Daily News article re. Sampson

• 17 replies
Daily News article re. Sampson
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:11:41 PM »
Don't know if this was posted or not but the newspaper had an article that Jakar Sampson is on some NBA draft lists or something like that and they were predicting that this would be his last year at St. Johns.  If this comes to pass then Lavin will have to replace Sampson, Sanchez and Gift.  That would leave our front line rather thin.  Does coach Lavin have any plan in the works re. Recruits etc. to replace this group? Are we leading for anyone?  I have been out of the loop for a while having just gotten married last week.

paultzman

Re: Daily News article re. Sampson
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 07:41:36 PM »
Don't know if this was posted or not but the newspaper had an article that Jakar Sampson is on some NBA draft lists or something like that and they were predicting that this would be his last year at St. Johns.  If this comes to pass then Lavin will have to replace Sampson, Sanchez and Gift.  That would leave our front line rather thin.  Does coach Lavin have any plan in the works re. Recruits etc. to replace this group? Are we leading for anyone?  I have been out of the loop for a while having just gotten married last week.

Thought Cooley was married.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »

His last year will be 3 years from now. 

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 10:22:29 PM »
Congratulations on your marriage! Hope you had a pre-nup!  ;) :)

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:05:12 PM »
Are we leading for anyone?  I have been out of the loop for a while having just gotten married last week.

WE?  I am sure Coach Lavin sleeps better at night knowing that you casually associate yourself with the SJU Men's Basketball program.

I know I would.

boo3

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »
I could see Sampson leaving if he has a great year. Can also see him staying.

Whatever happens, I'm not concerned about finding players... at all.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
Will next year end up being a semi rebuilding year, with all these departures? Even if we get top recruits they will be new. Having a team that graduates all seniors is admirable but it does play havoc with a school'a team.
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 01:09:15 PM »
Will next year end up being a semi rebuilding year, with all these departures? Even if we get top recruits they will be new. Having a team that graduates all seniors is admirable but it does play havoc with a school'a team.

It's not going to be a rebuilding year. A fan of another team comes on the board and starts in with his crap. If the draft was today, do you know where Jakarr goes? He doesn't. If he was an NBA player, he'd have been able to destroy a European 25 year old who wasn't good enough to play in the league.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »
Agree with Poison, with the caveat that kids often leave well before they are ready, and you don't know if one's personal situation plays into that decision.  It was stated on this board by Dave and others that Obekpa almost left last year.  I think that would have been a monumental mistake by the kid, but don't know how the NBA decision-makers evaluate him (the league does draft on potential sometimes) and what his family's financial situation is.  I can see one thinking that a career overseas where you can make some nice money and avoid injuring yourself in college before a payday has some appeal.  Again, based on what I saw last year, I don't think either him or Sampson should go anywhere after next season.  If he does leave, it is probably because he has a very good year, which will means so will our team.

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »

It's not going to be a rebuilding year. A fan of another team comes on the board and starts in with his crap. If the draft was today, do you know where Jakarr goes? He doesn't. If he was an NBA player, he'd have been able to destroy a European 25 year old who wasn't good enough to play in the league.
Just because jakarr didn't destroy a 25 year old Euro pro does not mean that the league doesn't project him to destroy the same guy two years from now.  The "potential" factor is diminished as the prospect gets older so it might be advantageous to leave while current production + potential upside is at its peak. Sometimes more seasoning at the college level comes at the expense of nba upside even if production increases.  You know this

Poison

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:37:08 PM »

Just because jakarr didn't destroy a 25 year old Euro pro does not mean that the league doesn't project him to destroy the same guy two years from now.  The "potential" factor is diminished as the prospect gets older so it might be advantageous to leave while current production + potential upside is at its peak. Sometimes more seasoning at the college level comes at the expense of nba upside even if production increases.  You know this

Good point.

Let me ask you another question: What position will he play should an NBA team draft him?

I ask bec I don't think he's nearly big or strong enough to play the 4. And he doesn't have the ball handling skills to play the 3. Obviously, he can learn these skills. Many players do, but from what I see there are so many holes in his game that discussing the NBA now seems irresponsible.

Ron Artest came out after his soph year. He barely made the lottery.

Let me add that I understand a player leaving early to take care of his family, but if they are left with a pro contract in a foreign country, they might be throwing away everything they've worked for. There are more guys that we never hear from again than guys who stayed too long and hurt their chances due to injury.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:44:02 PM by Poison »

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:44:45 PM »
Face up 4.  Use Tim Thomas as his model. Slowly shift to the post over time.

SJUFAN

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »

JK cannot guard the 4 spot, nor is he anywhere near the shooter and ball handler Thomas was.  If he doesn't impress this year, he could be a 4 year player.

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »

JK cannot guard the 4 spot, nor is he anywhere near the shooter and ball handler Thomas was.  If he doesn't impress this year, he could be a 4 year player.
Wasn't saying he was the next Thomas. Just that he should eventually transition to the post as his body fills out, which will take years. What's the Knicks plan for CJ Leslie?  Maybe that's a more realistic comp

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »

Wasn't saying he was the next Thomas. Just that he should eventually transition to the post as his body fills out, which will take years. What's the Knicks plan for CJ Leslie?  Maybe that's a more realistic comp

This is a good comparison and I don't think the Knicks really have a plan for him.  He's a little taller than Jakarr so I'm guessing they took a flyer on a second rounder with potential who thy figure if they put enough weight on him he can be a josh smith like 4 man. He did stay trough his junior year of college though.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 08:28:42 PM »

I think Harkless was closer to Thomas than Sampson is. Sampson couldn't guard the 4 position in college.

Poison

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »

This is a good comparison and I don't think the Knicks really have a plan for him.  He's a little taller than Jakarr so I'm guessing they took a flyer on a second rounder with potential who thy figure if they put enough weight on him he can be a josh smith like 4 man. He did stay trough his junior year of college though.

The Knicks have a plan for CJ Leslie. Sit, and watch.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 10:03:56 PM »
Agree, Poison.  Absent being a first round pick, I don't think any kid should leave early barring unique circumstances.