OK now that the IW drama is over

• 94 replies
Re: OK now that the IW drama is over
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
I didn't think Branch was lazy with his passes.  It seemed to me that often he tried to make a flashy pas and his teammates ofter were not expecting it, resulting in turnovers.

Poison

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2013, 08:39:08 AM »
I think SirDom is an NBA Player.  His progress from year one to two was incredible.  If he could continue to improve...he could be a shut down NBA 2 guard.  Has igodola like skills.

Only thing Dom needs is to tighten the handle a tad and get more comfortable being an offensive option.  He can be killer.  I hope we see more I that area this year.  It's his time to take his incremental improvement up a notch as a junior now ala Postell or a Sam Young.

I agree with your assessment of Sir'Dom (my favorite player on the team).  Funny that we criticize Dlo for take too many shots to get his scoring numbers up but we don't credit Sir'Dom for his efficiency.  He is not a pure shooter but his offensive efficiency is terrific.

It's easy to be efficient when opposing teams give you ten feet to shoot the basketball, you are an athletic freak that can finish anything within 6-7 feet of the basket with a thundering dunk, and your team does not rely on you for points. 

I love Dom, but his lack of offensive skill and lack of control make me close my eyes several times a game.  Switch his role with Harrison and he'd be shooting 20%.

Haven't seen Jordan or Sanchez but Pointer is the best passer of all the returning players including Branch

What!?!?!

Dom has very good vision...I'll give him that...but he freezes up way to much in big spots and makes a ton of mental errors.  Branch and Harrison are far better passers.  Branch annoys me  at times because he can be very lazy with  his passes., but it's so clear that him and Harrison are on a different level in terms of skill than just about anyone else on the team.  For all of the confidence Dom has in the open court and defensively, he gets looks super nervous too many times. 

I expect both Jordan and Sanchez to be better passers as well. 

I think with Dom, we feel that way because we never knew what he was going to do with the ball. He didn't either. Still with Branch out for a good chunk of the season, Pointer filled in admirably, and you know what they say, the best thing about sophomores is they become juniors.

DFF6

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2013, 08:48:50 AM »
I didn't think Branch was lazy with his passes.  It seemed to me that often he tried to make a flashy pas and his teammates ofter were not expecting it, resulting in turnovers.

+1.  I think with Branch playing more with this team and the guys getting a better feel for his tendencies, more of his "flashy" passes that ended up as turnovers last year will result in some really nice assists this year.

Poison

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »

+1.  I think with Branch playing more with this team and the guys getting a better feel for his tendencies, more of his "flashy" passes that ended up as turnovers last year will result in some really nice assists this year.

Branch was nervous last year. I watched from a great seat, and my group saw it on him. He  really was nervous. Basically, he was a freshman.

I think what we're hearing is that he's calmed down, and that now he's playing his game. Quite honestly, with the addition of Jordan, Branch was the last guy I expected coach to hype up, but it's great news for us. Another weapon.

You know who wasn't nervous? Dom Pointer.

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2013, 10:35:16 AM »
Again I like Branch, but so far he looks like a combo guard as he scores better than we were led to believe but his passing seems ordinary. Unless 2.7 asst per game gets you all hot and bothered?

desco80

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2013, 11:51:44 AM »
He was coming on strong.
Again I like Branch, but so far he looks like a combo guard as he scores better than we were led to believe but his passing seems ordinary. Unless 2.7 asst per game gets you all hot and bothered?

He was injured, and started coming on strong towards the end.   The game at home against Marquette was the best point guard play I've seen from us in a while.   
There's no question his scoring and shooting specifically dropped off dramatically.  But I think that's because of injury.   I don't expect him to be a lights out shooter, but I think he'll be better in that area.   His passing is already an asset. 

