Big Day Wednesday

• 50 replies
Big Day Wednesday
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
For all Division one schools as it is the first day of the early signing period. Looks like we will be shut out during this period for the second year in a row. I say this without any real knowledge I am just relying on the fact that none of our posters with inside information have even alluded to the possibility of an early signing. Hopefully the late signing period bears fruit.

Re: Big Day Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:19:33 PM »
For all Division one schools as it is the first day of the early signing period. Looks like we will be shut out during this period for the second year in a row. I say this without any real knowledge I am just relying on the fact that none of our posters with inside information have even alluded to the possibility of an early signing. Hopefully the late signing period bears fruit.

Bringing up last year's early signing period makes no sense.  We had no scholarships to give and when room was eventually made for a guy we ended up with our top ranked player in decades.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:03:30 PM »
 Don't talk facts or actually make sense... you might injure some brains

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
Don't talk facts or actually make sense... you might injure some brains
You could have still signed a player early like we did late as long as your schollie situation is resolved by the next season. Come to think of it Boo I do get a headache after reading your posts. How come it is OK for you to be critical of our team when you want to be but when someone else is critical you jump all over them. Not a psychiatrist but I play one on TV and I would say you have a split personality or are manic-depressive.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
I'm not the least bit concerned w signing players. Lavin doesn't have to answer for that. He's done it, time and again.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »
I say this without any real knowledge

What else is new?

boo3

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:36:33 PM »

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:46 PM »
Agree with Poison.  The recruiting prowess of our coach and staff is indisputable.  It is the on-the-court stuff and player development that people question, and rightly so on certain occasions.

DFF6

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 08:03:37 AM »
I'll start worrying about our recruiting prospects when our talent-stocked, experienced team consistently underperforms.   

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »
To use a trite political catchphrase:  Ladies and gentlemen, are you better off today than you were four years ago?

Foad

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 09:00:28 AM »
Agree with Poison.  The recruiting prowess of our coach and staff is indisputable.  It is the on-the-court stuff and player development that people question, and rightly so on certain occasions.

I think you'd be hard pressed to point to a player has been ill served by the staff in terms of their BB development. Certainly the players who are starting their third years are maturing normally, at least as far as can be told from seeing them play 30 minutes of their junior years. For myself I'm surprised that there's anyone who's surprised that they didn't come out crisp on the road against a top 20 team in November or who thinks that there's a long-term take away from their performance.

OTOH I'd agree that TGAPL has demonstrated fully that he's not a tactician. To that extent UCLA fans had his number 20 years ago, CRIPGreen's paean's to his genius notwithstanding. Fortunately that's not necessarily a fatal flaw: many successful BB coaches - Jim Boeheim and Johnny Clamchowder spring to mind - are far from strategic geniuses. The difference between them and Lavin - at least so far - is that they are smrat enough to design systems that minimize their chances of cocking up.   

boo3

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »

I think you'd be hard pressed to point to a player has been ill served by the staff in terms of their BB development. Certainly the players who are starting their third years are maturing normally, at least as far as can be told from seeing them play 30 minutes of their junior years. For myself I'm surprised that there's anyone who's surprised that they didn't come out crisp on the road against a top 20 team in November or who thinks that there's a long-term take away from their performance.

OTOH I'd agree that TGAPL has demonstrated fully that he's not a tactician. To that extent UCLA fans had his number 20 years ago, CRIPGreen's paean's to his genius notwithstanding. Fortunately that's not necessarily a fatal flaw: many successful BB coaches - Jim Boeheim and Johnny Clamchowder spring to mind - are far from strategic geniuses. The difference between them and Lavin - at least so far - is that they are smrat enough to design systems that minimize their chances of cocking up.   

The voice of reason... Well said, Foad..

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »
Calipari and Boheim also recruit good point guards. Makes shaky game coaches look a lot better.BTW I think Boheim is an underated coach, I think that old stigma is unwarranted. In addition to being the best recruiter on the planet and always having the top Point guard recruit, Cal at least plays a pleasing style.
Lavin's failure to land a good playmaker has been the biggest issue on why we always look so stagnate on offense.

uwsfan

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »
Calipari and Boheim also recruit good point guards. Makes shaky game coaches look a lot better.BTW I think Boheim is an underated coach, I think that old stigma is unwarranted. In addition to being the best recruiter on the planet and always having the top Point guard recruit, Cal at least plays a pleasing style.
Lavin's failure to land a good playmaker has been the biggest issue on why we always look so stagnate on offense.

Cal and Boeheim may be a couple of notches below guys like Pitino and Coach K, but they are still a couple of notches above Lavin.
Lavin needs to have superior recruits for success, that is why the fans here stress so much about the next class. Another coach can take a team with moderate talent, or one that has unexpected injury or NBA flight and still field a respectable tournament caliber team, instead of whining about how "if only Harkless had stayed we would have been in tourney" the way Lavin did.

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 11:04:32 AM »
lavin seems to be resting on his laurels. his laid back recruiting style has cost him chris mc.  several years of one or zero recruits brings him into norm roberts territory.  the results have been underwhelming.  west coast recruits have been an empty vessel, city recruits missed chances, and results hard to swallow.  anyone who thinks we can compete with syracuse year to year is sadly mistaken.  thought that whittsell could fill the dunlap role but so far seems we are lost defensively and in intensity.

bk8664

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
lavin seems to be resting on his laurels. his laid back recruiting style has cost him chris mc.  several years of one or zero recruits brings him into norm roberts territory.  the results have been underwhelming.  west coast recruits have been an empty vessel, city recruits missed chances, and results hard to swallow.  anyone who thinks we can compete with syracuse year to year is sadly mistaken.  thought that whittsell could fill the dunlap role but so far seems we are lost defensively and in intensity.

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
What Lavin is doing is taking a bet on 2015 recruiting.  Whether or not this was a result of an unexpectedly bad 2014 cycle is another story.  We know the staff has taken a more active approach to top 2015 targets, both nationally and locally.  Just need to ride out an off recruiting year and hope our upperclassmen produce this year and next while the staff restocks.

MCNPA

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

Which is why we have Rysheed Jordan who is going to be very, very good.  He does need some time to get adjusted to this level though. 

Poison

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
Boeheim taught his kids the zone, and they've learned it. They may suck at man to man, but at least they've learned something, and that is a really young team. Lavin should have an answer to what kind of defense we play this summer. I have no idea what they learned in Europe, if anything.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »
Until Lavin said he was better than Jason Kidd I had always heard he was a scoring point. Which is fine, but then why is Branch starting with him? If he is really some combo Baron Davis / Jason Kidd, start him with Harrison play Pointer at the 3 and let Jordan do his thing