Lavin's Contract

• 162 replies

ras

Re: Lavin's Contract
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2014, 11:03:55 AM »
I don't think he should be fired. B ut his staff should be made up of coaches who compliment him . He needs a superb XO guy. Dunlap was ideal. Lavin has to learn from his mistakes and work on his coaching skills also. Maybe he should read these boards LOL.

boo3

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:06 AM »
 Stop with the "fired" talk.. It isn't happening.. no way , no how.  Only way he leaves is if he decides to or a contract issue.  St. John's, if anything, is patient when it comes to basketball.  Not a priority.

He will be allowed the opportunity to make this right and work it out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:16:36 AM by boo3 »

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:02 AM »
When Stanford lets JD for not making the tourney, hopefully Lavs wises up and hires O'Toole to teach these guys the zone.

Moose

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »
When Stanford lets JD for not making the tourney, hopefully Lavs wises up and hires O'Toole to teach these guys the zone.

What?
Remember who broke the Slice news

jr49

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:11 PM »
I don't think he should be fired. B ut his staff should be made up of coaches who compliment him . He needs a superb XO guy. Dunlap was ideal. Lavin has to learn from his mistakes and work on his coaching skills also. Maybe he should read these boards LOL.
Dunlap might have been ideal, but it did not stop the board from ripping him. He had 6 players so he tried to shorten the game by running clock. Many times the possession ended with Phil hoisting it up with a few seconds left on the shot clock. Dunlap and Phil both took heat. There were even some who blamed Dunlap for guys who left the team. Johnnie fans have been through a long period of rough times. If this board is prone to grip when things not going well, thats easy to understand. More then likely Dunlap going to be more highly spoken of in absence then if he were here.  Well maybe not if Coach Steve were present to take the blame.

Moose

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »
Dunlap might have been ideal, but it did not stop the board from ripping him. He had 6 players so he tried to shorten the game by running clock. Many times the possession ended with Phil hoisting it up with a few seconds left on the shot clock. Dunlap and Phil both took heat. There were even some who blamed Dunlap for guys who left the team. Johnnie fans have been through a long period of rough times. If this board is prone to grip when things not going well, thats easy to understand. More then likely Dunlap going to be more highly spoken of in absence then if he were here.  Well maybe not if Coach Steve were present to take the blame.

1. Yes fans blamed Dunlap.  Fans will blame anyone regardless of what they might win.
2. Fans blamed Dunlap for Nuri because Nuri blatantly said it was the reason he left.

TONYD3

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2014, 12:44:23 PM »
dunlap is a great coach, but we have 4 coaches making amore then 2 million dollars a year to coach the team as well as keady. Not expecting a bobby knight coached team but it has to be better then this

« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »

What?

Dawkins will be out at Stanford if they do not make the tourney common knowledge.

Moose

« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2014, 01:38:01 PM »

What?

Dawkins will be out at Stanford if they do not make the tourney common knowledge.

So you think Lavin to Stanford?
I'd love to see him recruit for that place.............

Moose

« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2014, 01:42:42 PM »
By the way Dawkins is an interesting name.  First of all can't believe hes been there 6 yrs.

First year 20-14 (CBI Semis)
2nd year 14-18
3rd year 15-16
4th year 26-11 (NIT Champs)
5th year 18-14
So far 6th year 8-2

He was signed to a 4 or 5 year deal based on articles and a good 4th year bought him him maybe more time when meanwhile it was covering up the issue that things were so right.  4 years to me is a fair point for decisions to be made.

« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »

So you think Lavin to Stanford?
I'd love to see him recruit for that place.............
[/quote]

I was thinking O'Toole as an assistant here next year

Moose

« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:26 PM »

I was thinking O'Toole as an assistant here next year

My bad.  I didn't know he left Cuse.

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »
He had the zone working against uconn. He wanted a job on the staff when Lavin hired Martin.

jr49

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

1. Yes fans blamed Dunlap.  Fans will blame anyone regardless of what they might win.
2. Fans blamed Dunlap for Nuri because Nuri blatantly said it was the reason he left.
#2  even less of a reason to blame Mike. If there was a #3 it would be because Nuri was not the player he thought he was.

paultzman

« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2014, 07:21:27 PM »
"Let me first explain our lineup against Georgetown"  ;) Btw, MJMaher lookalike two spots to Lav's left?

@StJohnsBBall: @SJUCoachLavin meets with a number of #SJUBB's IMG Corporate partners at @stoutbarnyc on Wednesday after practice. http://t.co/UMRqadY26y
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:23:41 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2014, 10:03:08 PM »
"Let me first explain our lineup against Georgetown"  ;) Btw, MJMaher lookalike two spots to Lav's left?

@StJohnsBBall: @SJUCoachLavin meets with a number of #SJUBB's IMG Corporate partners at @stoutbarnyc on Wednesday after practice. http://t.co/UMRqadY26y
I was eating Tapas at Plancha :)

« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2014, 10:46:25 PM »
"Let me first explain our lineup against Georgetown" 

Was Igor's fault gave him Abby Normal's brain
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:46:41 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »
When Norm was here people were talking about where can you be bad at your job and still make $$$.  Now Lavin is here and the results have been terrible with so called better talent.  There is no way he is fired after this season, so expect more of the same results  next season.

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2014, 01:14:35 AM »
When Norm was here people were talking about where can you be bad at your job and still make $$$.  Now Lavin is here and the results have been terrible with so called better talent.  There is no way he is fired after this season, so expect more of the same results  next season.
Notre Dame never fired a football coach, then they fired that HS coach Gerry Faust after 5 yrs, then they said ND would never fire a coach until they gave him at least five yrs and they fired the Stanford coach they hired after 3 yrs. Not comparing us to ND football just showing things change. Will probably give him one more year.

ForeverYoung

• king and the pawn end up in the same box
« Reply #99 on: March 08, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
There is few things you guys should know
-The AD did NOT hire Lavin.  He was informed about Lavin getting hired.  Our AD was/is useless.
-Lavin was offered extension in 2013.  Deal was put on hold until the end this season.  In my opinion Lavin really believed/believes in the team he has and wants bigger bucks.  We shall see how this one works out.
-Lavin was never offered the USC job.  He would of not left SJU anyways.
- 1 or 2 top 50 players will be committing to our program in the near future.
-If Lavin leaves/is fired our program will go back to the gutter.  Unless SJU brings in huge name that will cost 3m+.    He might not be a good coach but his recruiting is superior.  Without him we will not have Harrison's/Obekpas

I understand the frustration but give the man some breathing room.  We can all concur that it's bad but,  its still early.

up next-- 1 or 2 top 50 players will be committing to our program in the near future.