OK now that the IW drama is over

• 94 replies
OK now that the IW drama is over
« on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:02 AM »
Lets get ready for the rebirth of SJU basketball. Its all been building up to this. Lav's first year was not his recruited players. This will be his trademark team. Big winning years and NBA drafted players make getting players without taking their baggage (TM) alot easier. I've been at games since george johnson and bernard rencher and I cant wait for this year. I dont sweat Lavs recruiting. Its fun to talk about and speculate but we are loaded and I have full trust in this staff. Lets stay healthy and enjoy the ride of 2013-2014.

ps Cant wait for Choz to come back and talk some BBall

Re: OK now that the IW drama is over
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:14:43 AM »
I agree with that sentiment. We are going have a great year. Expect to be a Sweet 16 team. I am happy Lavs did not want that used car salesman.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:17:12 AM »
I would have voted for Whitehead / Morton package personally. Not criticizing, just my preferance.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:24:00 AM »
i just think that after this year we wont have to even deal with stuff like that. You dont see duke, kentucky , syracuse or louisville having to take assistants to get players. Its all a function of winning and getting kids drafted.  Lavs will probably have 4 drafted kids on this team ( D'lo, Obekpa, Jakarr , and Jordan) . You start sending kids to the big show and you have kids coming to you wanting to go there.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:18 AM »
Kentucky got caught paying players under Sutton and need I remind you of who their current coach is?

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:59 AM »
IW is great player and it would have been awesome to have him and RJ in back court together for a year. I just do not think he was worth the headache. At good programs across the country not one player is bigger than the program. This year is critical for Lavin. He has shown he can recruit top talent. It is time to win.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:02 AM »
Kentucky got caught paying players under Sutton and need I remind you of who their current coach is?
we could have had cal, and we would have won big. But you know the trail that follows him. In hindsight its better off we stood clear

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »
I did not got to SJU so I have a different perspective. It is the same reason I do not hate Jarvis. I would sign up for a Championship even if it meant probation down the line. I would make that trade!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »

They got lucky SMU received the death penalty 2 years earlier, because had they not gotten it UK would have received it 1989.

derk

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 11:21:39 AM »
I did not got to SJU so I have a different perspective. It is the same reason I do not hate Jarvis. I would sign up for a Championship even if it meant probation down the line. I would make that trade!

Glad you have no affiliation with the program.

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
Really looking forward to this year.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 11:46:50 AM »
Quote-Glad you have no affiliation with the program.-DERK

Was offered a scholarship(baseball) back in the day that I turned down much like Whitehead :)
Unlike Whitehead bringing my HS coach would not have made a difference
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:47:08 AM by we are sju »

desco80

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:07:45 PM »
i just think that after this year we wont have to even deal with stuff like that. You dont see duke, kentucky , syracuse or louisville having to take assistants to get players. Its all a function of winning and getting kids drafted.  Lavs will probably have 4 drafted kids on this team ( D'lo, Obekpa, Jakarr , and Jordan) . You start sending kids to the big show and you have kids coming to you wanting to go there.

As Fun pointed out in another thread Duke and coach K gave jobs to Duhon's mom and Carlos Boozer's dad.   
This has been going on forever.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:36 PM »
I would have voted for Whitehead / Morton package personally. Not criticizing, just my preferance.

What coach would you have let go in the process? No worth it in my opinion, he was ours, SH gave them what they wanted, good for them. Big time programs don't cave in to demands like that. The attitude is, and should be, the player needs the program more than the program needs the player. That's the type of program we should aspire to be.

ras

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 12:12:19 PM »
Back in the Boozers day at least the players stuck around 3/4 years. Now these elite prospects are 1 or 2 years.

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 12:14:52 PM »
Since it did not happen, I am not going to name a coach to be fired. My only point is if hte kid is going to be special, I would have figured out a way to deal with Morton. I totally understand Lavin not doing this. Just saying If I was coaching I would have done it and as a fan I would have been ok with the shady to bring in the player.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 12:15:45 PM »
i would not have had problem if we hooked a family member up with job ex Carlos Boozer. To put Tiny on the staff not worth it. I rather we do our talking on the court and kick their ass the when ever we play them.  It would be nice with talent we have to start showing teams up for a change.

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
Have not bee this excited for a season in a long time. I cannot wait to see this team play.

SJUFAN

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 12:33:18 PM »
Since it did not happen, I am not going to name a coach to be fired. My only point is if hte kid is going to be special, I would have figured out a way to deal with Morton. I totally understand Lavin not doing this. Just saying If I was coaching I would have done it and as a fan I would have been ok with the shady to bring in the player.

Ok I see what your saying but if TM was better than what we have on the staff he would have been in college a long time ago. Maybe he is, time will time. We are trying to build a program, we need sustained success, and we need good coaches to achieve that. We have good players, and Lavin is confident that he could continue to bring in good players. Willard is trying to keep his job, this is a move he had to make. Big time programs don't have to, there will be others. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:34:08 PM by SJUFAN »

Poison

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 12:40:38 PM »

Seton Hall is bringing in a player who has been given special treatment. We'll be a great team and program when the name on the front is all that matters. Boeheim didn't bite. Neither did Lavin. F Lincoln, Tony and this pompous kid who has already announced to everyone that you need to seriously kiss his behind if you want him to play for your team.

We'll see what happens, but i expect this to blow up at Seton Hall much like the way it did with Lopez here. It's a team game. You can't be rolling out the red carpet for a freshman. It destroys the integrity of the program.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:41:42 PM by Poison »