BE Media Day

• 53 replies

paultzman

Re: BE Media Day
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Some coaches, while recognizing SJU depth & talent, may doubt Lav has coaching ability to achieve success. Prove them wrong Coach! IMO, Whitesell addition should be a plus also. Psyched for season to begin!

No I get it but I don't care if they think this team is coached by Humpty Dumpty no way this team should be anywhere near the bottom 3 teams.

Agree

paultzman

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 11:07:49 AM »
Motivation;

“@KieranDarcy: Spent time with St. John's, Seton Hall and Xavier thus far. Red Storm players think they're definitely better than fifth #bigeastmbb”

boo3

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
 Good.. Nothing wrong with a little extra motivation.. I wish we were picked even lower... 

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »
“@KieranDarcy: Quick St. John's injury update: D'Angelo Harrison practiced this morning for first time since suffering hamstring injury #bigeastmbb”

paultzman

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
Good.. Nothing wrong with a little extra motivation.. I wish we were picked even lower... 

“@NYPost_Brazille: St. John's players were not happy to be picked fifth. D'Angelo Harrison plans to write the No. 5 in locker room later. #sjubb”

boo3

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 11:21:46 AM »
 Perfect.

Kids need to learn that this type of stuff needs to be earned.  No one is going to rank them high when they haven't  won anything in 2 years.

Now go out and kick ass on the court.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 11:23:47 AM by boo3 »

pmg911

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »
Perfect.

Kids need to learn that this type of stuff needs to be earned.  No one is going to rank them high when they haven't  won anything in 2 years.

+1

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 12:06:46 PM »
Perfect.

Understood but Kentucky is everyone's preseason no. 1 not only in the SEC but the country as a whole and there is not 1 player on their team that remains from the 2012 NC team and only a couple from the NIT team from last year.  In other words they have a team of players who have never won anything but hasn't stopped them from being ranked high.  What did they do to earn the ranking???  They are REALLY TALENTED...

If it is motivation great, but I think high expectations encourage motivation as well.  Trust me Cal and Kentucky are motivated.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
5 is more than reasonable. So much of our season depends on the maturity of Harrison. He is the best player we've had since Hard huy, and he can take places, but his head has to be in it.

Lavin, too. He sacrificed last season to teach Harrison a lesson. And while I don't agree with his decision, a deep run in March would at least show us that perhaps there was a method to the madness.

Reasonable because of immediate prior success but looking at the who is represented on the various all-conference teams gives credence to Rothsteins point repeated many times that SJU is loaded and has more talent then anyone in the conference.

Jeff Goodman tweeted months ago that the injury to Jones of Butler would probably put Butler in a position to challenge SHU and DePaul for last place.

I agree that we are loaded. At least on paper. We thought do last year too, and we utterly collapsed. So, when I say reasonable, what I mean is that for a team that ended really poorly, 5th is generous.

Butler might need a rebuilding year, we'll see. Seton Hall is supposed to be better, but really, who have they added? Sterling Gibbs? Jaren Sina? Fine players, but difference makers?

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
“@CerasolisGhost: Willard on St. John's: ". I think Steve [Lavin] is doing an unbelievable job with St. John's ... They’re on the cusp" #shbb #stjbb”

“@FarcoSJU: Willard: Reminds me of 1979... The birth of the Big East with Georgetown and Lou Carnesecca...the league is very similar and on same path.”

boo3

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »
Kentucky has done it before, with inexperienced players as well.

I'm not justifying their No1 preseason ranking, I have no idea.  They have a track record of getting inexperienced players to gel right away and play big time ball

STJ doesn't get that benefit of the doubt , and rightfully so.

paultzman

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
“@rumbleSBN: Lavin on St. John's frosh Rysheed Jordan: lauds competitive poise, good judgement, & defensive prowess. Best he's had at this stage. #sjubb”

“@FarcoSJU: Lavin states that he loves that the conference at 10. Hopes there is no more expansion. There will be a "true champion"”

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »
STEVE LAVIN, St. John’s:

On the new Big East’s NCAA Tournament potential: “It’s analgous to the Pac-10 from the strong years (in the 1990s and early 2000s). When you look at the quality of the coaching, 10 teams being the number, having a champion based on a home-and-home schedule, you have that balance. This is old school.”

