BE HONEST

• 80 replies
BE HONEST
« on: September 20, 2013, 03:20:55 PM »
BE HONEST!

Re: BE HONEST
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 03:26:19 PM »
In our situation I wouldn't have been too happy with it. Norm years I would have applauded it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »
I would be very worried about what it would do to the team chemistry if we were going to cater to Whitehead like SH did. Future recruits would want the same thing as well. Plus, I don't want Tiny on our staff. I want kids who want to come to St. John's to be part of a winning team. Not to be a one man show on a bottom feeder. Bottom line, St. John's is above pulling moves like SH just did. We don't need to. I completely understand why Willard did in his position though.

DFF6

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Not thrilled but would not complain about it. 

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »
Not thrilled but would not complain about it. 
Could have just voted if that is the extent of your commentary. (SMILEY FACE)!

LJSA

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »
In our situation I wouldn't have been too happy with it. Norm years I would have applauded it.

Norm could have done it three times in the same recruiting cycle and I wouldn't have minded. It's not like he ever listened to his legitimate assistant coaches anyway, so might as well empty the bench and bring in three top players.

NYCoffey

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
If I'm Willard or an Seton Hall fan I'm for it because its necessary. If its Lavin I would be against it.  The 2 schools are in completely different situations with their rosters and level  of recruiting by the coaches. I would've very worried if Lavin felt like he had to make this deal because recruiting is what Lavin does best.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 04:27:07 PM »
Even putting aside the misguided notion that SJU is on some much higher plane of college basketball than SHU, that whole argument that it is ok for SHU but not us doesn't match history. Programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke(according to Fun, don't want my buddy Tha Kid to be mad at me as he used to be my occasional drinking buddy :)) have all pulled similar stunts. Maybe this is the sort of thing you have to do for the right player in order to become elite :-\
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:44:00 PM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
If it meant firing someone who was doing a good job, if be disappointed in our ethics.
Next season Seton Hall brings in one top 50 player. There will be one top player in the entire program. In all seriousness, probably the first since Andre Barrett. This was the act of a desperate program. How many BE east games did they win last year? 3?

Foad

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
according to Fun

"According to the Times-Picayune's Josh Peter, in the summer of 2000 Vivian Harper, mother of Duke incoming freshman point guard Chris Duhon, moved from her home in Slidell, La., to a two-bedroom apartment in Durham, N.C. She was given a job at a firm called NCM Capital Management Company, a billion-dollar money management firm owned by a man named Maceo Sloan, among whose possessions is an autographed basketball signed by the 1991 Duke championship team, Coach K's first title squad. Workers at the firm say the job was never posted. They also allege that Walker was given a substantial raise within four months.

There's more. Peters also reports that Carlos Boozer Sr., the then-unemployed father of former Duke star Carlos Boozer, was given a job at GlaxoSmithKline, a pharmaceutical company owned by Robert Ingram, who is a close friend of Coach K's. In order to take the job, the elder Boozer relocated from Alaska."

The Boston Globe
April 6, 2003, Sunday ,
FIRST EDITION

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Not thrilled, but wouldn't have complained.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Even putting aside the misguided notion that SJU is on some much higher plane of college basketball than SHU, thae whole argument that it is ok for SHU but not us doesn't match history. Programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke(according to Fun, don't want my buddy Tha Kid to be mad at me as he used to be my occasional drinking buddy :)) have all pulled similar stunts. Maybe this is the sort of thing you have to do for the right player in order to become elite :-\

It is a correct notion in terms of recruiting. Every year is different. You can look at the last two years here as a plan for this year. What was Seton Hall's plan? Kyle Anderson or bust? Isaiah Whitehead or bust? It's not enough.  Edwin will be guarded by Dom this year. Whitehead will be guarded by Dom next year. We have weapons at 5 positions. I count 1 for them this year. (Barely)
And who knows, if Whitehead isn't great right away, I see trouble. It's a team game, and if the team isn't winning and one guy is taking 20+ shots, people get jealous. They certainly did in 1994-1995 Jamaica, Queens. That much, I'm certain of. Fraschilla removed the names from the back of the jerseys for good reason.

