OK now that the IW drama is over

• 94 replies

boo3

Re: OK now that the IW drama is over
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
 I this was 3-4 years ago I agree with Wasju... Now, we have a nice core group, with a lot of talent at IW's position.  Is he that much better than Jordan that we should alienate him( Jordan) and the rest of the team?  I don't know, but I doubt it.

Not saying that we don't need him, but we don't need him like SHU does.

FTR- I don';t need the team I root for to be squeaky clean either.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:00:58 PM by boo3 »

Tha Kid

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
i just think that after this year we wont have to even deal with stuff like that. You dont see duke, kentucky , syracuse or louisville having to take assistants to get players. Its all a function of winning and getting kids drafted.  Lavs will probably have 4 drafted kids on this team ( D'lo, Obekpa, Jakarr , and Jordan) . You start sending kids to the big show and you have kids coming to you wanting to go there.

As Fun pointed out in another thread Duke and coach K gave jobs to Duhon's mom and Carlos Boozer's dad.   
This has been going on forever.   

First of all, Coach K gave no jobs to anyone.  Second of all, Duke alums giving Duhon's mom and/or Boozer's dad jobs does not affect the management, chemistry, etc. of the basketball team.  What SHU did does.  Different.  And also one might be potentially illegal if anyone could prove some sort of a deal if they werent really working, etc. - I dont know the specifics on the rules, but since it is so widely known, Im pretty sure there wasnt much risk for Duke alums doing this.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:08:16 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 01:43:12 PM »
i just think that after this year we wont have to even deal with stuff like that. You dont see duke, kentucky , syracuse or louisville having to take assistants to get players. Its all a function of winning and getting kids drafted.  Lavs will probably have 4 drafted kids on this team ( D'lo, Obekpa, Jakarr , and Jordan) . You start sending kids to the big show and you have kids coming to you wanting to go there.

As Fun pointed out in another thread Duke and coach K gave jobs to Duhon's mom and Carlos Boozer's dad.   

First of all, Coach K gave no jobs to anyone.  Second of all, Duke alums giving Duhon's mom and/or Boozer's dad jobs does not affect the management, chemistry, etc. of the basketball team.  What SHU did does.  Different.  And also one might be potentially illegal if anyone could prove some sort of a deal if they werent really working, etc. - I dont know the specifics on the rules, but since it is so widely known, Im pretty sure there wasnt much risk for Duke alums doing this.
Love that Duke integrity.

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »
I this was 3-4 years ago I agree with Wasju... Now, we have a nice core group, with a lot of talent at IW's position.  Is he that much better than Jordan that we should alienate him( Jordan) and the rest of the team?  I don't know, but I doubt it.

Not saying that we don't need him, but we don't need him like SHU does.

FTR- I don';t need the team I root for to be squeaky clean either.

I've said it sense before we got Jordan and I said it again a few days ago. I'd rather have him then Isaiah. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 02:34:16 PM »
For argument sake lets just say SHU is recruiting Johnny Jumpshot the best NYC HS kid in 2015. They can always hire Johny's HS coach and can Morton. Problem solved ;D

NYCoffey

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »
For argument sake lets just say SHU is recruiting Johnny Jumpshot the best NYC HS kid in 2015. They can always hire Johny's HS coach and can Morton. Problem solved ;D

Who is this johnny jumpshot and why hasn't Lavin offered? Our recruiting is going down the toilet.

SJUFAN

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2013, 03:57:14 PM »

Good luck trying to assemble a top notch staff if that's how you treat your coaches.

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2013, 04:04:24 PM »
Overated! Back in the day coaches didn't even have assistants

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
 Interesting article

http://www.roundballchat.com/2011/09/kansas-didn’t-want-kris-humphries-because-of-his-attitude/

(edit:  originally thought this was Self but it was Roy Williams)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:25:12 PM by simplyred »

Tha Kid

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »

Love that Duke integrity.

And you think we've always been choir boys?  You're funny.

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 05:33:57 PM »
I have less of a problem with a booster giving a parent a job (although impermissible) than I do with firing a coach to hire the HS or AAU coach.  If a spot was already open, as it was when Antigua was hired, that doesn't bother me much either.  To offer a position when none exists is slimy and desperate.

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »

Hey kid, probably not the best place to post this but where do you see Amille Jefferson fitting in this year? I like him a lot out of HS but he didn't get much burn last year. You guys lost a lot up front but you also add Parker and hood and that's most likely you starting 4/3. Curious to what you think. If he ever got tired of not getting enough playin time I would love to see him come closer home.   

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »
I would have voted for Whitehead / Morton package personally. Not criticizing, just my preferance.

What coach would you have let go in the process? No worth it in my opinion, he was ours, SH gave them what they wanted, good for them. Big time programs don't cave in to demands like that. The attitude is, and should be, the player needs the program more than the program needs the player. That's the type of program we should aspire to be.

