

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »
Dom is most definitely a stat sheet stuffer.  5+ in 4 categories yesterday.  Not as much today but still tied or led the team in pts, def rbs, steals, blocks.  Does it all.  If Lipscomb hadn't gotten in the game he'd have tied for the lead in assists as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:58:13 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 09:25:39 PM »

jordan is gravy.

i'd say a stat sheet stuffer is someone who puts up gaudy numbers at the most meaningless times.

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 09:42:42 PM »

jordan is gravy.

i'd say a stat sheet stuffer is someone who puts up gaudy numbers at the most meaningless times.

I think you may be confusing "Stat stuffing" with "padding stats."

gman

« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »

jordan is gravy.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of stat stuffer. Like the poster above me stared you are thinking about padding your stats.

« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »
i never heard of a stat sheet padder...but ok, majority rules.

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »
i never heard of a stat sheet padder...but ok, majority rules.
A variation of someone padding their stats. You might have heard of that version

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2013, 09:41:07 AM »
Harrison is a good shooter. The offense had no movement and held the ball until under 10 on the clock on 90% of our possesions which allowed the defense to gear up on our only scorer. That is why Harrison shot a bad %. Hooper will not get significant minutes and in our offense he will have trouble getting free. If Jordan can create some shots for others and himself, Sampson and Pointer progress on offense(I think they both will) and Primo Subs is half as good as those of you who have never seen him play claim he is, then Harrison will get some help. His % will go up and we will be watchable on offense. 

jr49

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »

jordan is gravy.

If Pointer takes natural step forward he will stuff the stat sheet, and make his teammates better. I have high regard for high motor players who are quick to the ball and the boards. He learns when to gamble in the passing lanes he might mess up some teams.

jr49

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:12 AM »

jordan is gravy.

Newsy, a guy who scores 8 and gets 4 boards when the game is a blow out is padding his stats. Pointe the4 type of player who can get you 12 pts, 8 boards, 4 ast, 3 blocks, 3 steals. He's getting something on all lines in the box score. His stats stuff the sheet.  He only wants to win. He's got to cut down on bad fouls. I think he's the guy we must have on the court. Like Harrison getting to the line late. Try pounding it in early.