NIT

• 13 replies
NIT
« on: January 11, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
I thought this year was  a must for NCAA, but honestly must or what? Does anyone think we would be better off with someone else? NIT two years in a row would now be acceptable for me. Realistically that is where we are at. Team imploding and losing 7 of 10 seems less far fetched than us pulling out a NCAA run at this point. If team can keep from imploding and we don't suffer horrendous losses of players than I think we have to push back our must make tourney goal to next year. Honestly I had us winning 20 and being a bubble team so 17 wins and NIT is really not that far off.

DFF6

Re: NIT
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »
Can't disagree with this at all. Now the concern is whether Lavin can convince the recruits to still come.

boo3

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:26:19 PM »
 STJ......disappointing the most pessemistic fans since, well, forever.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »
I had us winning 20 and being a bubble team so 17 wins and NIT is really not that far off.

Nit yeah, but a two or three seed.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »
I don't think NIT is in the cards this season either. CBA, CIB what was the name of that fake tourney?

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
I don't think NIT is in the cards this season either. CBA, CIB what was the name of that fake tourney?

Agree we are NIT bubble team at absolute best

Dan

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »
Can't disagree with this at all. Now the concern is whether Lavin can convince the recruits to still come.

Even if he can he cannot coach them

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:32 AM »
If the NIT is now our ceiling, have fun following this program guys.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »

Fun?  Who said anything about fun?

This is our cross to bear!

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »

It's not a gimme that we even get back to .500 in the conference.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »

Fun?  Who said anything about fun?

This is our cross to bear!
Didn't mean the reality of making the NIT rather some posters thinking this is what the program should expect and be happy with.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 12:25:16 PM »
@StJohnsBBall: #SJUBB's official NCAA RPI as of today is 97, per @ncaastats. SOS is 33.

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
Given the high expectations going into this season, I can't really pretend that I'd be happy with only an NIT appearance.  But to be honest, if this team finishes strong and makes it, I can accept that.  I find myself at a real crossroads with Lavin.  On one hand, I am tremendously disappointed with the lack of player development on this team.  Outside of D'Angelo, I can't really say 1 player has gotten better in his time at St. John's.  On the other hand, I also get that fans need to have patience with this program.  As much as we all want this team to succeed, really solid programs are not built overnight.  They take time and a lot of hard work.

However, the one thing that I am really concerned about is the recruiting situation.  Looking at results, I understand where people could me crazy for that.  But there have been multiple posters on this site that have repeatedly said that Lavin and his staff are absent at potential recruits games.  That doesn't make any sense because (a) he's losing 2 key members of the front court this season (b) 2015 needs to be a home run for Lavin to really turn this program around.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »
Given the high expectations going into this season, I can't really pretend that I'd be happy with only an NIT appearance.  But to be honest, if this team finishes strong and makes it, I can accept that.  I find myself at a real crossroads with Lavin.  On one hand, I am tremendously disappointed with the lack of player development on this team.  Outside of D'Angelo, I can't really say 1 player has gotten better in his time at St. John's.  On the other hand, I also get that fans need to have patience with this program.  As much as we all want this team to succeed, really solid programs are not built overnight.  They take time and a lot of hard work.

However, the one thing that I am really concerned about is the recruiting situation.  Looking at results, I understand where people could me crazy for that.  But there have been multiple posters on this site that have repeatedly said that Lavin and his staff are absent at potential recruits games.  That doesn't make any sense because (a) he's losing 2 key members of the front court this season (b) 2015 needs to be a home run for Lavin to really turn this program around.

We've been landing all of the talent we need. I'm not at all concerned with recruiting, because landing more talent isn't the answer here. The talent we have must learn to play as a team. Lavin can recruit. He's been landing players that for 6 years we were only finalists for.

He needs help coaching, and that should worry us more than anything because it means that he's not intelligent enough to solve this himself.