Bucknell

• 249 replies
Re: Bucknell
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:49 AM »
lets see.  bucknell has no scholarship players and outplayed us for most of the game. maybe dave paulsen is a hall of fame coach someday but what is our problem....maybe in the era of 3 point shooters lavin is in love with athletes not basketball players.

« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2013, 09:20:17 AM »
Green is freaking nightmare

He won the game, nice call.

Poison

« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2013, 09:31:02 AM »
lets see.  bucknell has no scholarship players and outplayed us for most of the game. maybe dave paulsen is a hall of fame coach someday but what is our problem....maybe in the era of 3 point shooters lavin is in love with athletes not basketball players.

Its a lovely day for some trolling.

boo3

« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2013, 09:32:50 AM »

He played a great second half.  He made some bad plays in the first half.  I later gave him full credit.. Nice try .

Anything nice to say about the win, or just come for the troll?

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »

Well now that we beat " a sweet 16 team", I guess we're an elite 8 team.  The atmosphere last night at the game was typical St.Johns.  Most fans sat on their hands, but the few fans that didn't were assisted by the echo from all the empty seats ( there was no one in the upper sections at the arena).
Great game by Greene who as I stated above won the game with some clutch shooting. Again, no semblence of an offense.  Any scoring this team does is from individual effort and one on one moves.  On the good side, the teams defense tightened up as the game went on and coach had the sense to go to zone defense which turned the game around. Jordan showed flashes of great play but again he is a freshman, and what many on these sites don't seem to get is that frosh need time to develop ( unless you're a Jabari Parker or Julius Randle).  So all you posters out there who think that whiffing ( with front court players) on two straight recruiting classes, if that comes to pass, and even having a stellar 2015 class will still put us in the category of "youngest team in the country " once again and put us back to where we were last seaso

« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »

He played a great second half.  He made some bad plays in the first half.  I later gave him full credit.. Nice try .

Anything nice to say about the win, or just come for the troll?

I was at the game, we're you?  I don't put down players before the final product, as you did. So who is the troll?  Got any mirrors in your house?

boo3

« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:45 AM »
 You were at the game?  Such a big boy.  I was not, I went to the Wagner game and I live in a different state... That must mean you are the "real fan" between us..

"I don't put down players before the final product,"

^ that is a good one.. You have made a posting career of doing just that, whether it's players or coaches. I'd rather not get into a pissing match with you, because, frankly, it's boring embarrassing you constantly.  But I 'm glad to see you took the time to find my post, which I later took back, means I'm in your head, old man.

Poison

« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2013, 09:43:27 AM »

Well now that we beat " a sweet 16 team", I guess we're an elite 8 team.  The atmosphere last night at the game was typical St.Johns.  Most fans sat on their hands, but the few fans that didn't were assisted by the echo from all the empty seats ( there was no one in the upper sections at the arena).
Great game by Greene who as I stated above won the game with some clutch shooting. Again, no semblence of an offense.  Any scoring this team does is from individual effort and one on one moves.  On the good side, the teams defense tightened up as the game went on and coach had the sense to go to zone defense which turned the game around. Jordan showed flashes of great play but again he is a freshman, and what many on these sites don't seem to get is that frosh need time to develop ( unless you're a Jabari Parker or Julius Randle).  So all you posters out there who think that whiffing ( with front court players) on two straight recruiting classes, if that comes to pass, and even having a stellar 2015 class will still put us in the category of "youngest team in the country " once again and put us back to where we were last seaso

When Sanchez drove to the basket, and kicked it out to Greene for a wide open 3 that was an example of a play. What would you like to see instead? In the second half, there was a healthy combo of jump shots and drives to the basket. That's what they should have done. If you were expecting a 20 point win, I think you need to stop looking at this Bucknell team like they are some patsy that Malik Sealy will effortlessly drop 25 points on in the first half. They are a tough, tough team, and they can play w anyone.

boo3

« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »
 I think the plan was to try and get the ball down low. When we did, it was successful, and opened things up. Problem early was that they just packed it on us and dared us to make shots, which we didn't.

« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
When we settle for quick jumpshots off 1 or 2 passes it's bad offense. Be patient and work the ball to the high post or low post very often. Take advantage of Jakarr and Sanchez's ability around the basket. The offense should go through them. From there you can find cutters and shooters.  Just because a team is playing a tight zone doesn't mean we should start hoisting perimeter shots. If teams are going to pack it in, we have to look to get some offense from our defense. The blocks and steals we saw in the 2nd half zone defense created some good opportunities for us on offense and got us some confidence to score. That is why our defense has to be active every game, it can lead to points on a night we are struggling.

« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:19 AM »

Or they give out 13 scholarships just like all D1 schools that are not in the Ivy League conference.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2013, 10:18:16 AM »

Or they give out 13 scholarships just like all D1 schools that are not in the Ivy League conference.

details, Dave, details.....

« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2013, 10:40:41 AM »
You know a poster has an agenda when they disregard blatant facts.  Bucknell is not a world beater.  But they are a solid mid major.  They made the tourney last year and probably will do so again.  With the right matchup, they could win a game.  It wasn't the best W in the world, but it wasn't against a patsy either.

« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
Bucknell is so good, real good. They've dominated the Patriot league for a few years including when Lehigh had NBA player CJ McCollum on their squad. They are very well coached and they represent everything that St. John's has struggled with in the past. This is a bigger win than people may think.

I wasn't going to be surprised if St. John's lost last night.

« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2013, 11:16:29 AM »
Watching the game now. Greene is knocking them down but I still hate his shot selection. He has to lead the nation in attempted long 2's

Moose

« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Watching the game now. Greene is knocking them down but I still hate his shot selection. He has to lead the nation in attempted long 2's

He does.  But if he doesn't fade away its amazing how much the chances of them going in increases.  First half he threw up some patented fade aways.  2nd half he wasnt.
Remember who broke the Slice news

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »
Good win, but it's really frustrating watching us throw away possession after possession with poor ball movement, and terrible shot selection. Bucknell is a solid team, but they are no Marquette/Creighton/Syracuse, and if you want to beat those teams you have to make the most out of your possessions. I thought hiring Whitesell would help, but so far it doesn't seem like it has in that aspect.

On the bright side I loved how the "quick sand" zone looked with Obekpa anchoring the middle.

boo3

« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:34 PM »
Jungle is back!   Whew...

When we face a zone, Sanchez needs to be parked at the foul line and be a point forward.  He will make smart decisions and he's a good passer

« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »

He does.  But if he doesn't fade away its amazing how much the chances of them going in increases.  First half he threw up some patented fade aways.  2nd half he wasnt.

Greene isn't a bad shooter like many on this board think he is. It really has more to do with shot selection. When Greene shoots an open jumper, I'm fairly confident it's going in. It's just he takes way too many contested ones.

« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2013, 06:56:44 PM »

Greene to his left, step back, is his 2nd best shot. First is the floater. Less is almost more with Greene and if he can eliminate some of the poor shots he takes he will be extremely efficient because he really takes care of the ball. His TOs are very very low.