Villanova Discussion

• 256 replies

hnk

Villanova Discussion
« on: January 04, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
Ok, let's regroup, get ready for and beat Villie?  How do we stop Pinkston?  Who starts?  What's our basic defense?  The view will look a lot different if we can grab a win.  is there anyone who thinks that's possible except for me?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:43:12 PM by Dave »

Re: Villie
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
Right now this team is a mess and it starts with the hc.  There has been zero iq displayed in the 3 yrs with Lavin's guys and this yr seems to be the worst basketball they have played just based on the fact that this team has talent and is older. With that being said a win is not out off the possibility because the hardest thing to do is win on the road no matter how good one team is playing and the other is not. 

It happens so much in sports, a team gets destroyed on road and comes back home and steals a win.  If this team has any dignity, they come back and not only play hard but win... This game is a must win and Sju knows it.  Lavin needs to man up, and forget the shenanigans and coach the game of his brief Sju career, because winning against nova eases all negativity for at least one game, and then get back to basics against weaker teams in conference to build not only confidence but more importantly W's.

Re: Villie
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »
Ville where did you dig that one up?   Was it the same pile progress came from?

Re: Villanova Discussion
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:43:59 PM »
Ville where did you dig that one up?   Was it the same pile progress came from?

Not sure either. Thought it was about Louisville. I changed the name to "Villanova Discussion"
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »
Thanks Dave.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 11:53:35 PM »
Ok, let's regroup, get ready for and beat Villie?  How do we stop Pinkston?  Who starts?  What's our basic defense?  The view will look a lot different if we can grab a win.  is there anyone who thinks that's possible except for me?

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I actually think that this team has enough talent to come back strong and beat Nova.  Of course that is all predicated on who, and for how long, Lavin puts certain players out on the court and if the players themselves do some soul searching and come out with a vengeance and of course a game plan ( uh oh) As UCLA fans suggested ( and I am starting to believe them now despite some ardent Lavin supporters) Lavin will lose many games he shouldn't and surprise with a rare win against a team he shouldn't beat. While the odds are stacked against us and I would never put money on it, there is always a chance. 

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:49:46 AM »
My Prediction for the Nova game:
Lavin rips the redshirt off of Lipscomb and matches him up with Aricidiacono
Lavin rips the redshirt off of Christian Jones and matches him up with Pinkston
Also starts Ray Morgan, N'diaye, and Balamou
All these moves work like a charm and St. John"s suffers a 40 blowout loss to the Wildcats
Lavin's post game comment "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED'!
 :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
huge chance to kick start the season. Id call it a must win.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:30:35 AM »
My Prediction for the Nova game:
Lavin rips the redshirt off of Lipscomb and matches him up with Aricidiacono
Lavin rips the redshirt off of Christian Jones and matches him up with Pinkston
Also starts Ray Morgan, N'diaye, and Balamou
All these moves work like a charm and St. John"s suffers a 40 blowout loss to the Wildcats
Lavin's post game comment "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED'!
 :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2: :idiot2:
Oh and the next time we have a game on a Sunday which is Feb. 9 vs Creighton, Lavin will rip the redshirt off of Tiger Woods and insert him into the starting line-up!  :idiot2:

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Despite the fact that I am embarrassed by the coaching staff and players right now, I'm trying my best to get off the negative bandwagon and focus on beating Villanova next weekend.  If the team is able to regroup and beat the Wildcats, they could go on a nice little run here.  @ DePaul, Providence, Dartmouth, and Seton Hall are coming up after them.  Realistically speaking, you could be talking 4-2 in conference play if they win Saturday.

Just hoping Lavin doesn't sabotage our chances again.

hnk

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 08:50:38 PM »
Nova up by about 30 against Providence

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
We'll I just figured out how to interpret the quote by Lavin that" things could get worse before they get better"

We play Nova next ( that could be the things getting worse part), and then we play DePaul, Providence, Dartmouth and Seton Hall (that would be the things getting better part).

Let's hope he is wrong about the first part and right about the latter part.  ;D

derk

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 04:21:40 PM »
We'll I just figured out how to interpret the quote by Lavin that" things could get worse before they get better"

We play Nova next ( that could be the things getting worse part), and then we play DePaul, Providence, Dartmouth and Seton Hall (that would be the things getting better part).

Let's hope he is wrong about the first part and right about the latter part.  ;D

Right now the only team that can make us better is our own team playing better. On any given day we can lose to any of those other teams.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:16:27 PM »
Imagine after everything that happened this week if we win this game  ;D

Moose

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:24:21 PM »

As I said on the other board-

Means nothing in the grand scheme of things right now. Prove its not an aberration and go out and win next two BE games and then you are 3-2. Then maybe people jumped the gun. But this team whether it be this year or the last 3 years has shown nothing in terms of reliability that they would win the next two BE games after Nova which should be wins.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
The problem as I see it is Lavin has never seen RUDY. Rudy got to suit up and play 2 plays in the last game of the season in a blowout. He did not start at QB for Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl. That movie would have been totally different if Lavin and not Parseghian/ Devine  was the Notre Dame coach
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:33:41 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »
The problem as I see it is Lavin has never seen RUDY. Rudy got to suit up and play 2 plays in the last game of the season in a blowout. He did not start at QB for Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl. That movie would have been totally different if Lavin and not Parseghian/ Devine  was the Notre Dame coach

Actually hopefully Lavin does not watch the movie, becuase if Rudy has any eligibility left he will be our starting Center

desco80

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:48:47 PM »

Means nothing in the grand scheme of things right now. Prove its not an aberration and go out and win next two BE games and then you are 3-2. Then maybe people jumped the gun. But this team whether it be this year or the last 3 years has shown nothing in terms of reliability that they would win the next two BE games after Nova which should be wins.

Not just that .. but we've shown nothing to indicate we will beat Villanova.     Everyone likes to say we're very talented but inconsistent and we just need to "mesh".  Well good teams that just haven't meshed yet still have good games now and then.   The old saying that we would win some we weren't supposed to, and lose some we weren't supposed... thats not true for this team, because where are the unexpected wins?
When do we ever win a game we're the underdog in?    Notre Dame at home last year?  Ehh
We never have big wins to offset the disappointing loses.   

TONYD3

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »
We should have won last year. No was very confident 2 weeks ago . Now I don't even want to go

paultzman

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »

Not just that .. but we've shown nothing to indicate we will beat Villanova.     Everyone likes to say we're very talented but inconsistent and we just need to "mesh".  Well good teams that just haven't meshed yet still have good games now and then.   The old saying that we would win some we weren't supposed to, and lose some we weren't supposed... thats not true for this team, because where are the unexpected wins?
When do we ever win a game we're the underdog in?    Notre Dame at home last year?  Ehh
We never have big wins to offset the disappointing loses.   

Nor have we evidenced the ability to steal some games on the road in BE play this season and last. That's where you make some hay & attract attention.