Sporting News College Basketball Preview

• 49 replies
Re: Sporting News College Basketball Preview
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »
The fact that Harrison came back, ego and all, says that  your "stupidly" comment is way off. Lavin did what he thought was best and it took guts.  He has a set of values that Harrison tested one too many times, that is the way it is suppose to work, if  you want to have a culture of accountability.

Harrison and the rest of the team now know Lavin's "red line".

I stand by my stupid comment.  That should make those who think I'm a Lavin homer cringe. 

I don't doubt he deserved a suspension.  But he didn't deserve the remainder of the season.  It submarined the chance we had at dancing.  And we DID have a decent chance at that point.

If you could see the change in D'Angelo up close, you would realize that Lavin did the best thing for D'Angelo and the team. Lavin sacrificed some wins to put  D'Angelo's interest and the best interest of the team in the forefront. Sometimes it amazes me that people with little knowledge of what transpired, criticize Lavin for suspending D'Angelo.
D'Angelo himself stated that the suspension was warranted. Additionally, his behavior since he has returned shows that he is buying into the team concept.
I give Lavin a lot if credit for putting his personal agenda aside and doing what he felt was in D'Angelo's best interest.

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
But winning games is more important!

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
St. John's at 5 seems plenty reasonable.

I assume we are all smart enough to not take the bait. . .

what bait? I was simply expressing opinion. I hardly think 5th preseason is unreasonable place to start for St. Johns. It says nothing of where they might finish. St. John's has a lot of talent and I believe they're an NCAA team.

MCNPA

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2013, 11:46:54 AM »

what bait? I was simply expressing opinion. I hardly think 5th preseason is unreasonable place to start for St. Johns. It says nothing of where they might finish. St. John's has a lot of talent and I believe they're an NCAA team.

Why do I get the feeling that if the Hoyas were ranked at #5 preseason, you would think it was unreasonable.?

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
5 is about right. Not unfair at all to say that.

If you want to be fair.

Providence, Nova (2x), Georgetown, and Marquette all beat St. John's last year. While I know all of the rosters have shook up somewhat it could be argued that all 4 warrant to come in preseason ranked higher. Throw Creighton into the mix as well and you could say St. John's #6
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2013, 08:43:37 PM »

Why do I get the feeling that if the Hoyas were ranked at #5 preseason, you would think it was unreasonable.?

When the Hoyas Sh*t the bed for two straight seasons, 6th or 7th would be reasonable. They might be the worst high major tourney team in the nation, but for the BE, they are clearly dependable.

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
As a long time Johnnies fan from the 60's, I agree with keeping the Redmen rank in the preseason 6-7th. Lavin's suspension of D.H.  will be much appreciated by that same player as he tests the ranks of pro ball.  I look at the new league, it looks solid. As" marketing" embraces this league it will rise. Nova,G'Town,  the Johnnies, & The Friars  will take it to the next level. As it did years back.

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2013, 12:19:42 AM »

When the Hoyas Sh*t the bed for two straight seasons, 6th or 7th would be reasonable. They might be the worst high major tourney team in the nation, but for the BE, they are clearly dependable.

I'd hardly say they shit the bed last year. They got beat by the hottest team in the tournament. 1 bad game doesn't define a year. Georgetown is going to be very good. They won't be unbeatable but they should be top 3 in the conference heading into the season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2013, 12:44:51 AM »

I'd hardly say they shit the bed last year. They got beat by the hottest team in the tournament. 1 bad game doesn't define a year. Georgetown is going to be very good. They won't be unbeatable but they should be top 3 in the conference heading into the season.

Agree Dave.  They will be quite good.  Very talented at most spots on the floor.  It's good for our conference and our rivalry regardless, to have SJU and Georgetown good at the same time.  Both SJU and G-Town will be stacked at all spots.

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 09:48:24 AM »
7th is brutal. In the new conference, it's top 3 or bust

« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 12:34:16 PM »
7th seems a little low, but again the Johnnies have to prove that they deserve to be ranked higher.  Yes, they've added some nice pieces.  Jordan is the highest ranked recruit we've landed in a long time.  People say Sanchez will be an immediate contributor in the frontcourt.  And don't discount GG providing some very valuable minutes under the boards for us.

