Jordan Suspension

• 123 replies

paultzman

Jordan Suspension
« on: November 23, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
At the moment, Rysheed Jordan isn’t a member of the St. John’s basketball team.

The prized freshman point guard from Philadelphia was suspended for violating team rules Friday night, missing the Red Storm’s 64-54 victory over Monmouth. Head coach Steve Lavin declined to say when he will be back — or if Jordan will return at all.
Jordan, the highest-rated recruit of the Lavin era, wasn’t on the bench with his teammates against Monmouth and didn’t practice with the team on Thursday, though Lavin wouldn’t say whether that was part of the suspension or the result of it.

“He knows there are certain responsibilities,” the coach said.
Lavin also told reporters not to read into Jordan’s absence at the game. When he previously has suspended players — center Chris Obekpa during the preseason and guard D’Angelo Harrison at the end of last year — they haven’t been on the bench either. It is believed Jordan hasn’t left campus, said Lavin, who thinks Jordan “absolutely” will be part of the program moving forward, whether that is Tuesday’s game against Longwood or down the road.

Vague throughout his lengthy postgame press conference and careful with his words, Lavin repeatedly and in a variety of ways said Jordan “can join the team if he takes care of his team responsibilities.” Lavin said he made a decision shortly after getting to Carnesecca Arena late Friday afternoon and meeting with his staff.

The gifted and lightning-quick 6-foot-4 Jordan struggled in his first three games, averaging 4.3 points and 2.3 assists in 18.3 minutes and seeing little action in the second half of the previous two games. Lavin said there were no problems with Jordan related to playing time or his behavior during the games.

“If he takes care of business, he’ll be on the team,” Lavin said. “If he doesn’t, he wont. … It’s a basic responsibility that our team members must adhere to, and if they take care of that aspect, they’re allowed to participate as student-athletes and if they don’t, they won’t. It’s real basic.”

http://nypost.com/2013/11/23/red-storm-suspend-prized-freshman-jordan-indefinitely/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:02:26 AM by paultzman »

Re: Jordan Suspension
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
people have to remember these are 17-18 year old kids and most are away from home for the first time. My daughter this year had a tough time adjusting to life away the first semester. Might be falling behind with school work who knows. Im sure he'll be fine.

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:07 AM »
At the moment, Rysheed Jordan isn’t a member of the St. John’s basketball team.

The prized freshman point guard from Philadelphia was suspended for violating team rules Friday night, missing the Red Storm’s 64-54 victory over Monmouth. Head coach Steve Lavin declined to say when he will be back — or if Jordan will return at all.
Jordan, the highest-rated recruit of the Lavin era, wasn’t on the bench with his teammates against Monmouth and didn’t practice with the team on Thursday, though Lavin wouldn’t say whether that was part of the suspension or the result of it.

“He knows there are certain responsibilities,” the coach said.
Lavin also told reporters not to read into Jordan’s absence at the game. When he previously has suspended players — center Chris Obekpa during the preseason and guard D’Angelo Harrison at the end of last year — they haven’t been on the bench either. It is believed Jordan hasn’t left campus, said Lavin, who thinks Jordan “absolutely” will be part of the program moving forward, whether that is Tuesday’s game against Longwood or down the road.

Vague throughout his lengthy postgame press conference and careful with his words, Lavin repeatedly and in a variety of ways said Jordan “can join the team if he takes care of his team responsibilities.” Lavin said he made a decision shortly after getting to Carnesecca Arena late Friday afternoon and meeting with his staff.

The gifted and lightning-quick 6-foot-4 Jordan struggled in his first three games, averaging 4.3 points and 2.3 assists in 18.3 minutes and seeing little action in the second half of the previous two games. Lavin said there were no problems with Jordan related to playing time or his behavior during the games.

“If he takes care of business, he’ll be on the team,” Lavin said. “If he doesn’t, he wont. … It’s a basic responsibility that our team members must adhere to, and if they take care of that aspect, they’re allowed to participate as student-athletes and if they don’t, they won’t. It’s real basic.”

http://nypost.com/2013/11/23/red-storm-suspend-prized-freshman-jordan-indefinitely/
I'll guess first since I know nothing - one needs to show up to class regularly?

