Phil Greene

• 17 replies

paultzman

Phil Greene
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:45:09 PM »
As historical critic of Phil, I would be remiss not to share this. Early, but impressive;

@StJohnsBBall: PGIV's numbers: 19.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.0 steals, .667 FGs, 4-of-8 3FGs, 2-of-2 FTs during a 2-0 week. Zero turnovers in 13-14. #SJUBB

boo3

Re: Phil Greene
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
 Saw those stats... pretty much impeccable.  Great job by Phil.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 03:04:16 PM »
He's played phenomenal. The best thing he did last gam was rebound. Would love to see some assists sprinkled in however.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 03:36:18 PM »
He's played phenomenal. The best thing he did last gam was rebound. Would love to see some assists sprinkled in however.

the best thing he did was score when we couldn't throw it in the ocean.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:07:30 PM »
It would really be great for us, and for Lavs if Greene breaks out and keeps this up all season long. Great teams have more than just 2 great guards. If he can keep scoring like this, he has to stay in the line up, and he has to play minutes.

Barclays will tell us plenty. No mid-majors or low majors this weekend.

CC

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
Seems like the Friday game isn't on Tv, just checked the PLUM discount still works for tickets.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 05:12:34 PM »
@rumbleSBN: Phil Greene IV named to Big East weekly honor roll. #sjubb http://t.co/B1ORiohZEG

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 06:28:50 PM »
I've been one of the biggest Greene critics (although I do acknowledge his strong points and saw potential)...but he's been GREAT the last two games. Wish he would have got more time vs. Wisconsin with the way he's looked.

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
Has played very well last 2 games...Guardedly optimistic as he has had these sort of spurts in his 1st two years and then falls in love with his jump shot...in any case, seems a hard worker and good team player so good for him...

just don't want Lavin to fall in love with him as a PG...don't think we can win consistently with him and DLo dominating the shots

ras

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:31 PM »
He's been playing well. How has he been doing in the assist dept.?

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
According to KenPom, Phil currently has the best offensive rating in the conference... meaning he has been productive and efficient all around.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:13:54 PM »
According to KenPom, Phil currently has the best offensive rating in the conference... meaning he has been productive and efficient all around.

I don't expect that to hold up unless the play around him improves.  Right now is there anyone you want taking the shot down one or two more than Greene? You know he will at least get off an open look--he does that at will. Harrison can't separate as well as Greene can. 

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »

I don't expect that to hold up unless the play around him improves.  Right now is there anyone you want taking the shot down one or two more than Greene? You know he will at least get off an open look--he does that at will. Harrison can't separate as well as Greene can. 
Harrison hit those two threes down the stretch against Monmouth that really iced the game and then Phil hit one too.   DLo said Lav called his number in the huddle, so he's still option #1 right now, but PG IV has looked great.

Tiznow

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 12:02:44 PM »
If Greene's keeps this up he's going to make this team very difficult to beat. 

Is he this good?  No one is going to have 9/12 games playing that position every night.  If this guy brings 5 for 10 and Harrison, Sanchez and Jordon improve their numbers this team's shooting woes are over.  Sampson, CO and Pointer are scoring at their expected clip.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
Serious question (not rhetorical):  is there anyone who expected more from Phil, the last man in a 9 man recruiting class, than he has given us?

I defend Phil in spite of his deficiencies as a distributor.  I don't think any of us had heard of him and I doubt that anyone expected him to get much playing time---let alone make any significant contributions---when Lavin recruited him.  Now we kill the kid on a daily basis for being a good, not great, player.

DFF6

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
Serious question (not rhetorical):  is there anyone who expected more from Phil, the last man in a 9 man recruiting class, than he has given us?

I defend Phil in spite of his deficiencies as a distributor.  I don't think any of us had heard of him and I doubt that anyone expected him to get much playing time---let alone make any significant contributions---when Lavin recruited him.  Now we kill the kid on a daily basis for being a good, not great, player.

Good post!  I think most of the ire vented on these boards against PG4 really is directed at how Lavin has used him, but since we haven't had a true PG until this year,  even that complaint is pretty harsh.  Phil's shooting percentage is also a source of criticism, but since no one else on this team other than D'lo (when he's not in a slump) can shoot the ball well, it's probably not fair to single out Phil. 

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 01:20:48 PM »
Was icing his I assume surgically repaired hip again while on the bench.  I hope it's Ok.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
Was icing his I assume surgically repaired hip again while on the bench.  I hope it's Ok.

Last 3 home games I've noticed that as well.