Bucknell

• 249 replies

paultzman

Bucknell
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
Not a "gimme" for sure;

@JonRothstein: Dave Paulsen and Bucknell went to Stanford last week and lost by four. Tonight they beat Penn State in Happy Valley 90-80. Solid team.

Poison

Re: Bucknell
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:56:28 PM »
Bucknell could pound us.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:04:59 PM »
Bucknell could pound us.
Come on, Poison. It's highly unlikely that we'd get "pounded.."   We'll be 8-10 point favorites. I appreciate your skepticism on this board but this is unjustified hyperbolic negativity.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:51:14 PM »
Bucknell could pound us.
Come on, Poison. It's highly unlikely that we'd get "pounded.."   We'll be 8-10 point favorites. I appreciate your skepticism on this board but this is unjustified hyperbolic negativity.

Every pre season we lose a game that we have no business losing. Actually, it's become the standard here. Bucknell won 28 games last year. No way they come out unprepared, and selfish like we did on Friday.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 11:53:11 PM »
I have to agree with Poison. We always lose an early game it seems. I'm not taking any games for granted except for maybe long wood

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
I didn't say losing wasn't possible. I said getting pounded was a remote possibility at best and the comment was unnecessary. 

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:35:01 AM »
I have to agree with Poison. We always lose an early game it seems. I'm not taking any games for granted except for maybe long wood

Longwood beat TCU at TCU by 82-79 Tuesday.

Poison

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
I didn't say losing wasn't possible. I said getting pounded was a remote possibility at best and the comment was unnecessary. 

It's not a remote possibility. Bucknell has taken out Kansas in the tournament. They won 28 games last year. They should be favored.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:02:29 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »

I've seen us to lose to Cal Irvine. We can lose to anyone.

derk

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:07 AM »

And LIU barely lost to Indiana. INDIANA ! It happens. And this is just the kind of team we've lost to in the past. But it's time for us to start winning these occ early season games.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
The real question is, how many local D1 teams haven't beaten STJ in the last 20 years?
Fordham, Manhattan, Iona, Hofstra, St.Francis, LIU and Fairfield have all beaten us.
(That's a lot of suffering)

And that's just off the top of my head. Stony Brook and Wagner have not beaten us. At least not in a very long time. Eventually, it's gonna happen.

CC

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
The real question is, how many local D1 teams haven't beaten STJ in the last 20 years?
Fordham, Manhattan, Iona, Hofstra, St.Francis, LIU and Fairfield have all beaten us.

And that's just off the top of my head. Stony Brook and Wagner have not beaten us. At least not in a very long time. Eventually, it's gonna happen.

How embarrassing was it when STJ refused to play Hofstra anymore after they beat them a few times

Poison

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »

How embarrassing was it when STJ refused to play Hofstra anymore after they beat them a few times

Iona, Manhattan, Niagara, the list feels like it's endless.

CC

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:24 AM »

Those three would make more sense than Longwood, Monmouth, and Youngstown St

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:42 AM »
Muscala graduated last year.  They are definitely less talented than last year's team.  We are much better and, while a loss is certainly possible, it is definitely unlikely that we lose big at home. 

I know it's a little early in the season to use this as gospel, but Pomeroy would suggest Bucknell is only better than DePaul in the Big East.  A tough mid major opponent, no doubt, but it's still unlikely that we would get beat worse than we did on the road v Wisconsin (12th in the country on KenPom).

If we lose, it will be a close game.  Even then, it's more likely that we win by double digits.

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 10:12:22 AM »

Longwood is the 314th ranked team in the country.  Huge win against 264th ranked TCU, the worst team in the Big 12. 

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 10:14:12 AM »
wagner did beat us back in the day when pj carlesimo coached them.

it's sad that our program has progressed so little that we're still worried about them and bucknell.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

Monmouth and Longwood were not scheduled by us.  Part of the Barclays Classic.  Youngstown St. won 18 games last year, and went to the CIT posteseason.  Don't know what their returning situation is though.

I think the Bucknell game will be similar to the Detriot game last year, and the Lehigh game the year before that.  I wouldn't count this as the annual "on-campus shocking loss" because, IMO, Bucknell has too much credibility for that.  None of us would be really suprised by a loss, unlike Ashville last year, or Northeastern the year before.  Like I said though, I expect this game to be like the first two I mentioned, and those did wind up as victories in the end.

CC

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »

Monmouth and Longwood were not scheduled by us.  Part of the Barclays Classic.  Youngstown St. won 18 games last year, and went to the CIT posteseason.  Don't know what their returning situation is though.

I think the Bucknell game will be similar to the Detriot game last year, and the Lehigh game the year before that.  I wouldn't count this as the annual "on-campus shocking loss" because, IMO, Bucknell has too much credibility for that.  None of us would be really suprised by a loss, unlike Ashville last year, or Northeastern the year before.  Like I said though, I expect this game to be like the first two I mentioned, and those did wind up as victories in the end.

I like the Bucknell match up also, could be a possible 1st round of Ncaa type game.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 10:25:53 AM »

Detroit and Lehigh both had star upperclassmen guards who were better than any player on our roster (both are in the NBA now).  Lehigh beat Duke in the tournament that year, but they'd have no chance of beating Duke right now.  Similarly, beating Bucknell at home without Muscala (drafted 2nd round) is a completely different and less arduous task than if this game was played last season.