But at the end of the day, people also remember the team that went what ... 2-8 down the stretch?  Throw that in with the fact that the team could barely shoot 30% and it's understandable why people would hesitate to put them a lot higher in the new conference.  At the end of the day, publications like Athlon and the Sporting News mean nothing.  Go out and win the games that you are supposed to and we'll revisit the conversation.

gman

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
CBS has a rountabld article out breaking down the top 10 backcourts in the nation. They have sju on the outside but bring them up as talented enough to be a top 10 set of guards but want to see it happen on the court before being sold on it.

« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 04:43:11 PM »
Top 3 or bust?  I don't get it.  It isn't like the league turns into the MAAC or America East after the first 3 teams.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 04:52:19 PM »

7th seems a little low, but again the Johnnies have to prove that they deserve to be ranked higher.  Yes, they've added some nice pieces.  Jordan is the highest ranked recruit we've landed in a long time.  People say Sanchez will be an immediate contributor in the frontcourt.  And don't discount GG providing some very valuable minutes under the boards for us.

But at the end of the day, people also remember the team that went what ... 2-8 down the stretch?  Throw that in with the fact that the team could barely shoot 30% and it's understandable why people would hesitate to put them a lot higher in the new conference.  At the end of the day, publications like Athlon and the Sporting News mean nothing.  Go out and win the games that you are supposed to and we'll revisit the conversation.

I agree w the questionable expectations outside of the program's fan base. When you collapse to the extent of going from a bubble team in late January to barely making the NIT, analysts have good reason to be wary of giving this bunch the benefit of the doubt.

As far as GG goes, I've heard nothing about him from coach, or media in over a year. I feel like he's the forgotten guy. He was mistakenly, and carelessly redshirted last year, so we should expect that a year of practice would help bring him up to the speed of high major D1 ball.

Sanchez is another mystery in the eyes of analysts. He's kind of like Sidd Finch. Played pro ball in Spain. Good enough to start on an NBA team. Can play 5 positions. Of course, I would love for it all to be true, but come on.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:55:03 PM by Poison »

redslope

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
Sporting News has an opinionated guess and that is what it is.  If it was fact then why play the games.  If we had major suspensions/injuries, we could end up 10th.  Same could happen to those that SN "guesses" will be in the top 6.  Let's see what happens when the games are played.

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »
Top 3 or bust?  I don't get it.  It isn't like the league turns into the MAAC or America East after the first 3 teams.

Close to it.

With the talent assembled, finishing lower than 3rd shouldn't be an option

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2013, 11:56:24 AM »
I agree with you about having a talented team. But lets be fair - DePaul or Seton Hall have guys who would be the best players in the MAAC. The bottom of the new league would e at the top of a conference like that.

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2013, 12:12:29 PM »
I agree with you about having a talented team. But lets be fair - DePaul or Seton Hall have guys who would be the best players in the MAAC. The bottom of the new league would e at the top of a conference like that.

I think Manhattan and Iona could hang in the Big East. Teams like Seton Hall and DePaul are pretty terrible

Poison

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2013, 12:31:54 PM »

Close to it.

With the talent assembled, finishing lower than 3rd shouldn't be an option

I completely agree. We called Norm out when his plan completely bombed. Lavin's plan must produce an NCAA tournament bid. Finishing outside of the top 3 means we might not make it. They should be a lock for the dance, and expectations somg with pressure should be felt all around. By the staff and by the players.

In regards to Iona and Manhattan being competitive in the BE, I think that's possible, and more likely than last year. It will of course come down to how their recruits/transfers pan out. Both programs have high upside guys. We'll see how many of them realize it.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:34:20 PM by Poison »

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 12:49:37 PM »

I think Manhattan and Iona could hang in the Big East. Teams like Seton Hall and DePaul are pretty terrible

If manhattan and Iona replaced seton hall and depaul, where would you project them to finish in conference?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:50:06 PM by Gray Chudney »