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2013, 11:55:30 AM »
The ellipse was/is? the best passer on the team.  He led the team in assists as a frosh and came in second as a soph.  All while comprising infinitesimally low turnover numbers.

desco80

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:55 PM »
The ellipse was/is? the best passer on the team.  He led the team in assists as a frosh and came in second as a soph.  All while comprising infinitesimally low turnover numbers.

Branch and Dom are unquestionably better passers than the circle. 

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2013, 12:11:07 PM »
Honestly in the shitty offense we run it is hard to tell. But again IMO I think Pointer is the best passer.

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2013, 12:12:42 PM »
Again it is not like I am comparing Pointer to Jackson, Mullin or Harvey. Compared to Branch, Greene and the rest I give the nod to Pointer

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
He was coming on strong.

He was injured, and started coming on strong towards the end.   The game at home against Marquette was the best point guard play I've seen from us in a while.   
There's no question his scoring and shooting specifically dropped off dramatically.  But I think that's because of injury.   I don't expect him to be a lights out shooter, but I think he'll be better in that area.   His passing is already an asset. 

Agree on that Marquette game. He had a phenomenal game passing the ball. He had more good passes than Phil had all year in that one game alone.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Remember in A Few Good Men during Jack's "You need me on that wall" speech he insults Tom Cruise by asking if Cruise would be able to defend the nation. Jack than throws Kevin Pollack into the insult as well even though Pollack was just sitting there minding his own buisness.

Well bringing up Greene to indicate that Branch is a good passer is the same thing that Jack did to Pollack. Greene can't pass but he was just sitting there minding his own buisness. Saying Branch is a better passer than Greene does not make Branch a good passer.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 12:35:30 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Remember in A Few Good Men during Jack's "You need me on that wall" speech he insults Tom Cruise by asking if Cruise would be able to defend the nation. Jack than throws Kevin Pollack into the insult as well even though Pollack was just sitting there minding his own buisness.

Well bringing up Greene to indicate that Branch is a good passer is the same thing that Jack did to Pollack. Greene can't pass but he was just sitting there minding his own buisness. Saying Branch is a better passer than Greene does not make Branch a good passer.

Idk If you were referring to me. I only brought up Greene because carmine said he's the best passer on the team, which is just crazy to think if you watched all of our games. Branch is the best passer we have returning on this team.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

bk8664

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2013, 10:34:01 PM »

I always felt bad for Lt. Weinberg when Col. Jessep went after him...

Poison

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013, 10:44:23 PM »

Eugene Lawrence was a better passing point guard than Greene. I don't know how anyone can say that he was the best passer on the team. He ran the clock down so much so that the next player who had the ball (often Sampson) only had  3/4 seconds to score.

And because Sampson is talented, Greene actually got credit for doing his job.

Stats lie. Especially in this case.

boo3

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
Branch and Dom are the best passers.  Sanchez is supposed to be good for a big man.  Jordan is better than all of them I think. 

MCNPA

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »
Branch and Dom are the best passers.  Sanchez is supposed to be good for a big man.  Jordan is better than all of them I think. 

Sanchez is an excellent passer for a big guy from what I've seen.  It will help a ton having a guy like that in the frontcourt.

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2013, 11:28:01 PM »
There were so many times when I would be screaming at the TV to get Phil to pass the ball but he would just dribble. There are many areas where I think Phil is under appreciated on this board, but passing is not one of them. He is a below average passer. I don't care what his AST to TO ratio is.

Poison

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2013, 11:30:36 PM »
There were so many times when I would be screaming at the TV to get Phil to pass the ball but he would just dribble. There are many areas where I think Phil is under appreciated on this board, but passing is not one of them. He is a below average passer. I don't care what his AST to TO ratio is.

What are those many areas? He's a decent free throw shooter. He has slightly above average speed and quickness. He has a nice tear dropper move that he barely goes to.  That said, unless there are injuries, or other surprises, he shouldn't be playing more than 12-15 minutes a game.

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
Jamal is a flashier passer.  The octagons passes are more vanilla but always on target.