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
people have to remember these are 17-18 year old kids and most are away from home for the first time. My daughter this year had a tough time adjusting to life away the first semester. Might be falling behind with school work who knows. Im sure he'll be fine.
that's good - we both guessed the same thing.  Happens quite a bit with many students as you said.

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 02:21:15 PM »
Anyone hear anything more about this?

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »
If anyone here has ever seen Rysheed's twitter or instagram accounts, this isn't exactly unexpected. Hopefully it's just falling behind at school and not something more serious. Unfortunately the kid actually needs to be in these games, especially with Branch's efforts of late.

SJUFAN

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 07:15:32 PM »
If anyone here has ever seen Rysheed's twitter or instagram accounts, this isn't exactly unexpected. Hopefully it's just falling behind at school and not something more serious. Unfortunately the kid actually needs to be in these games, especially with Branch's efforts of late.

Could you elaborate for those who haven't seen his accounts? Hopefully, Rysheed is a high character individual and will learn and grow from this. He has to follow the same rules as everyone else. I know he's frustrated at his own performance but he isn't immune to being pulled if he's not playing well. He's a freshman and starting, under Louie, he wouldn't even be playing. Be patient young man, you will get yours. 

paultzman

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 07:23:48 PM »

Could you elaborate for those who haven't seen his accounts? Hopefully, Rysheed is a high character individual and will learn and grow from this. He has to follow the same rules as everyone else. I know he's frustrated at his own performance but he isn't immune to being pulled if he's not playing well. He's a freshman and starting, under Louie, he wouldn't even be playing. Be patient young man, you will get yours. 

Different world.

paultzman

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »
Hopefully this can be resolved quickly.

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
Paltz please, this will never be resolved; It will come again disguised under a new topic and the folk will line up again and continue with out rhyme or reason
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 07:54:36 PM by 96 Schermerhorn Street »

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 07:54:35 PM »
Paltz please, this will never be resolved; It come disguised under a new topic and the folk will line up again and continue with out rhyme or reason
??

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 08:26:15 PM »
Rumors are that he isn't  in queens.  Likely transfer

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 11:11:26 PM »

Dude, he's not gonna transfer. Lots of people thought him a one and done. You think he's gonna sit out for a whole year and then hope he gets right back on track for someone to draft him? Unless it's very very serious, I can't see this happening

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
Zach from NY post responding to question regarding news on Jordan:

@NYPost_Brazille: @rcava not good and I will

LJSA

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 12:02:41 AM »

Dude, he's not gonna transfer. Lots of people thought him a one and done. You think he's gonna sit out for a whole year and then hope he gets right back on track for someone to draft him? Unless it's very very serious, I can't see this happening

He wouldn't be the first athlete make a stupid transfer decision and he won't be the last.

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »
Being better off than we were under Norm should not be considered an accomplishment. For me personally, if Jordan transfers and we don't make the tourney I'd fire Lavin. Won't happen and probably not even the right choice, but it is what I'd do. Then I'd hire a sound basketball coach (McKillop) who recruits kids that fit his style of play. Again I am not saying this SHOULD be done. But it is what I would do.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:50:00 AM by we are sju »

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »
Zach from NY post responding to question regarding news on Jordan:

@NYPost_Brazille: @rcava not good and I will

I spoke w Zach yesterday evening  & he suggested that,although Rysheed was home, not to draw any conclusions. Let's remain positive.

paultzman

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2013, 09:22:26 AM »
Being better off than we were under Norm should not be considered an accomplishment. For me personally, if Jordan transfers and we don't make the tourney I'd fire Lavin. Won't happen and probably not even the right choice, but it is what I'd do. Then I'd hire a sound basketball coach (McKillop) who recruits kids that fit his style of play. Again I am not saying this SHOULD be done. But it is what I would do.

Surprised you didn't predict Jordan transferring to Baylor ala your Harrison take.  :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:22:55 AM by paultzman »

hnk

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »
Maybe, Rysheed went home and that's why he's suspended....until hopefully he comes back and then he won't be suspended....maybe, coach Chiles should drive down to Phillie....NCAA's here we come.