Midnight Madness

• 137 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Midnight Madness
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2013, 12:36:37 AM »
Agree with the need but lets not kid ourselves.  Coach has struck out on every 3 , 4 or 5 position player he has gone after in the last and present recruiting classes.

Can't say Coach struck out when he had only one ship to offer in the last class and he chose to use it on Jordan, that was our biggest need, nota 3, 4, or 5. This present class hasn't been determined yet, so not really sure how you are arriving to your conclusion. I don't see anyone of our players leaving before there junior year.

MCNPA

« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2013, 01:20:55 AM »
Call me crazy, but I think we are going to have a huge 15' class.  I think we've got a very good chance to land Briscoe and Diallo and more.

MCNPA

« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »
Agree with the need but lets not kid ourselves.  Coach has struck out on every 3 , 4 or 5 position player he has gone after in the last and present recruiting classes.

Can't say Coach struck out when he had only one ship to offer in the last class and he chose to use it on Jordan, that was our biggest need, nota 3, 4, or 5. This present class hasn't been determined yet, so not really sure how you are arriving to your conclusion. I don't see anyone of our players leaving before there junior year.

Using the term "struck out" is just silly.  Coaches strike out more than they land, that site recruiting game for just about every coach.  Jim Calhoun "struck out" on tons of guys including More Harkless, Ryan Gomes and dozens of others.  Lavin has consistently been a fantastic recruiter through his ucla days as well as SJU days.  How anybody can criticize the recruiting is beyond me.  Lavin has always come through with excellent and ranked recruiting classes. 

I'm not sure the "rabbit" that Paultzman speaks of, but I have no doubt there's something cooking that we haven't heard about yet.

paultzman

« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:11 AM »
Call me crazy, but I think we are going to have a huge 15' class.  I think we've got a very good chance to land Briscoe and Diallo and more.

I agree

« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2013, 08:51:37 AM »
The need and focus is '15 (staff will state outright).  Will likely only lose jakar (draft) early.  Graduating - Gift, Marco and Orlando. Rysheed and Chris probably 2 years (this year and next).  Accordingly, will need to re-load for '15 class.  Not going to get top kids to committ to SJU with a full house - they want the chance of minutes.

« Reply #125 on: October 31, 2013, 02:52:26 PM »
Based on your analysis, sjulaw, we lose 3 front court players in 2014.  They need to be replaced.  Even if we land Delarosa, we need a 4, maybe even 2 of them.

« Reply #126 on: October 31, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
The need and focus is '15 (staff will state outright).  Will likely only lose jakar (draft) early.  Graduating - Gift, Marco and Orlando. Rysheed and Chris probably 2 years (this year and next).  Accordingly, will need to re-load for '15 class.  Not going to get top kids to committ to SJU with a full house - they want the chance of minutes.
That's not the way to build a perennially strong program waiting to replace guys until the year they are gone. And great players want to play with other great players, what do we have to have an empty roster before strong recruits will come? This is not a criticism of coach just your recruiting strategy.

bk8664

« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2013, 08:35:11 PM »
That's not the way to build a perennially strong program waiting to replace guys until the year they are gone. And great players want to play with other great players, what do we have to have an empty roster before strong recruits will come? This is not a criticism of coach just your recruiting strategy.

The program just doesn't have that kind of pull right now...It's most likely a function of the state of our program.. hopefully we fast forward three years from now and because of our teams continued success and good runs showings during the season that recruiting is more stable...     

for my money Lav has been awesome at recruiting, given where we were coming from... A+ from me.

« Reply #128 on: October 31, 2013, 10:15:08 PM »

Well if you look back to last year, you will note that coach did go after several front court players and didn't land any of them. By saying that he chose to take a point guard in Rysheed is only partially true.  Had he landed any one of the highly sought after recruits he went after, he would have made room for them and that's a fact.  If you believe otherwise you are only kidding yourself.

At this point, the best case scenario would be if oach landed the likes of Dialo and

« Reply #129 on: October 31, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »

Well if you look back to last year, you will note that coach did go after several front court players and didn't land any of them. By saying that he chose to take a point guard in Rysheed is only partially true.  Had he landed any one of the highly sought after recruits he went after, he would have made room for them and that's a fact.  If you believe otherwise you are only kidding yourself.

