Georgia Tech - Game Discussion

• 158 replies

desco80

Re: Georgia Tech - Game Discussion
« Reply #120 on: November 30, 2013, 04:44:47 PM »
Didn't think we could turn this one around. GT is not very good, but still nice to recover. Just have to eliminate these first half blues. Will kill us in BE play! Kudos to Karr for responding after poor first half.

Imagine if we learned to play 40 minutes.
Hell even 35.

I would take 30 strong minutes at this point.   

I was against it at first, but the press certainly helped.   It should become a staple of our game plan.   

hnk

« Reply #121 on: November 30, 2013, 04:49:53 PM »
‏@StJohnsBBall 2m
First-Time #SJUBB Lineup: G Greene IV, G Harrison, G Hooper, F Sampson, C Obekpa.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I think that is mistake #1.   Harrison and Greene shouldn't play together .   Need a real pg on the floor . 

Went without a PG for most of the 2nd half last night including when we went on the run and tied it up after being down 15

We went on the run because Frazier picked up his 4th foul and went to the bench.   If branch plays we would've won.   Phil and Dangelo weren't getting anyone good looks.   They each made some big shots in isolation, but it should never have come to that. 
Agree completely...we foul him out we win the game

« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2013, 05:06:45 PM »
Well we can all get off the ledge...LOL!!!

Picking up the tempo was a great move.

Slow starts AGAIN.  Seriously I am done trying to analyze it.  I mean SJU should literally just spot their opponent 7 points before tip.  This has to change.

You can see the athleticism that this team is capable of.  You can see Sheed Jordan become more involved.  Taking it to the hoop.  That nice baseball pass to Branch at the end.

Obekpa is unbelievable.  I sit there and watch and see a kid for the opposing team go to the rim and see Obekpa out of the corner of my eye and say that is getting blocked...

BTW-Brian Gregory is a good coach.  I think he will win at Georgia Tech and perhaps even this year they will get it going.  But just shows you how rebuilding jobs are not that easy even for solid hires like Gregory who is in his 3rd year. 

« Reply #123 on: November 30, 2013, 05:13:00 PM »
Obekpa has the best shot blocking instincts of anyone I've ever seen.

Moose

« Reply #124 on: November 30, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
Well we can all get off the ledge...LOL!!!

Picking up the tempo was a great move.

Slow starts AGAIN.  Seriously I am done trying to analyze it.  I mean SJU should literally just spot their opponent 7 points before tip.  This has to change.

You can see the athleticism that this team is capable of.  You can see Sheed Jordan become more involved.  Taking it to the hoop.  That nice baseball pass to Branch at the end.

Obekpa is unbelievable.  I sit there and watch and see a kid for the opposing team go to the rim and see Obekpa out of the corner of my eye and say that is getting blocked...

BTW-Brian Gregory is a good coach.  I think he will win at Georgia Tech and perhaps even this year they will get it going.  But just shows you how rebuilding jobs are not that easy even for solid hires like Gregory who is in his 3rd year. 

The fact that this team spots the other an entire first half is alarming.

Bottom line is we are a game behind where we should be.  Either you pick off a non conference game you shouldn't be winning (Cuse) or you take care of your business and go into the BE at 9-3.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #125 on: November 30, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
Side note, not sure if this has been brought up, but Georgia Tech reminds me of Paul Hewitt. Interesting to think where our team would be if Hewitt was hired instead of Lavin four years ago. Food for thought.

« Reply #126 on: November 30, 2013, 06:14:45 PM »
Side note, not sure if this has been brought up, but Georgia Tech reminds me of Paul Hewitt. Interesting to think where our team would be if Hewitt was hired instead of Lavin four years ago. Food for thought.
Hewitt would have been recruiting pretty well, but needed help on the bench as having watched about 5 games in person vs. Terps, I never saw much x and o's prowess from Hewitt.  After watching what he did w/ Mason these past couple of years, I am not moved to think otherwise.  It's tough to figure out how well Hewitt would have recruited in NYC.  He had a few successful "plucks" down to Tech.   

Chilleb

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2013, 06:17:45 PM »
This just makes the penn state loss hurt so much more

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2013, 06:27:36 PM »
Jamal deserved much more than the 16 minutes he got. I know I saw him get shaken up a little bit in the first but he was our best guard while he was out there. His only  blunder was that fast break where he got tangled up with himself. You could see he was gonna give it to harrison in the corner for a wide open three.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

redslope

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2013, 06:59:08 PM »
what a difference a day makes.  Other than disappointment with Paco, the rest of the team played well.  As far as I can remember, it has been a long time since we spread the minutes this much.  We were definitely the fresher team down the stretch.  Dangelo had most minutes at 30 and that is what I would like to see throughout the year.  We will grind teams down as we had our usual 40+ after half time if we can keep it close at the half.  The legs were surprisingly fresh after last night's OT (basically 17 hours between games).  Saw improvement in the defense today as there was good help; also encouraged on 3PT defense as when players move out they are no longer leaving their feet.  Branch had his best game on the defensive side taday

Crowd (if you could call it that) was major disappointment.  I guess playing in "tournament" with 3 FB schools shows where their fans are not and what is the sport of choice at them.

