THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY-LONGWOOD

• 31 replies

Foad

Re: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY-LONGWOOD
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:16:43 AM »
Louie was the last coach to beat the patsies with regularity, in the regular season

IFYPFY

desco80

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
THE GOOD-
It is always fun to beat the Longwood
Harrison did not shoot well but really is far and away our best player
Obepka and the block party. Our offense is tough to watch so at least our defense is fun.
Jordan played and after a shaky start played better. Just playing at all is the good.
Pointer is our 2nd best player should play 2nd most minutes
It is always fun to beat the Longwood

THE BAD-
Greene came back to earth/ You knew it was going to happen. Still he did hold the ball forever or dribble in circles so he gets a Mulligan
Free throw shooting
Bart's friend Millhouse and Dirk Diggler combined for 20 points against us
Is Orlando Sanchez still ineligible?
Random sub patterns were pretty annoying I felt
Sampson had 11 boards but since he likes to shoot so much would be nice if he made a few shots
Branch
Everyone's favorite Honkey played sparingly and bricked only 3

THE UGLY-
3-19 FROM 3
No one not named Harrison successfully made a 3
Worst offense in America
Jordan's jump shot and free throw shooting are still suspended

Didnt think branch played that bad. Im not worried about Jordans shooting just yet, more concerend with his defense, really our whole teams defense. Why can every single guard in america get in the lane against us?

The first 5 minutes of the second half was the best ive seen obekpa play. He had two great blocks, went after every rebound, and was strong with the basketball.

Branch is not a point guard either. He is not terrible but he is not a starting point on a tourney team IMO
Greene is not a point either though he is a better player than Branch
If Jordan doesn't take control I don't know if we can dance

Branch can certainly be the starting pg for a tournament team.   
We need to space the court better and then be able to move the ball and penetrate; branch passes and can get into the lane creating opportunities for everyone else.   I know about the turnovers - but show me a starting point guard who doesn't make 3-4 turnovers a game? 
Hard to find one. 

uwsfan

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:28 AM »
The Good: Obeckpa

The Bad: Everyting else

The ugly truth: If this team plays the next four games the way they played the previous four, a four game losing streak is coming.

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 02:24:15 PM »
The problem is that this is a team that for the entire preseason talked about how theres a chip on their shoulder, and they've barely played like it against anyone. It was very clear last night that the team had no energy at all. No noise from the bench after positive plays and no energy whatsoever. We have also gotten worse since the Bucknell game. I am hoping that it is true that we are just "playing down to our opponent" and to a certain degree in terms of our energy level I can agree with that.

However our offensive identity hasn't been good since the start of the season and our approach is fundamentally flawed. I don't understand why the team didn't choose to practice EITHER DAY this weekend. They had to miss TWO days to attend Keady's HOF induction?? If the ceremony was Sunday night, why couldn't they practice on Saturday?? And don't you have assistant coaches on your staff to run a practice or 2 while the head coach is gone anyway? I don't get it, and I would bet a dollar to a donut that some guys didn't even step foot in that gym to get in extra work during the weekend either.  The only positive I can point to from last night is Rysheed starting to do some good things in the second half.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

desco80

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16:27 PM »
I don't understand why the team didn't choose to practice EITHER DAY this weekend. They had to miss TWO days to attend Keady's HOF induction?? If the ceremony was Sunday night, why couldn't they practice on Saturday?? And don't you have assistant coaches on your staff to run a practice or 2 while the head coach is gone anyway? I don't get it, and I would bet a dollar to a donut that some guys didn't even step foot in that gym to get in extra work during the weekend either.  .

They didn't practice Saturday or Sunday because Keady was being inducted into the HoF?

ras

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
The good; We won and Sheed played , COs blocks..    The Bad;  We didn't look any better than last year and Hooper so far has not shown to be reliable. The ugly; Our 3 pt shooting. And to make matters worse , Teams are daring us to shoot, covering us very loosely and we still miss, and that includes DLO.

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 04:05:21 PM »
The problem is that this is a team that for the entire preseason talked about how theres a chip on their shoulder, and they've barely played like it against anyone. It was very clear last night that the team had no energy at all. No noise from the bench after positive plays and no energy whatsoever. We have also gotten worse since the Bucknell game. I am hoping that it is true that we are just "playing down to our opponent" and to a certain degree in terms of our energy level I can agree with that.

However our offensive identity hasn't been good since the start of the season and our approach is fundamentally flawed. I don't understand why the team didn't choose to practice EITHER DAY this weekend. They had to miss TWO days to attend Keady's HOF induction?? If the ceremony was Sunday night, why couldn't they practice on Saturday?? And don't you have assistant coaches on your staff to run a practice or 2 while the head coach is gone anyway? I don't get it, and I would bet a dollar to a donut that some guys didn't even step foot in that gym to get in extra work during the weekend either.  The only positive I can point to from last night is Rysheed starting to do some good things in the second half.

I can agree on energy aspect but I'd prefer that surge to come in stride during conference play. No need to peak too early. They are getting the W's that they need right now. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

MCNPA

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:48 PM »
Agree with Dave... As long as we are getting the wins we should now. I think the fan base this early in the season, feels like we will never get it together.  I agree it is worrisome that we haven't looked better, but I think we will get to points where tags come together more than they do now.  It's super early and we have still taken care of the opponents that we should have, which is important.  Some reasonably tough games lie ahead this weekend.  Need to take care of those. 

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 04:15:57 PM »
I don't understand why the team didn't choose to practice EITHER DAY this weekend. They had to miss TWO days to attend Keady's HOF induction?? If the ceremony was Sunday night, why couldn't they practice on Saturday?? And don't you have assistant coaches on your staff to run a practice or 2 while the head coach is gone anyway? I don't get it, and I would bet a dollar to a donut that some guys didn't even step foot in that gym to get in extra work during the weekend either.  .

They didn't practice Saturday or Sunday because Keady was being inducted into the HoF?

Have no information, but just thinking out loud.

Could it be that Lavin gave them a few days off due to playing all this week, serving thanksgiving, and the games as a psuedo "thanksgiving break".

I'm assuming they didn't have class this week.

TONYD3

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »
Think pointer needs to start. He brings plenty of energy. I like that we have many good players but think Harrison Sampson and pointer need to be on the court as much as possible. Think Marco and hooper sit.

Foad

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »

Have no information, but just thinking out loud.

Could it be that Lavin gave them a few days off due to playing all this week, serving thanksgiving, and the games as a psuedo "thanksgiving break".

I'm assuming they didn't have class this week.

They did have class.