Starting lineup -Nova

• 32 replies
Starting lineup -Nova
« on: January 07, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
I think he plays it straight. Maybe starts Hooper but goes 9 deep and no walkons or potential redhshirts.

boo3

Re: Starting lineup -Nova
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
 Sad thing is I barely even care anymore..

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
I think he plays it straight. Maybe starts Hooper but goes 9 deep and no walkons or potential redhshirts.
Starting your 9th best guy who only averages 10 mpg is borderline gimmicky.  But I agree with you

Foad

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »

9-5 its the former: if he starts some random 5 from his normal 8 and they play well, they've learned the hard lesson he taught them by sitting them versus Georgetown. If they don't, they're still not getting it because they're just not trying hard enough. Either way he looks good from a PR POV. I'd take a flier at 8 or 9 to 1 that he's stubborn enough to start Ndjiaye again, just to show that last week's Nostrada-mousse like premonition was spot on.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 11:00:15 AM »
Sad thing is I barely even care anymore..

That is the thing about what Lavin did on Saturday, it is hard when you have a wild card that youre not even sure the team is playing on a level field. It is tough when the coach might do anything, can't trust him. Norm was boring and bad, but at least you knew what you were getting. Lavin is like playing Joker's wild
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:01:33 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »

9-5 its the former: if he starts some random 5 from his normal 8 and they play well, they've learned the hard lesson he taught them by sitting them versus Georgetown. If they don't, they're still not getting it because they're just not trying hard enough. Either way he looks good from a PR POV. I'd take a flier at 8 or 9 to 1 that he's stubborn enough to start Ndjiaye again, just to show that last week's Nostrada-mousse like premonition was spot on.

We will probably get spanked either way, but if he starts Ndjaye again then it would put some of the heat on him. No? I really don't know anymore, but if I were betting I think he plays it straight. More to lose the other way..... I think

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:08 AM »
Wonder how Vegas sets early line on our games with this lineup craziness?

Tha Kid

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:15 AM »
I think he realizes the heat is on a bit and he starts Rysheed, Harrison, Jakarr, Sanchez and who knows for the 5th but it will be one of the regulars + Hooper.
"I drink and I know things"

boo3

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
 I'm really to the point where I think there is better than 50/50 chance that Lavin will leave after this season.  Make up a reason.  I think it's back to the drawing board after this one.   Not trying to start rumors, just a gut feeling.

He wants a extension and or raise, he's not getting one..., nor should he.. Tourney or bust.... he said it ( more or less)..  The inability to get a team on the court to play respectable basketball after having these kids for 2+ seasons is inexcusable.   

Yes, there is a lot of basketball to be played, but until I see something on the court that shows me anything, I'm down on the rest of this season..

Time for talk and hyperbole is over.  Results business..  Now is the time..

Foad

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »
We will probably get spanked either way, but if he starts Ndjaye again then it would put some of the heat on him. No? I really don't know anymore, but if I were betting I think he plays it straight. More to lose the other way..... I think

Agree, hence 9-5 versus 9-1. But recall his biggest mistake last week was not playing the walk on more. Imagine what a genyious he'll look like if the walk on starts again and makes two jump shots.

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
I'm really to the point where I think there is better than 50/50 chance that Lavin will leave after this season.  Make up a reason.  I think it's back to the drawing board after this one.   Not trying to start rumors, just a gut feeling.

He wants a extension and or raise, he's not getting one..., nor should he.. Tourney or bust.... he said it ( more or less)..  The inability to get a team on the court to play respectable basketball after having these kids for 2+ seasons is inexcusable.   

Yes, there is a lot of basketball to be played, but until I see something on the court that shows me anything, I'm down on the rest of this season..

Time for talk and hyperbole is over.  Results business..  Now is the time..

Solid post Boo.

CC

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
Jordan Harrison Dom Sampson Obepka.

TONYD3

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
I think he tries to win.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
If he goes with a "normal" lineup, is it because he takes Nova more seriously than he took GT, or is it because he realized that last week's lineup was a train wreck? Also, I wonder if the players actually do try harder seeing their playing time go to scrubs because of their try-hardness in practice.

CC

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »
I bet Lavin would have trouble answering that

desco80

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
If he starts a normal lineup, and also limits the rotation (like he did in the Cuse game for example)  then it's because he realizes the season is slipping away and he needs to start winning. 

But I don't think that will happen.   After the Georgetown game he showed no sense of urgency or concern.

CC

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »
If he starts a normal lineup, and also limits the rotation (like he did in the Cuse game for example)  then it's because he realizes the season is slipping away and he needs to start winning. 

But I don't think that will happen.   After the Georgetown game he showed no sense of urgency or concern.

So you think he continues to not start Jordan? And maybe starts Balamou, Hooper and or Ndjaye?

desco80

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »

So you think he continues to not start Jordan? And maybe starts Balamou, Hooper and or Ndjaye?

I think he didn't start Jordan, Jakarr etc last game because they committed some misdemeanor offense like being late to the team bus (in a snow storm).   From his comments after the game it didn't seem like he thought the problem was not starting the better players.
Nor did it seem like he was particularly worried about the season slipping away.  He stuck to.. we'll peak in February bs.

I just hope none of the players sneeze at practice this week or forget to shave.   

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 12:46:22 PM »
Pissed at the team lineup:
Harrison
Greene
Balamou
Sanchez
Gift

Wants to win lineup:
Jordan
Harrison
Sampson
Sanchez
Obekpa

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:48:58 PM »

I think he didn't start Jordan, Jakarr etc last game because they committed some misdemeanor offense like being late to the team bus (in a snow storm).   From his comments after the game it didn't seem like he thought the problem was not starting the better players.
Nor did it seem like he was particularly worried about the season slipping away.  He stuck to.. we'll peak in February bs.

I just hope none of the players sneeze at practice this week or forget to shave.   

See I don't think he believes his own crap. That is what I would bet anyway. He tried to be tricky, it blew up, he fed the media a line of bull spit and he will try something else. The next thing he tries might be equally as stupid, but I believe, hope he is smart enough to see that playing lesser players against good teams is a bad idea.