Obekpa and the match up zone...

• 27 replies

Marillac

Re: Obekpa and the match up zone...
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 02:21:04 PM »
Obekpa was awful in the first half.  He really got it together in the second, but I don't know why everyone thinks he was this amazing player against Bucknell.  He personally allowed a half-dozen layups. 

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »
Obekpa was awful in the first half.  He really got it together in the second, but I don't know why everyone thinks he was this amazing player against Bucknell.  He personally allowed a half-dozen layups. 

There was a play late in the second half where bucknell got the ball 3 feet from the rim and instead of running over right away, Obekpa stood there and baited him into shooting. He was able to block the shot but against better teams it won't always work that way.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

boo3

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »
 He is still extremely raw. I doubt he has even played basketball for more than 5 years in his life.  He has one skill that he has been blessed with that cannot be taught.  He can block that ball.  He is a weapon very few teams have the luxury of having.   He is still learning the game..

Foad

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 03:17:02 PM »
He is still extremely raw. I doubt he has even played basketball for more than 5 years in his life.  He has one skill that he has been blessed with that cannot be taught.  He can block that ball.  He is a weapon very few teams have the luxury of having.   He is still learning the game..

Agree, but if he devoted as much energy to rebounding as he does to trying to block shots we'd be a better team. That said, he's been much more aggressive in that regard this year. It's hard to believe that anyone's complaining about his play 3 games into his SO year. Even I only complain about his dopey grin and I complain about everything.

boo3

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 03:23:01 PM »

Agree, but if he devoted as much energy to rebounding as he does to trying to block shots we'd be a better team. That said, he's been much more aggressive in that regard this year. It's hard to believe that anyone's complaining about his play 3 games into his SO year. Even I only complain about his dopey grin and I complain about everything.

I think he has improved his rebounding this year already, especially compared to last season.  Wagner he rebounded well and showed a lot of heart and hustle by getting on the ground on loose balls.    Sky is the limit for him..

desco80

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 03:32:26 PM »
I think his positioning for rebounding is only slightly better.   But he looks about 20lbs bigger this year, and I don't see him being knocked off-balance as easily (on both the offensive and defensive ends).    I think that's helping him come down with more boards, and establish better position in the low post on offense.   Now, whether he can do anything if we actually feed him the ball, that's a different story.
But I agree, there's not much to complain about his play so far.   

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:59 PM »
Got a slightly unrelated question for any talent evaluators out there: How does CO compare with a guy like Hasheem Thabeet? Granted Thabeet is much taller, but my memory of him is as a shot blocker with limited offensive capabilities. Thabeet only played 2 seasons in college, but their stats for their freshman year are pretty similar, and I was just wondering if Obekpa looks like he will have a somewhat similar career.

I do think Thabeet was really hurt by going to the NBA early and not having the ability to refine his offensive game, hopefully a mistake CO doesn't make.

paultzman

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
@StJohnsBBall: @JonRothstein with some @obekpa12 love in his Thanksgiving edition of @EyeOnCBB: http://t.co/TkaLSzgfI0 #SJUBB

Three big men who deserve more attention
1. Chris Obekpa, St. John's

Obekpa is a joke. Far and away the best shot blocker in college basketball, the sophomore is averaging a ridiculous 5.3 blocks per game and has swatted 22 shots in the Red Storm's last three contests. Think another Theo Ratliff.