There is a reason why big time programs, like Indiana and Louisville, seem to back off

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2013, 10:30:30 PM »

There is no gray area there...if true, its not legal (per NCAA)

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2013, 10:49:37 PM »
Since it did not happen, I am not going to name a coach to be fired. My only point is if hte kid is going to be special, I would have figured out a way to deal with Morton. I totally understand Lavin not doing this. Just saying If I was coaching I would have done it and as a fan I would have been ok with the shady to bring in the player.

I think if you are coaching SH you have to do it to have any chance at being elite.  I mean, this is a McDonald's All-American and probably Isaiah Briscoe to follow--not to mention all the high recruits he and Carrington can convince to follow them.  Willard probably thought the same things we do...it's shady, he's gonna get heat, but it's not illegal.

STJ was in a different place.  You don't do this for your FOURTH top 50 guard. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »

There is no gray area there...if true, its not legal (per NCAA)

There is a rule against an alumnus of a college hiring a parent of a player to do actual work totally outside of the scope of college basketball?  I'd like to see that rule.  Would be way too hard to police.  But if you're right you're right, just show me the rule.

Tha Kid

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 01:51:44 PM »

Hey kid, probably not the best place to post this but where do you see Amille Jefferson fitting in this year? I like him a lot out of HS but he didn't get much burn last year. You guys lost a lot up front but you also add Parker and hood and that's most likely you starting 4/3. Curious to what you think. If he ever got tired of not getting enough playin time I would love to see him come closer home.   

Hey Mase --- I think Amile will be the starting 5.  Averaging 13 mins a game last year despite Kelly/Plumlee having the 4/5 locked down and Hairston being an upperclassmen I thought was not bad for a non-McDAA Duke frosh - seriously doubt Amile was unhappy with time last year.  Supposedly put on 20 pounds as of May, hopefully more since.  I envision a Cook-Sulaimon-Hood-Parker-Jefferson starting lineup - which already has me excited as probably one of my favorite duke starting lineups in a long time.

Foad

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »
There is a rule against an alumnus of a college hiring a parent of a player to do actual work totally outside of the scope of college basketball?  I'd like to see that rule.  Would be way too hard to police.  But if you're right you're right, just show me the rule.

1.  Student-athletes or his or her relatives or friends may not receive a benefit not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation (NCAA Bylaw 16.02.3).

An extra benefit is any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution’s athletics interests to provide a student-athlete or the student-athlete’s relative or friend a benefit not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation. Receipt of a benefit by student-athletes or their relatives or friends is not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is demonstrated that the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., international students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability.”

===========

Q. At what point does an individual become a representative of the institution’s athletics interests (booster)?

A. An individual becomes a representative of the institution’s athletics interest when the individual is known (or who should have been known) by a member of the institution’s executive or athletics administration to:
1.       Have participated in or to be a member of an agency or organization promoting the institution’s intercollegiate athletics program.
2.       Have made financial contributions to the athletics department or to an athletics booster organization of that institution.
3.       Be assisting or to have been requested (by the athletics department staff) to assist in the recruitment of prospects.
4.       Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families.
5.       Have been involved otherwise in promoting the institution’s athletics program.

======

The next summer, Harper [Duhon's mother] rented out her house in Slidell and headed for a two-bedroom apartment in Durham, N.C. There she found a job at NCM Capital Management Group, a billion-dollar money management firm owned by Maceo Sloan, who displays in his office the basketball he received as a gift from Duke's 1991 national championship team.

How Harper learned of the NCM job is unclear, because the full-time position she got in its operations department was never posted, according to several former employees.

=======

Three months after moving to Durham, according to Boozer's wife, Renee, Carlos Boozer Sr. was jobless. He finally found one at GlaxoSmithKline, a pharmaceutical company then run by Robert Ingram, a close friend of Krzyzewski.

Boozer initially said he worked as a programmer and made $125,000 per year. But when told former co-workers said he was an administrative assistant, Boozer recanted, saying he earned about $40,000 annually doing administrative work. He said he lost the job because the company merged and his division was moved to Philadelphia. His departure came about six months after Carlos Boozer Jr. left Duke for the NBA.

=====

Res ipsa loquitur

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2013, 02:28:48 PM »

Hey Mase --- I think Amile will be the starting 5.  Averaging 13 mins a game last year despite Kelly/Plumlee having the 4/5 locked down and Hairston being an upperclassmen I thought was not bad for a non-McDAA Duke frosh - seriously doubt Amile was unhappy with time last year.  Supposedly put on 20 pounds as of May, hopefully more since.  I envision a Cook-Sulaimon-Hood-Parker-Jefferson starting lineup - which already has me excited as probably one of my favorite duke starting lineups in a long time.

Thanks kid. Certainly not your prototypical duke starting lineup but one that would be extremely fun to watch. Should be a lot of fun for Quin Cook this year.

Tha Kid

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2013, 04:32:37 PM »

Thanks kid. Certainly not your prototypical duke starting lineup but one that would be extremely fun to watch. Should be a lot of fun for Quin Cook this year.

That's why I like the lineup so much - though my freshman year of Jay Will, Duhon, Dunleavy, Boozer, Casey Sanders will probably always be my favorite for sentimental reasons even though they lost in the sweet 16.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 04:33:41 PM by Tha Kid »