Who Will Be Most Improved?

• 30 replies

desco80

Who Will Be Most Improved?
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »
Obviously we have a lot of young guys coming off just their first or 2nd season of D1 ball, and a few others who were hampered by nagging injuries.
Who do you think will surprise us the most this season?

For my money I think we'll see that Branch and Obekpa have developed the most.   Branch only got a 1/2 a season to show us what he could do, and for most of it he was injured.   And, Obekpa has the raw ability but hasn't been playing basketball all that long.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:14:47 PM by desco80 »

derk

Re: Who Will Be Most Improved?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »
Obviously we have a lot of young guys coming off just their first or 2nd season of D1 ball, and a few others who were hampered by nagging injuries.

For my money I think we'll see that Branch and Obekpa have developed the most.   Branch only got a 1/2 a season to show us what he could do, and for most of it he was injured.   And, Obekpa has the raw ability but hasn't been playing basketball all that long.   

ditto

SJUFAN

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:48:02 PM »
Obviously we have a lot of young guys coming off just their first or 2ND season of D1 ball, and a few others who were hampered by nagging injuries.

For my money I think we'll see that Branch and Obj have developed the most.   Branch only got a 1/2 a season to show us what he could do, and for most of it he was injured.   And, Obj has the raw ability but hasn't been playing basketball all that long.   

I believe it will be Branch but hope it's JK. I think if JK elevates his game and becomes a consistant threat to knock down 15-17 footers, we have a real good chance of making some noise come March.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »
I voted Branch. But it wouldn't shock me if it's Dom or Obekpa either.

I could see Dom becoming a threat with that corner 3 and seeing his overall offensive game even more polished. Really could see him averaging 10-12 per game this year.

Obekpa, while I don't see him becoming much of an offensive threat at all, could still improve greatly on defense and rebounding, and I think he will. I think there's a chance that when this season is over he's viewed as one of the best defensive big men in the country.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »
I hope Harrison's attitude is the most improved.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 04:05:55 PM »
Coach says Branch, so that's who I picked. Also, we saw that he played well in Europe.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 04:06:40 PM by Poison »

jr49

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:14:09 PM »
Branch can move forward with polish, DLo with his grit, and a bunch of guys with raw talent. Thats what we all hoping, and why we think they have a chance to be real good. Getting better from year to year was something we didn't see much of around here.

bk8664

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »
Obviously we have a lot of young guys coming off just their first or 2ND season of D1 ball, and a few others who were hampered by nagging injuries.

For my money I think we'll see that Branch and Obj have developed the most.   Branch only got a 1/2 a season to show us what he could do, and for most of it he was injured.   And, Obj has the raw ability but hasn't been playing basketball all that long.   

I believe it will be Branch but hope it's JK. I think if JK elevates his game and becomes a consistant threat to knock down 15-17 footers, we have a real good chance of making some noise come March.

We need less 15 to 17 footers... not more.   I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we really need drives & layups; drives n' dishes to layups and three-pointers.  15 to 17 footers is the worst shot in basketball.

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:35:03 PM »
My money is on Obekpa. He had a terrific freshman season, but will be a year older, bigger, better coached and have an understanding of what to expect from Big East opponents.

redslope

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 06:53:58 PM »
I voted with the majority--glad you hide the results so we are not skewed in our thinking. I think we did not see the HS player he was last year and now with Jordan competing for PT he feels challenged.  It is amazing how a shark in the water makes one swim faster.
While I did not vote for D'angelo--neither did anyone at this time--his change of attitude combined with the increase in talent  could make him a more efficient player and thus qualify as a most improved

desco80

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:46:03 PM »

We need less 15 to 17 footers... not more.   I'm not trying to be a jerk, but we really need drives & layups; drives n' dishes to layups and three-pointers.  15 to 17 footers is the worst shot in basketball.

+1
And a lot more foul shots.    A LOT more.

But I understand what SJUfan  meant.   Jakarr will be much more dangerous if he is more of a threat to hit that shot.   Doesn't mean he's should shoot more from there, just make more of the ones he does take.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:49:13 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »
I voted with the majority--glad you hide the results so we are not skewed in our thinking. I think we did not see the HS player he was last year and now with Jordan competing for PT he feels challenged.  It is amazing how a shark in the water makes one swim faster.
While I did not vote for D'angelo--neither did anyone at this time--his change of attitude combined with the increase in talent  could make him a more efficient player and thus qualify as a most improved

I voted for Branch because I think he played much below his potential last year due to rust, chemistry, injuries etc.. But my second choice would be deangelo. He'll benefit more than any body thanks to additional offensive weapons. Also hope that his weightloss will help him out on the defensive end, but I actually think Dlo gets a bad rep as a defender. He's not the quickest of foot but at least he's got instincts.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 11:46:39 PM »
Branch in a runaway.  We just really haven't seen enough of this kid.  He joined the team midway through the year--never easy for anyone let alone a point guard--and had about two months before his injury.  He was the #52 recruit in the country.  I think this can be the year he makes the jump to an all-Big East caliber player.  I wouldn't be shocked to seem him on the third team come season's end.

Next, I'd say Harrison, but it's really just him being the same old guy with a better supporting cast and a better attitude.  I think this kid can be one of the best.  I hope he proves me right.  I have the highest PPG expectation on the boards, but I did for Hardy as well and hit that exactly on the head.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 12:20:23 AM »
Branch in a runaway.  We just really haven't seen enough of this kid.  He joined the team midway through the year--never easy for anyone let alone a point guard--and had about two months before his injury.  He was the #52 recruit in the country.  I think this can be the year he makes the jump to an all-Big East caliber player.  I wouldn't be shocked to seem him on the third team come season's end.

Next, I'd say Harrison, but it's really just him being the same old guy with a better supporting cast and a better attitude.  I think this kid can be one of the best.  I hope he proves me right.  I have the highest PPG expectation on the boards, but I did for Hardy as well and hit that exactly on the head.

What is your ppg prediction for Harrison.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 11:23:54 AM »
If Branch is a 3rd team All BE player, we'll win the BE. It's asking for a lot though.

SJUFAN

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »

Well I disagree with that notion. That's a theoretical point that has no practical basis in an actual basketball game. Like running plays is the worst play in football, theoretically speaking. Defenses can take away drives, as an offense you have to be able to take what the defense gives you.

As Desco has stated, I'm not suggesting they take more jump shots, they need to convert on a higher percentage. That being said IMO, the worst shot in basketball is a contested shot early in the shot clock. Rick Pitino says the worst shot is a shot just inside the three point line. JK inability to make a 15-17 foot jump shot is why he's not in the NBA.

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 11:44:15 AM »
Just a hunch if he gets enough run that Felix will thrive with the point guard play.

ras

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:09 PM »
Just a hunch if he gets enough run that Felix will thrive with the point guard play.
He wont get enough run. Lavin loves Greene. Between Greene and DLO the SG position is covered.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
He wont get enough run. Lavin loves Greene. Between Greene and DLO the SG position is covered.

Balamou is a three this season.  Minutes will be tough to get,but I am really looking forward to what this kid can offer.  Don't forget, he and Obekpa played a 2-3 defense in high school and AAU. 

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 02:16:51 PM »

Balamou is a three this season.  Minutes will be tough to get,but I am really looking forward to what this kid can offer.  Don't forget, he and Obekpa played a 2-3 defense in high school and AAU. 

Redshirt