Moving without the ball

• 21 replies

Poison

Moving without the ball
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:30:26 AM »
I left after watching Hooper and Bourgault stand around like statues at the 3 point line. I was really hoping that Hooper would be a scorer from all over the court. It seems as though this will be the only shot he'll be taking. Now we know why he didn't play at Harvard. All he does is shoot threes, and Harvard players can shoot threes, and also contribute in other ways.

It's great to have a guy that can do this, but if this is all he'll do, you get a hand in his face, and he's no longer a great shooter. He's not going by you. My advice to Hooper is to actively work on the rest of your game. Rebounding, passing, dribbling, a mid range game. A post up move. And hit the weight room. This isn't the Ivy. He's going to get thrown around like a rag doll.

I say this because I'd really like a 3 pointer shooter in the line up to encourage more man to man defenses from opponents.

Re: Moving without the ball
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
I didn't watch the game, but from the comments, sounds like we are running-lol the same offense. Hopper is going to be a non factor in this offense. Some of you gets are getting all worked up about him and will just start bashing him when he goes 0-2 and gets sporadic minutes. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:18:21 AM by we are sju »

tnice

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
I left after watching Hooper and Bourgault stand around like statues at the 3 point line. I was really hoping that Hooper would be a scorer from all over the court. It seems as though this will be the only shot he'll be taking. Now we know why he didn't play at Harvard. All he does is shoot threes, and Harvard players can shoot threes, and also contribute in other ways.

It's great to have a guy that can do this, but if this is all he'll do, you get a hand in his face, and he's no longer a great shooter. He's not going by you. My advice to Hooper is to actively work on the rest of your game. Rebounding, passing, dribbling, a mid range game. A post up move. And hit the weight room. This isn't the Ivy. He's going to get thrown around like a rag doll.

I say this because I'd really like a 3 pointer shooter in the line up to encourage more man to man defenses from opponents.

If you have a guy on the floor like Hooper who's open the minute he walks in the gym, especially if he's on the floor with DLo, he can help the offense even if he doesn't hit a shot because he extends the defense.

Part of the reason SJU struggled last year was because we only had one guy- and when DLo got suspended, no guys- who had to be respected past the arc. So teams just packed in the zone against us, cut off dribble penetration without any fear that there would be a kick out to a guy who could knock down a three. With Hooper on the floor, the D either has to stretch to respect his range- opening up driving lanes and space for entry passes- or give up threes. That's huge in and of itself, regardless of how many threes he actually knocks down.

CC

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:02:40 AM »

If you take a look at the roster, and a possible rotation once BE play starts Hooper and Marco will not see much time. 10th and 11th men.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:18:44 PM »

They didnt stand like statues.  They got plenty of good looks.  They also both ran curls and got looks off the pick n roll.  Max is a set shooter, Bourgault, not quite as much, but most college offenses don't run sets where all 5 guys are running in frenetic motion off the ball.  They weren't statues at all out there.  Watch it again on espn3.  No they ant running in a circle the entire game like JJ reddick, but we ran offense all game long with quite a few different looks. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:28:22 PM by MCNPA »

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 03:11:37 PM »

If you take a look at the roster, and a possible rotation once BE play starts Hooper and Marco will not see much time. 10th and 11th men.

Disagree with your take on Hooper.

CC

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 03:20:03 PM »

I'd be willing to bet there will be BE games that he doesn't even play in.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:36:46 PM »
Prediction:
People will be clamoring for Hooper to play more.
Hooper will get sporadic minutes and shots and struggle.
People will then claim Hooper stinks
Hooper will get in a game and hit some threes.
People will claim Hooper should have been playing all along
Hooper will struggle the next game and his minutes will diasppear.
People will again claim Hooper stinks

I saw the French version of this movie last year ;D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:37:34 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »

I'd be willing to bet there will be BE games that he doesn't even play in.

i think this is true, especially against more athletic teams. 

that said, when hooper has been on the floor, you can feel the team looking for him.  they know he's going to be camping out on the perimeter.  I think it's a good thing to provide a spark.  i'd love for him to become a real threat.

isham

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 07:40:13 PM »
My wife and I attended last nights game mainly to see Hooper and  Jordan. Jordan is the real deal.  By the end of the year this kid will be the second best player on the court behind Harrison. Hooper also will play a major role on this team.  He's not the quickest guy but he looks to have a good feel for the game. He has a quick release and moves well without the ball. I loved the fact that he missed his first two shots and was still looking for the ball. After he made his next two shots he was ready to steal the ball from his own teammates so he could shot. Remember he hasn't played in two years and it will take a few games to get in the flow. I don't want to sound arrogant but I've coached on the H S level for over 25 yrs and I'm a decent evaluation of talent.
Pointer continues to improve and if the team can shot over 73% from the foul line we will be dancing in March

