The Good, the bad and the ugly- Wagner

• 29 replies
The Good, the bad and the ugly- Wagner
« on: November 15, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »
The Good-Harrison, Harrison, Harrison.
Sampson played ok but if we are going to score enough to win, he will have to be a consistent 2nd scorer.
Sanchez and Pointer are both solid role players. Both have potential to be a little more than that.
Win is a win. With our offense nothing going to be pretty, any win is a good one. One down hopefully at least 19 more to go.

The Bad-only his 2nd game but he has now been compared to Kidd, Baron Davis and now Gary Payton. Through two games Jordan looks more like Tarik Turner.
Harrison got mad at Branch for not cutting, I think he might need to call his anger sponsor Mike Rice.
Obepka eye rolled Lavin when taken out of the game. Hope there is an opening at John Lucas' joint.

The ugly- We are the worst shooting team in the country. Probably Canada too.
Also I hope we don't play to many more games on FS2 because the quality of the picture was about the same as my niece's sweet 16 video.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:57:48 PM by Dave »

Re: The Good, the bad and the ugly
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »
If you hit the # sign on the remote, the picture quality goes up a bit.  Would be nice to have the game in HD the whole way though.

A win is a win

SJUFAN

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 01:35:04 AM »
Sampson played ok but if we are going to score enough to win, he will have to be a consistent 2nd scorer.
Sanchez and Pointer are both solid role players. Both have potential to be a little more than that.
Win is a win. With our offense nothing going to be pretty, any win is a good one. One down hopefully at least 19 more to go.

The Bad-only his 2nd game but he has now been compared to Kidd, Baron Davis and now Gary Payton. Through two games Jordan looks more like Tarik Turner.
Harrison got mad at Branch for not cutting, I think he might need to call his anger sponsor Mike Rice.
Obepka eye rolled Lavin when taken out of the game. Hope there is an opening at John Lucas' joint.

Also I hope we don't play to many more games on FS2 because the quality of the picture was about the same as my niece's sweet 16 video.

FS2 is in HD on Directv. We are not a good passing team as well. JK is a really bad passer. It's not the offense, its the players' poor vision out there.

boo3

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:31:51 AM »
 Thought it was Green that Harrison got mad at?  Anyway, after that, he went over and gave him a hi-5/bro-hug...  Wasn't anything out of the ordinary..

Harrison plays with a ton of emotion.. More than any player I can remember in a long time.. I think post-suspension, he is now able to harness it and use it to his advantage as opposed to letting it get the best of him..

I think he will average between 20-25 ppg.  Sampson will be a lock for 14-16ppg..

I'm not worried about Jordan yet.. Typical growing pains 2 games in.  I'm not worried about coach's comparisons.. They are meant to motivate kid and prop him up, as well as good media soundbites..  Seriously,  take it with a grain of salt

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
The good was getting a W against a team that really isn't bad.

The bad was FS2 and the game starting so early.  It really looked shiddy on my 70" TV screen.  Luckily, the people I had over had a few drinks before it was all over..

The real bad is Lavin thinking he's still on ESPN so he thinks he has to exaggerate everything to be entertaining.  Nice win...that's entertainment enough.

ras

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »
Harrison looked great. I liked the fact that Branch and Sheed didn't play together. Branch looked good, Sheed didn't,but he ll come around. We need to make 3s. would like to see Hooper get a chance, having him take 1 contested shot and then not playing him again is ridiculous.. played better d. Don't know how good Wagner is and Lavin is still experimenting w lineups,so a little hard to gauge our performance.

CC

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 11:27:52 AM »

That was the last game thankfully on FX2. Embarrassing they would put a product like that on the air. Anyway, in regards to CO eye rolling- my prediction is he will not be with the team at season's end-- suspended, fight with opponent etc etc  Something seems off with him.

boo3

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:01 AM »

That was the last game thankfully on FX2. Embarrassing they would put a product like that on the air. Anyway, in regards to CO eye rolling- my prediction is he will not be with the team at season's end-- suspended, fight with opponent etc etc  Something seems off with him.

I get the impression he thinks he is better than he is..

