Villanova Discussion

• 256 replies

CC

Re: Villanova Discussion
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2014, 03:48:00 PM »
@FarcoSJU: Shuffling the lineups = trying to find identity??? Steve Lavin, "Absolutely. We are not at a point where we have 5 that are the clear best"

He has watched this group for months, he doesnt know who his 5 best are? Come on Lav

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:16 PM »
@FarcoSJU: This is Steve Lavin. "Some need to realize that playing college basketball is a privilege."

Hmmm

@FarcoSJU: Lavin continues to say it... "February will be when we hit our stride." I think a lot of people hope so...

He does realize everything prior to February still counts right? I mean if we go into February 11-12 or 12-11 he realizes we would basically have to win out to make the tourney right? Or is he gearing up for a nice NIT run?

paultzman

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2014, 04:45:51 PM »
@SJUCoachLavin: Practices have been good this week. We get to do drill work and focus on certain areas of emphasis on both sides of the ball. #SJUBB

Guess Karr was in dog house before GT game;

@SJUCoachLavin: JaKarr has had a great week of practice, probably the best three consecutive days of practice in his career. #SJUBB
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:23:54 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2014, 07:45:32 PM »
@FarcoSJU: This is Steve Lavin. "Some need to realize that playing college basketball is a privilege."

Hmmm

Very interesting indeed. 
You frequently hear that a coach who is willing to discipline his players and sit them for a game is showing great principle and is doing the right thing for the kids.
Wouldn't the right thing to be to nip it in the bud before it happens?
Case in point;  CR used to tell the story of how Bill Walton showed up to practice with long hair and Wooden kicked him out saying he could obey the rules or he wouldn't play on the team anymore.   Wouldn't real leadership have been sitting Walton down the week before practice and reminded him that come the first day of practice he needed to have his haircut?  Isn't that preferred over embarrassing the reigning national player of the year on the first day of practice in the fall?  Is it real leadership to discipline a player when everyone's watching?

I think about this when you hear rumors about guys being late to practice or missing the bus, and then we see Ndaye starting a conference game against our biggest rival.   That seems like the easy thing to do.
Real skill would involve handling the issue before it reaches that point.   Am I wrong?

paultzman

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2014, 07:50:21 PM »

Hmmm

Very interesting indeed. 
You frequently hear that a coach who is willing to discipline his players and sit them for a game is showing great principle and is doing the right thing for the kids.
Case in point;  CR used to tell the story of how Bill Walton showed up to practice with long hair and Wooden kicked him out saying he could obey the rules or he wouldn't play on the team anymore.   Wouldn't real leadership have been sitting Walton down the week before practice and reminded him that come the first day of practice he needed to have his haircut?  Isn't that preferred over embarrassing the reigning national player of the year on the first day of practice in the fall?  Is it real leadership to discipline a player when everyone's watching?

I think about this when you hear rumors about guys being late to practice or missing the bus, and then we see Ndaye starting a conference game against our biggest rival.   That seems like the easy thing to do.
Real skill would involve handling the issue before it reaches that point.   Am I wrong?
No

« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 07:56:15 PM »

Hmmm

Very interesting indeed. 

I would disagree, and I'm sure a lot of people have different takes on this, almost lays itself to coaching style.

I think you have to give every opportunity for them to be men, and handle their responsibilities on their own. If they don't, then you react.

You can't assume they aren't going to do something, you set expectations, and punish/teach when not met.

In the end, these are adults, we call them kids, but by legal definition they are all adults, albeit young adults, but nonetheless adults.

desco80

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 08:09:39 PM »
I hear what you are saying Chronic, and obviously there have to be repercussions.   A coach can't let the kids run amok.
I just see a lot of coaches who puff out their chests and say "see what I did?  I benched a star player".  And I don't know if that has it's intended effect.
Half the time I would imagine it just pisses the team off, because when you start 3 of the weakest players in an important game, because someone made a minor infraction,  you're not giving the team the best chance to win.   You don't think some of the guys on the team are as pissed off about the lineups as we are?

How do you think Harrison feels?

Idk - I could just see that type of discipline having the adverse effect you want it to.