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
Hooper is going to be a key part of this team. He is a deadeye. Best pure shooter we've had here in a while. It's honestly ok if thats all he does is shoot 3's. Think Steve Novak on the Knicks a couple years ago. When he's not shooting, he spreads the floor for other guys to get open looks. This is something we drastically needed last season, and we had no one who could come close to doing it.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »
My wife and I attended last nights game mainly to see Hooper and  Jordan. Jordan is the real deal.  By the end of the year this kid will be the second best player on the court behind Harrison. Hooper also will play a major role on this team.  He's not the quickest guy but he looks to have a good feel for the game. He has a quick release and moves well without the ball. I loved the fact that he missed his first two shots and was still looking for the ball. After he made his next two shots he was ready to steal the ball from his own teammates so he could shot. Remember he hasn't played in two years and it will take a few games to get in the flow. I don't want to sound arrogant but I've coached on the H S level for over 25 yrs and I'm a decent evaluation of talent.
Pointer continues to improve and if the team can shot over 73% from the foul line we will be dancing in March

Hooper moves well w out the ball? I went last night too. I didn't see him move at all.

ras

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
Gift played better than I thought he would. He was a real inside presence, ,a rarity for this team. He may get more PT than many ,including myself anticipated.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 08:32:51 PM »
Gift played better than I thought he would. He was a real inside presence, ,a rarity for this team. He may get more PT than many ,including myself anticipated.

I'd agree, except in his first season he also dominated against lesser opponents, but in games against tougher teams, he disappeared.

ras

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
You maybe right. But maybe practicing w the team all last year paid off.

desco80

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 10:14:18 PM »
Where do the minutes come from for Gift to play?   Sampson and Sanchez get 30 each, Obekpa another 20, that's all the minutes there are at  pf/c.   

And before you start subtracting mins from guys, remember that Jakarr is the reigning Big  East rookie of the yr, and a pro prospect, he's locked in as a full time starter regardless of how many 3s he's takes.   Obekpa led the country in blocks  and has enormous upside if his rebounding improves.  And, Sanchez is the piece we waited for all last year.

There's a similar story in the backcourt, as much as Hooper might look like a contributor, there aren't any mins left unless coach decides to bench branch or Phil.   

Exhibition games are deceiving because coach emptied the benches early.   If Harrison, Sampson, and Obekpa play their normal minutes yesterday we would have barely seen hooper and gift. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:14:50 PM by desco80 »

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 10:25:48 PM »
Where do the minutes come from for Gift to play?   Sampson and Sanchez get 30 each, Obekpa another 20, that's all the minutes there are at  pf/c.   

And before you start subtracting mins from guys, remember that Jakarr is the reigning Big  East rookie of the yr, and a pro prospect, he's locked in as a full time starter regardless of how many 3s he's takes.   Obekpa led the country in blocks  and has enormous upside if his rebounding improves.  And, Sanchez is the piece we waited for all last year.

There's a similar story in the backcourt, as much as Hooper might look like a contributor, there aren't any mins left unless coach decides to bench branch or Phil.   

Exhibition games are deceiving because coach emptied the benches early.   If Harrison, Sampson, and Obekpa play their normal minutes yesterday we would have barely seen hooper and gift. 

If Sampson doesn't play well he won't get thirty minutes. That goes for everybody really.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »

If Sampson doesn't play well he won't get thirty minutes. That goes for everybody really.

Yea, but even if he's throwing up bricks his defense and rebounding is good enough to make him deserve a lot of playing time. 
He would have to be truly awful for that to happen Mase. I can't envision a scenario where he isn't getting huge mins.   

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 11:16:09 PM »

Yea, but even if he's throwing up bricks his defense and rebounding is good enough to make him deserve a lot of playing time. 
He would have to be truly awful for that to happen Mase. I can't envision a scenario where he isn't getting huge mins.   

He'll definitely get every opportunity to get major minutes I can't argue that. My point was that it's not a given for anyone to continue to get big time minutes if they are not improving. That's the best thing about depth.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »

Hooper moves well w out the ball? I went last night too. I didn't see him move at all.

I watched it on espn3.  Hooper moved plenty off the ball.  You can watch it again if you like.