At this point, the best case scenario would be if oach landed the likes of Dialo and

You are a nice person, seriously.

« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Brisboe but what about next season if Sampson leaves?  And even if we do land those two great players, are we back to being called the youngest team in America once again?

When coach came on bard, he spoke with such bravado re. Competing for a national championship.  Can anyone in their heart believe that they way recruiting has gone for these past two seasons that such rhetoric is realistic?  My biggest fear is that if coach does not come up with some signature recruits soon that such local programs as Seton Hall will soon surpass us.  And while I don't condone the shady practice that the Hall used to bring in such recruits, the reality is that in he future, should they have a strong program, no one but us Johnny fans will even remember the underhanded circumstances involved.

« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »

You are a nice person, seriously.

A nice person?  No that would be someone that condemns someone for their point of view.  But as usual you have nothing of substance to contribute.

SJUFAN

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2013, 01:05:35 AM »

Brisboe but what about next season if Sampson leaves?  And even if we do land those two great players, are we back to being called the youngest team in America once again?

When coach came on bard, he spoke with such bravado re. Competing for a national championship.  Can anyone in their heart believe that they way recruiting has gone for these past two seasons that such rhetoric is realistic?  My biggest fear is that if coach does not come up with some signature recruits soon that such local programs as Seton Hall will soon surpass us.  And while I don't condone the shady practice that the Hall used to bring in such recruits, the reality is that in he future, should they have a strong program, no one but us Johnny fans will even remember the underhanded circumstances involved.

The recruiting has been great the last two years. Signature recruits? Year one BE rookie of the year Moe, Year two BE rookie of the year JK and the nations leading shot blocker CO. Year three, Jordan. Year four TBD. You cant judge the class until the class is finalized. The Hall landed Whitehead, good for them, now they will surpass us as a program because of that? That's not realistic.

We will be very good these next two years, I don't see Sampson leaving after this year. Unless we make a final four and he's the main reason. If CO doesn't improve his offense and shoots better than 40% from the stripe, he is a four year player. Jones will be very good. I like the direction Coach is taking the program.   

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 01:07:41 AM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »

So, you expected to have a national championship at this point? I think you should go root for Kentucky and go to their board so you can complain about how they missed out on Wiggins.

St. John's recruiting since Lavin came aboard is the last thing you should be criticizing.

« Reply #134 on: November 01, 2013, 06:42:00 AM »

The recruiting has been great the last two years. Signature recruits? Year one BE rookie of the year Moe, Year two BE rookie of the year JK and the nations leading shot blocker CO. Year three, Jordan. Year four TBD. You cant judge the class until the class is finalized. The Hall landed Whitehead, good for them, now they will surpass us as a program because of that? That's not realistic.

We will be very good these next two years, I don't see Sampson leaving after this year. Unless we make a final four and he's the main reason. If CO doesn't improve his offense and shoots better than 40% from the stripe, he is a four year player. Jones will be very good. I like the direction Coach is taking the program.   

Thank you
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2013, 08:12:07 AM »

You mean like when he didn't land Gathers (4.7 ppg/4.5 reb), and had to settle for the BE rookie of the year, again? Give it up buddy. There is no big man that we needed more than a point guard. Anyone who watched this team knows that.

If you are not a St.John's fan, that's fine, but cut the crap, or F off.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:12:54 AM by Poison »

derk

« Reply #136 on: November 01, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »

You mean like when he didn't land Gathers (4.7 ppg/4.5 reb), and had to settle for the BE rookie of the year, again? Give it up buddy. There is no big man that we needed more than a point guard. Anyone who watched this team knows that.

If you are not a St.John's fan, that's fine, but cut the crap, or F off.

And not just a PG but one of the great recruits in the class. Now if we had settled for some mediocre type I could see his point.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
What should be the goal for getting new recruits for every class (except when they leave early)? I understand that he had to re balance the roster, but is fair to say that Lavin should work his scholarships where he on needs to replace on average 3 players every year (players that contribute on a regular basis to the team).
Cougar O' Malley