Preseason NIT

• 12 replies
Preseason NIT
« on: May 07, 2008, 11:21:17 AM »
The four regional hosts for the Preseason NIT are: Purdue, Oklahoma, Arizona and Boston College.

Purdue site – Georgia, Loyola (Ill.), Eastern Michigan
Arizona site – Santa Clara, Drake and a likely WAC team
Oklahoma site – Davidson, James Madison and one more team
BC site – St. John’s, Cornell and Loyola (Md.)

kjd01067

Re: Preseason NIT
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:35:06 AM »
Hey we might be able to win our bracket...

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:38:33 AM »
This will be a great opportunity to get off to a fast start and get two early games at MSG.

It will generate some great excitement to get a win at MSG against a top flight team. Getting to MSG is a must or Norm is going to be fighting a up hill battle all year with the fans.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »
Cornell is pretty good if our defense is undisciplined as last season we'll struggle mightily
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:01:02 PM »
Wow, very strong field this year.

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 01:52:17 PM »
the tournament is now called the NIT Season Tip-Off.

There is definitely higher quality second tier teams.  Also if we don't make it to MSG we will play 2 additional games anyway...possibly at home.

"Beginning in 2008, the remaining 12 teams will play third- and fourth-round NIT Season Tip-Off games during Thanksgiving week. The games will be played on three home campus sites that will be determined by a seeding process. Participating teams will not play any team twice and third- and fourth-rounds will be assigned to the most geographically compatible site as possible."

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_events/press_room/2007/october/20071022_nit_seasontipoff_rls.html
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:15:39 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
how good is boston college supposed to be next year?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:43:29 PM »
They have zero inside punch but they are returning Rice who will lead the ACC in scoring if Tyler does not

They lost their rugged PF in Shamari Spears which will hurt them a lot on the boards & on the Defensive end

But they have  2 good SO. who are going to have break out season in Rakim Sanders & Corey Raji

In addition to that they are gain an Offensive power forward from Vermont Joe Trapani in a transfer

So we will have to bring our A game to score with them because no way we can stop them on offense
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 09:03:07 AM »

VERY strong field..     do you really think so..?

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 11:36:22 AM »

VERY strong field..     do you really think so..?

I would love to see your reaction if he said very very strong field. The season is a ways away and the beauty of college basketball is anyone can be a strong team on any year and even on any given day. We all dimissed Miami last season and  I'd think it would be say to say they were a very strong team last season likewise for Va Tech.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 12:29:11 PM »
how good is boston college supposed to be next year?
They had very little inside presence this past season and lost three big men (including their two best rebounders).
Al Skinner's team finished dead last in the ACC this past season.
If Hickson doesn't return, he should be able to finish ahead of NC State next season.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 01:14:49 AM »
I'm a little sad that we aren't worthy of a regional anymore. I hate being a downer, but it's impossible not to be with what has happened to our once-proud program. I would have rather not gone than to be embarassed with going to another school to be honest...

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »
I'm a little sad that we aren't worthy of a regional anymore. I hate being a downer, but it's impossible not to be with what has happened to our once-proud program. I would have rather not gone than to be embarassed with going to another school to be honest...

A regional will have to be earned. STJ needs opportunities like this to show what they are made of. The program has been down but Norm better have the team ready to compete or he is gone. The contract roll-over contains a buyout which can be exercised. It doesn't mean Norm has time to play around. If the Team does not respond then Norm is gone but you need a chance to showcase the program and challenge the players. Once proud programs can earn respect by going out and competing hard everytime they step on the court.