thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: Jakaar #85
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 05:07:02 PM »
No Harrison?

jr49

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
CO #1 shot blocker as a freshmen. No spot for him on the list! Pointer good chance to make that list look silly. He can help a team in many ways.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »
Devils advocate
Harrison until proven different is too volatile, his suspension cost us wins and all bull killed the teams NCAA hopes. Also towards the end of last season he was fading.
CO one dimensional hopefully his offense takes a solid leap.
Pointer is turning I a versatile player and the heart and soul of this team...However how heart and soul type players on losing teams get ranked?

Bottom line we got to win and put together a complete season to get some respect...

Thoughts?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 10:50:02 PM »
Devils advocate
Harrison until proven different is too volatile, his suspension cost us wins and all bull killed the teams NCAA hopes. Also towards the end of last season he was fading.
Pointer is turning I a versatile player and the heart and soul of this team...However how heart and soul type players on losing teams get ranked?

Bottom line we got to win and put together a complete season to get some respect...

Thoughts?

Anything Obekpa gives us on offense is a bonus. We don't need him to improve on offense as much as we need him to on post defense and rebounding. If he gives us 2 put backs a game, I think we have enough scorers now to where that won't be a problem.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 10:57:48 PM »
Devils advocate

Thoughts?

Anything Obekpa gives us on offense is a bonus. We don't need him to improve on offense as much as we need him to on post defense and rebounding. If he gives us 2 put backs a game, I think we have enough scorers now to where that won't be a problem.

His defense that good to be top 100?
Cougar O' Malley

desco80

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:59:05 PM »
Devils advocate

Thoughts?

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Would love to see CO develop some low post moves, but the truth is his value is in defense.  The difference between him and elite defenders tho was he couldn't guard a big man in the post.  Coach would put Garrett on Cooley or Lubick bc he was the better defender even tho undersized.   Hope to see a lot more from Chris in that area this season.   

Foad

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »

To where that? Someone's been taking grammar lessons from Troy Aikman. Anyway, agree generally that Obekpa doesn't need to be an offensive force for this team to be succeed. Although I assume that he'd like to develop an offensive game and his coach sees the value in any contributions CO might make as a front court scorer. Towards the end of last season Obekpa began experimenting with a jump hook - in its brief appearance it seemed designed merely to stun opposing players by caroming into their heads at high velocity off the front rim. If he spent any time in the off season working on that he might well rate some touches inside, as he has pretty good interior passing skills.

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
You can still be really good in college basketball and not be top 100. Additionally this is just 3-4 guy's opinions.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
Devils advocate

Thoughts?

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Would love to see CO develop some low post moves, but the truth is his value is in defense.  The difference between him and elite defenders tho was he couldn't guard a big man in the post.  Coach would put Garrett on Cooley or Lubick bc he was the better defender even tho undersized.   Hope to see a lot more from Chris in that area this season.   

Very true.  Most fans will only see the block from Obekpa and ignore the poor positioning and one-on-one defensive skills.  He really improved drmatically by the end of the season, but he still has a long way to go. Blocks from centers are like interceptions from CBs...it's not always the best indicator of how well they are playing defense. 

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 12:07:36 PM »

To where that? Someone's been taking grammar lessons from Troy Aikman.

I'm glad you understood my point despite my grammar mistake.

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 12:45:52 PM »
If Harrison  shows the maturity we have been reading about, and plays under control, I have no doubt he'll land on a list like that by the end of the season.  The improvement around him should help immensely.

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
Why aren't all 13 scholarship players on St. John's not on the top 100 list?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 01:55:16 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
I don't think anyone even came close to saying that.  Sampson and D-Lo as potential top 100 guys isn't really a stretch IMO.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
I don't think anyone even came close to saying that.  Sampson and D-Lo as potential top 100 guys isn't really a stretch IMO.

I guess your sarcasm meter is broken.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »

I guess your sarcasm meter is broken.

It looks like it is working fine.  You may have to read that one over again.  He clearly got the sarcastic message and his response is spot on.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:39 PM »
Blocked shots are sexy and get you on the Fox top 10 plays of the day.  Screw defensive fundamentals.  I'd like to see him block 10 a game but Orlando and Double G's minutes could seriously cut into his numbers.

LJSA

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
Blocked shots are sexy and get you on the Fox top 10 plays of the day.  Screw defensive fundamentals.  I'd like to see him block 10 a game but Orlando and Double G's minutes could seriously cut into his numbers.

I think the double G's on the chubbiest cheerleader see more court time than Achiuwa. But Orlando definitely cuts into Obekpa's numbers.

jr49

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
Foul shooting, especially down the stretch might effect CO's minutes. If he can get to the line and make'em  it would be a big move forward.

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 12:26:37 PM »
Anybody catch his extremely efficient 22 pt. (career high?) 7 rebound (career high?) against the Knicks the other day.

Hollywood won games here and put players in the league.  Quite remarkable.