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 11:38:08 AM »
Kid led the nation in blocks last year. Maybe Lavin could pick a rotation and stick to it. What kid going to be all smiley getting yanked in and out of games with no rhyme or reason.

boo3

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 11:45:03 AM »
He's got 10 guys that can play...The goal is to have a rotation down pat when BE play starts....

This isn't your first rodeo, you know this... come on.  This is what Lavin does and has always done. This shouldn't come as a surprise.. Not that you have to like it, but it is what is going to happen.

CO played plenty last night and was a force down low.. Needs to be a better rebounder. 

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
He's got 10 guys that can play...The goal is to have a rotation down pat when BE play starts....

This isn't your first rodeo, you know this... come on.  This is what Lavin does and has always done. This shouldn't come as a surprise.. Not that you have to like it, but it is what is going to happen.

CO played plenty last night and was a force down low.. Needs to be a better rebounder. 

9 players people need to stop Marco Hooper thing. That dog won't hunt!
My single biggest gripe when it comes to basketball coaches' is subbing guys in and out for no reason. It just baffles me and no successful coach does this. If you played basketball on any level you know it doesn't work.  Norm was sometimes guilty of this but Lavin is the worst at it. Actually the worst I ever seen when it came to a rotation was the one year Larry Brown coached the Knicks. But I am pretty sure he was trying to get fired.

Foad

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2013, 12:06:08 PM »
My single biggest gripe when it comes to basketball coaches' is subbing guys in and out for no reason. It just baffles me and no successful coach does this. If you played basketball on any level you know it doesn't work.  Norm was sometimes guilty of this but Lavin is the worst at it. Actually the worst I ever seen when it came to a rotation was the one year Larry Brown coached the Knicks. But I am pretty sure he was trying to get fired.

I thought the great and powerful rotation was actually pretty good last night. Sanchez Sampson Pointer and DH all at ~ 25 minutes or more. If the scheme is as Lavin says to attack the basket from the perimeter having Obekpa around under the basket just creates a roadblock. Having him on the perimeter is so fool hardy that not even Lavin has thought of it. And he does seem to be in the doghouse a little bit, and despite his stupid grin his attitude blows. Recall he allegedly considered the draft last year and now he's splitting time with Gazundheit, must be a bit of a come down.

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2013, 12:10:25 PM »

I thought the great and powerful rotation was actually pretty good last night. Sanchez Sampson Pointer and DH all at ~ 25 minutes or more. If the scheme is as Lavin says to attack the basket from the perimeter having Obekpa around under the basket just creates a roadblock. Having him on the perimeter is so fool hardy that not even Lavin has thought of it. And he does seem to be in the doghouse a little bit, and despite his stupid grin his attitude blows. Recall he allegedly considered the draft last year and now he's splitting time with Gazundheit, must be a bit of a come down.

Was better than 1st game I agree. What is the point of putting in American Bourgault in for 1 shot then taking him out? Just don't play him. I am not saying he should or shot not play, just you simply can't find out that way.

boo3

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
 Turns out CO had 8 rebs... so he was good in that regard.  He also hustled.  He hit the deck a few times going after loose balls.

He is what he is... a defensive presence.  Not expecting anything offensively.

uwsfan

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
The good: Harrison looks like a National Player of the Year candidate.

The Bad: Everything else.
If Wagner is even an average 3-pt shooting team, the Johnnies lose that game. If there is no improvment against Bucknell, they WILL lose that game.

CC

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »
Turns out CO had 8 rebs... so he was good in that regard.  He also hustled.  He hit the deck a few times going after loose balls.

How can posters imply this kid is an NBA player? Are they out of their minds?

boo3

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
1st rounder in 2015 according to this... don't shoot the messenger...

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2015/

Moose

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 12:47:06 PM »

It's not a question of what posters think. 
It's a question of what CHRIS thinks.
Remember who broke the Slice news

CC

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 12:47:26 PM »
That's funny stuff. He is what he is , a good shot blocker who needs to grab more rebounds. I don't think there is a chance he plays in the NBA but he sure can help STJ.

CC

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »

It's not a question of what posters think. 
It's a question of what CHRIS thinks.

You mean him or me.