Orlando Sanchez

• 21 replies

pmg911

Orlando Sanchez
« on: January 12, 2014, 08:25:04 AM »
Coach  Lavin  called him a future NBA player, I am sorry but it was all hype for the media.

To me, Sanchez has been the most disappointing player on the team. He doesn't do anything special and is slow. He is at best an average player.

All this talk about being a JUCO All American but people forget it was Div II JUCO, just like Gift.

Re: Orlando Sanchez
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
Agree 100%. I expected way more from Sanchez. Lavin/Fratto hyped this kid up and he hasn't come close to matching the expectations. Give me an undersized PF like Pinkston any day of the week over Sanchez.

TONYD3

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:14:10 AM »
Every coach in the country would take pinkston over Sanchez . Sanchez is ok not terrible . All of the recruits are over hyped.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »
Obekpa needs to be starting. That is on Lavin. He should be further along on man to man d, and he should have at least one offensive move. He doesn't. But he's gotta play.

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 03:55:58 PM »
Sanchez was on the bench in foul trouble before I even got to my seat. lol

Poison

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »
We thought he would give us an advantage as a 25 year old super senior. But he is 25 going on 45. He is skilled, but he is not an athlete, and he's overmatched by most interior players. He can't start. Enough is enough already.

cjfish

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 05:08:53 PM »
Sanchez is a strong rebounder with a reasonable shot.  He is the only guy on the team who consistently sets good screens.  His biggest problem is he is a team player whose guards are primarily stuck in AAU.  If he gets the ball in good position he would do a lot of damage.  The team is not using his skills at all.

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »
Thought he played well against Syracuse . Pinkston was a tough matchup for him . Think he is fine. He is not the problem. Don't think he should be leading the break .  But when he plays to his skills he is good. He shouldn't handle the ball so much. He has a hard time guarding quicker players. .

isham

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
He's skilled,however it takes sometime after sitting out a year and coming in from J C. Look at Hardy and Bromlee their first year. He's the key to a successful season. I agree that he needs to start producing.

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 07:16:00 PM »
I'd  like to see more 3 guard lineups. Our scorers / playmakers are dlo Jordan Greene and branch. Play 3 of them at a time and distribute the minutes at the 4 and 5 to Dom  Jakarr Sanchez and obekpa. 

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »
Anybody else kinda wish we still had Amir?

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 08:23:47 PM »
Anybody else kinda wish we still had Amir?

I kinda still wish Dunlap was here

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 08:26:07 PM »
http://redmen.com/1x/forum/4-redmentalk/41272-is-this-team-really-that-much-more-improved.html?start=40
Thread on Sanchez from September:

Marillac:  I know the mystery and some quotes add to the Sanchez hype, but I don't think he has a chance to play in the NBA outside of summer ball. He's a little bit of a plodder and he will be 25. He also doesn't really have a true position.

Moose:  You have used plodder and him quite a few times and I'm not sure what your seeing.

Marillac:  It looks like he has heavy feet to me. He is very skilled, but he is not going to blow by anyone. He does have a solid vertical and excellent coordination, but he is not what I would consider athletic and he is definitely not what I consider to be quick--even relative to his position.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:26:36 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »
Agree with PMG on this one.  Based on what I heard, I thought Sanchez was going to be similar to Brownlee, at worst.  He is not even close to that right now.  He has been okay, but expected more.  Still hoping he turns it around.  And yes he does show a propensity to get into foul trouble quickly.

TONYD3

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:39:02 PM »
Had a lacrosse coach who said I could have played divison one in college. Wasn't true. But it made me feel good. Who cares how lavin hypes the players . Sanchez is a decent player. He can help us. Only way he goes to the nba is if he buys a ticket though

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »
Agree with PMG on this one.  Based on what I heard, I thought Sanchez was going to be similar to Brownlee, at worst.  He is not even close to that right now.  He has been okay, but expected more.  Still hoping he turns it around.  And yes he does show a propensity to get into foul trouble quickly.

There is still time for him.  The adjustment from Region 15 JUCO to the Big East is huge, especially for a kid that isn't a superb athlete.  He does some really nice things and he just has to pick and choose better.  I absolutely love when he faces up in the post and when he takes a short drive baseline to draw the help and dumps it off in the lane.  That kind of stuff is great and high %.  When he starts to try and take guys off the dribble from behind the arch, that is where he gets into trouble.

I like the way he leads the break off his rebounds, he just needs to keep his head up and stay under control like Brownlee always did.  He does a good job rebounding around the basket, but he needs to step it up away from the hoop.  He's awful at 50/50s and long rebounds. 

Tiznow

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »

Sanchez so far - 6.8 ppg / 5 rpg / 50% shooting

Brownlee's first season - 6.8 ppg / 4.5 rpg / 45% shooting
Brownlee's second season - 12.3 ppg / 5.2 rpg / 45% shooting

Sanchez was screwed on the first two foul calls Saturday.  I've never heard both crowds express more frustration over an officiating crew. 

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »
I have been Sanchez's biggest defender on here, but there is no doubt he was absolutely awful on Saturday.  Yes there were some bad calls but the guy made terrible decisions on the floor. 

I still believe he's an extremely talented player who is having identity issues (either because of his own game or coaching not refining a role for him).  He should be playing on the blocks identifying cutters and using his best skill as a passer to help us get more looks around the rim. 

Instead he's bringing the ball up on the break, taking threes along the baseline and driving the ball from past the top of the key with that long stride of his that's tough for him to control.  I just think his lack of a refined role is hurting him.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 12:11:09 AM »
Brownlee is a great athlete. He played above the rim against top competition. Sanchez is a lousy athlete. I don't similarities in their games.

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »
sanchez issue is motor and basketball IQ.