“It sets up very nicely for the Big East on a regular basis to have seven or eight teams in the hunt for the NCAA Tournament. You can get five or six teams in consistently. There was a stretch (in the Pac-10) when a down year was four, a good year was six and a number of years there were five. Half the league was going to the NCAA Tournament, and not only did they get in, they were making runs. The Big East should be able to do the same thing with the quality of the coaching, the recruiting centers the schools are in, operating (our tournament) out of the Garden and the TV exposure.”

On the importance of the non-conference schedule, given the loss of RPI-building games against Syracuse, UConn and Louisville: “I think we’re going to learn as we go. When you look at the strength of schedule in the more recent RPI, you some times need Alan Greenspan to figure out the formula for success. I think this conference, the coaches and the league office have a strong sense of what it’s going to take, but we’re going to find out more as we go through these next couple of years, and that will help us moving forward in terms of how we schedule.”

“There needs to be a balance of enough high-level games out of conference, but we also have to be careful not to over-schedule because we’ll beat each other up in league play.”

- See more at: http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/hoopshaven/2013/10/16/big-east-media-day-version-1-0-4/#sthash.HDo5hDQh.dpuf

paultzman

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »
“@QSJUHoops: Kevin Willard loves MSG, but is okay with playing St. John's in Queens. #sjubb #shbb http://sbn.to/17KoZYF

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »
Kentucky has done it before, with inexperienced players as well.

I'm not justifying their No1 preseason ranking, I have no idea.  They have a track record of getting inexperienced players to gel right away and play big time ball

STJ doesn't get that benefit of the doubt , and rightfully so.

Kentucky is not preseason no. 1 because they won it 2 years ago.

They are preseason no. 1 because they bring in arguably the greatest class ever including 3 players that will probably be top 8 picks.

That is why.  Talent, unproven or not.

boo3

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 12:55:27 PM »
 I'm just telling you why I don't think it's crazy for people to rank us lower than we may think or like. 

You brought up Kentucky .. We aren't Kentucky.. Not even close. 

Preseason ranking don't mean jack anyway, so there is no point in even getting worked up about them..

I couldn't care less if we are preseason #1 or #10...

:Lets throw the ball up already

paultzman

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:46 PM »
“@StJohnsBBall: @bigeastconf Commissioner Val Ackerman with #SJUBB #BIGEAST preseason first team selection D'Angelo Harrison. http://twitter.com/StJohnsBBall/status/390523856081137664/photo/1

gman

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:04 PM »
“@QSJUHoops: Kevin Willard loves MSG, but is okay with playing St. John's in Queens. #sjubb #shbb http://sbn.to/17KoZYF

I hope whitehead feels the same way

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
I'm just telling you why I don't think it's crazy for people to rank us lower than we may think or like. 

You brought up Kentucky .. We aren't Kentucky.. Not even close. 

Preseason ranking don't mean jack anyway, so there is no point in even getting worked up about them..

I couldn't care less if we are preseason #1 or #10...

:Lets throw the ball up already

It is a misrepresentation of what I said.

I understand SJU is not Kentucky but I brought up UK to prove the fallacy of using immediate prior success as a major factor in predicting things.

SJU is not Temple either at least recently but just about everyone expects Temple to take a bit step back just based on huge senior losses.  In other words assuming they were in the same conference you think Temple is SJU's equal this year?

boo3

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
 I know nothing about Temple this season or last.  Again, my only point is that, imo, us being ranked #5 is fine, for two reasons..

1.  We haven't been successful in the past.

2. Rankings , particularly pre-season, are meaningless.

You don't think #1 is a consideration at all.  That's ok by me.  We can move on.