The Johnnies are a well rounded team. Finally. I think they are poised to be one for years. Obekpa and Sampson will be great 4 year guys, and after they graduate, and make the league, recruits everywhere will have concrete proof that our staff gets it.

Don't forget, last year's team won 8 conference games w out Sanchez, Hooper and Jordan. Lavin can move players to the end of the bench should he want to. We could have as many as 3 new starters. Who does Seton Hall have? Norm Roberts esque talent. That's it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:46:11 PM by Poison »

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 04:47:41 PM »
Even putting aside the misguided notion that SJU is on some much higher plane of college basketball than SHU, that whole argument that it is ok for SHU but not us doesn't match history. Programs like Kansas, Kentucky, Duke(according to Fun, don't want my buddy Tha Kid to be mad at me as he used to be my occasional drinking buddy :)) have all pulled similar stunts. Maybe this is the sort of thing you have to do for the right player in order to become elite :-\

It's not misguided. SH was desperate, we were not. As simple as that. That is being on a different plane recruiting wise.

Also, comparing Willard to Calipari and Coach K is not a great comparison. Talk about being on a different plane.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:48:48 PM by redstorm212 »

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 04:48:01 PM »
Again way better programs than SJU have done similar things. Kentucky, Kansas, Duke(sorry Kid and Duhon stunk), hell Nick Nolte bought Matt Nover's dad a tractor and got Penny Hardaway's mom a job or as we will now call it a Duhon.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:49:01 PM by we are sju »

uwsfan

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »
Even putting aside the misguided notion that SJU is on some much higher plane of college basketball than SHU, that whole argument that it is ok for SHU but not us doesn't match history.

St. Johns: 7th All-Time winningest program in college bb history (was as high as 5th before the decade long lul).
When people talk about SJu, they remember prolonged  periods of being very good (albiet long ago).

Seton Hall: No tradiition. have always sucked, save a few random years here and there (which every program at least has).
SH is an A-10 school that is only even in the BE because they got here before Rutgers.

And i personally think it is only ok when the HS coach being hired  truely has talent and is seen as a guy who will effectively contribute for years, and/or if the guy being recruited is a once in a generation Lebron/Durant (Whitehead not even close)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 05:01:30 PM by uwsfan »

Poison

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 05:02:46 PM »
Even putting aside the misguided notion that SJU is on some much higher plane of college basketball than SHU, that whole argument that it is ok for SHU but not us doesn't match history.

St. Johns: 7th All-Time winningest program in college bb history (was as high as 5th before the decade long lul).
When people talk about SJu, they remember prolonged  periods of being very good (albiet long ago).

Seton Hall: No tradiition. have always sucked, save a few random years here and there (which every program at least has).
SH is an A-10 school that is only even in the BE because they got here before Rutgers.

And i personally think it is only ok when the HS coach being hired  truely has talent and is seen as a guy who will effectively contribute for years, and/or if the guy being recruited is a once in a generation Lebron/Durant (Whitehead not even close)

Don't get me wrong, I think Seton Hall is a cess pool, but they had a hey day just like we did. In the BE, in the 80s, they were legit.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »

I agree to an extent.  In the Norm years I would have held my nose and not complained about the stink.  But you have to keep in mind that in the Norm years, we were as desperate as SHU is now.  Also, our coaching staff was not so great.  Tiny might have actually helped.

LoganK

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »

That.  On both accounts.  SJU has more history than SHU with a better current roster.  Better then, better now.  I'm not sure which part of that would lead you to believe that we are not on a higher plane; let alone refer to those of us who acknowledge that fact as having "misguided notions."

As to the latter, if that were an option I would have selected it.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 05:28:04 PM »

I agree to an extent.  In the Norm years I would have held my nose and not complained about the stink.  But you have to keep in mind that in the Norm years, we were as desperate as SHU is now.  Also, our coaching staff was not so great.  Tiny might have actually helped.

It sounds like you agree to the full extent.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »

It sounds like you agree to the full extent.

I wouldn't say I would have applauded it.