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:08 PM »
I've been thinking that about harrison and the other guys too.

However, I am of the opinion that Lavs wasn't benching guys for disciplinary reasons or something like that, I think he started the others cuz they were trying really hard. Cuz if he benched JKS for whatever reason, I have to think that there are 4 or 5 other guys who would have gotten the start over Ndiaye (sp?)

paultzman

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
@rumbleSBN: Why is Villanova at top of the Big East? What's with PG Ryan Arcidiacono's struggles? The Q & A w/ @VUhoops http://t.co/JkdYQarAcC

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2014, 09:37:41 AM »

However, I am of the opinion that Lavs wasn't benching guys for disciplinary reasons or something like that, I think he started the others cuz they were trying really hard. Cuz if he benched JKS for whatever reason, I have to think that there are 4 or 5 other guys who would have gotten the start over Ndiaye (sp?)

Or maybe half the team is in trouble

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2014, 09:58:57 AM »

Or maybe half the team is in trouble

You are slipping Bluto. 75% of the board is at least annoyed with Lavin. Time for you to flip and become a big Lavin supporter.

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 10:06:03 AM »
NoFun:  69
STBB:  61

Obekpa inches out Ochefu 7-6 on blocks. 

Arcrcidiacono comming out party, pours in 30 points on the zone, finishes with 32 for the game, 5-7 from 3, 8 assits, 5 rebs, 4 steals. 

Sir D and James Bell receive double tech fouls in the first half.

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »
"Real skill would be handling the problem before it reaches that point". Let's see---can we agree there are team rules and every player knows them? Can we agree those rules are constantly reinforced by the staff? Can we agree every player knows that coming late or violating another rule will be punished? Can we agree that every player has seen guys benched or suspended for violating rules? And after all that, when players violate the rules and it's Lavin's fault for not handling the problem before those  rules are violated???????  What am I missing?

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »
Would be a good barometer of how bullet proof Lavin feels he is if he does trot out same starting 5. A very small part of me would like to see it just to read the reaction. I don't expect it but would not be shocked by it.

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »
Would be a good barometer of how bullet proof Lavin feels he is if he does trot out same starting 5. A very small part of me would like to see it just to read the reaction. I don't expect it but would not be shocked by it.

Doubtful. Christian Jones had a great practice on  Tuesday

paultzman

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »

That's not happening. Experiment blew up in someone's face, who knows clock is ticking. Ego trumps off the chart, look what I did moves. His commentary about the walk on, Karr, etc is pretty transparent. The premonition machine has been returned to Cosco. That said, I don't think we will  see a steady rotation for a while. (A shame), but I expect there will be a reasonable effort to win. No room for stunts, he knows that, despite the February nonsense.

paultzman

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 04:16:38 PM »
Only a 4.5 point dog according to Tom in Salem on Redmen site.  Signature win  at last?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 04:18:18 PM by paultzman »

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 04:22:33 PM »
Only a 4.5 point dog according to Tom in Salem on Redmen site.  Signature win  at last?

Well we were 4.5 pt dogs against Wisc, 5 pt dogs against cuse, 4.5 pt dogs against Xavier, and 6.5 pt dogs against Gtown. Didnt cover any of those games. I'd say we're overdue for a good performance as an underdog

desco80

« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »

Not out of the question.  I've thought for several years now that we shoot noticeably better at MSG than we do at Alumni Hall, and of course better there than on the road, as well.

Hopefully coach sticks to a tight 8 man rotation, the guys play hot potato on offense, and communicate well on picks when on D.   

I know everyone has their own opinions, but I'd like to see people at their natural positions tomorrow to start the game...
PG- Jordan
SG - Harrison
SF - Dom
PF - Sampson
C - Obekpa

Bring in Sanchez, Branch, and Greene as often as you like, but let everybody else warm their butts.    This group of 7-8 needs to figure out how to win games together, and it helps when they're not playing out of position.  No Phil at point, no Dom at PF, let Sampson be the PF, and if Sanchez backsup the 4 and the 5 he'll end up with starter's minutes.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 07:21:51 PM by desco80 »