Funniest moments came with Sir's great energy to save balls from going out of bounds twice.  The ref was taken into the stands both times.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #130 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00:27 PM »
Free throws were much better too. Hopefully Penn state will be wake up call. If we can take care of Fordham an beat cuse we will be in a good position...that is a tall order now.
Cougar O' Malley

Moose

« Reply #131 on: November 30, 2013, 07:01:08 PM »
what a difference a day makes.  Other than disappointment with Paco, the rest of the team played well.  As far as I can remember, it has been a long time since we spread the minutes this much.  We were definitely the fresher team down the stretch.  Dangelo had most minutes at 30 and that is what I would like to see throughout the year.  We will grind teams down as we had our usual 40+ after half time if we can keep it close at the half.  The legs were surprisingly fresh after last night's OT (basically 17 hours between games).  Saw improvement in the defense today as there was good help; also encouraged on 3PT defense as when players move out they are no longer leaving their feet.  Branch had his best game on the defensive side taday

Crowd (if you could call it that) was major disappointment.  I guess playing in "tournament" with 3 FB schools shows where their fans are not and what is the sport of choice at them.

Funniest moments came with Sir's great energy to save balls from going out of bounds twice.  The ref was taken into the stands both times.

Ummmm who is Paco?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2013, 08:30:23 PM »
Hoping the second half was one of those turning point moments

SJUFAN

« Reply #133 on: November 30, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »

I was thinking that Georgia Tech reminds me of where our team would be without Lavin. Say what you want about Hewitt, he brought talent there.

redslope

« Reply #134 on: November 30, 2013, 10:04:41 PM »

Ummmm who is Paco?
Sanchez

MCNPA

« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2013, 10:28:27 PM »
Agree with Moose wholeheartedly on this one.  If we want to have a reasonably good résumé, we need to at worst, win the rest of our OOC matchups besides Cuse.  Beating Cuse and winning out would be optimal, but not likely considering out inconsistency.  I think 9-3 with a loss to Cuse is most likely at this point.  It's not where I wanted us to be, without any signature OOC wins, but we still have a chance to do even better.

Poison

« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:19 PM »
Agree with Moose wholeheartedly on this one.  If we want to have a reasonably good résumé, we need to at worst, win the rest of our OOC matchups besides Cuse.  Beating Cuse and winning out would be optimal, but not likely considering out inconsistency.  I think 9-3 with a loss to Cuse is most likely at this point.  It's not where I wanted us to be, without any signature OOC wins, but we still have a chance to do even better.

If we go 9-3, we'll be on pace for an nit bid. This season is put up or shut up time. I'm sick of never being ready for the season to begin. Every time Lavin says that Jan/Feb we could be really good, it makes me wonder what the hell we're doing up until then? Why the hell aren't we good now? We're experienced, deep and talented, and leaves one answer: the coaching.

MCNPA

« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2013, 10:44:19 PM »

If we go 9-3, we'll be on pace for an nit bid. This season is put up or shut up time. I'm sick of never being ready for the season to begin. Every time Lavin says that Jan/Feb we could be really good, it makes me wonder what the hell we're doing up until then? Why the hell aren't we good now? We're experienced, deep and talented, and leaves one answer: the coaching.

That's not true.  Our bread and butter will still be our conference play.  We enter conference play with a 9-3 OOC record, with losses to two top 10 programs and an OT loss to PSU, the is solid even if unspectacular.  The conference slate is by far the most important factor.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather enter league play with a signature win over Cuse and 10-2 record, but that's a tough haul.  Cuse improving rapidly as well. 

Need to hold serve at minimum with 9-3 and enter Big East slate playing good basketball.  Our league is winnable.  That's when there will be no excuse time. 

Poison

« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2013, 10:54:57 PM »

That's not true.  Our bread and butter will still be our conference play.  We enter conference play with a 9-3 OOC record, with losses to two top 10 programs and an OT loss to PSU, the is solid even if unspectacular.  The conference slate is by far the most important factor.  Don't get me wrong, I'd rather enter league play with a signature win over Cuse and 10-2 record, but that's a tough haul.  Cuse improving rapidly as well. 

Need to hold serve at minimum with 9-3 and enter Big East slate playing good basketball.  Our league is winnable.  That's when there will be no excuse time. 

Our conference might only present 2/3 opportunities over ranked opponents this year. If we win 10/11 conference games, we're on the bubble. And that's unacceptable.

MCNPA

« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:22 PM »

Our conference might only present 2/3 opportunities over ranked opponents this year. If we win 10/11 conference games, we're on the bubble. And that's unacceptable.

Which is why we can't win only 10 conference games.  Conference play is still where almost all team's earn their NCAA seats.  The bubble teams sweat it out because they weren't good enough in conference play.  If we are on the bubble, two losses to top 10 teams like Wisconsin and Cuse aren't going to kill us.  We have to avoid low RPI losses at all costs though, so can't afford slip ups vs trap teams like Fordham etc.