Are You Ready to Move On?

• 67 replies

desco80

Are You Ready to Move On?
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Leaving aside timing for right now (midseason, after the season, after his contract ends, etc)  the question is in general terms: "have you seen enough?".

For me the answer is unfortunately yes.   I don't have any animosity to the man personally, and I think it was a good hire.  It was worth the investment and worth a shot.   But it hasn't worked out, and at this point I think there are more than enough coaches who could win more games here than he is right now.

Dan

Re: Are You Ready to Move On?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »
We were taken by the snake oil salesman.

Apparently they didn't learn from Norm...find someone that can coach.  Even Norm was decent with recruiting.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »
Although I am expecting a failure of a season, he cannot be judged until after the season...although I do not think I can watch anymore games because my wife is tired of me cursing at the TV.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:47 PM »
Whether you are or not, "the ship be sinking"-Michael Ray Richardson

Dan

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
I wonder if they lost every Big East game if they would do something or if they would still keep him because they don't want to pay two coaches that much money

Dan

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »
Hell, even Norm had the "this program was in shambles when he came in" excuse, and if you really want to spin it, you can say Norm left the program slightly better off because he didn't get them in trouble and handed it off to the next coach in not the most terrible of shape.  In the end they kept him too long because he wasn't good but I digress.

Lavin doesn't even have that.

Last year - "we're young"

Give me a break.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:59:44 PM by Dan »

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
So we go out hire a hot young coach and he bolts like Fran or we hire a career asst like Norm and we dive deeper into a hole. Sorry guys although we have underachieved to this point, Lav gives the program a face for now and if Norm was allowed 5 yrs i think the same should be said for Lavs. Now if you want to count his year out as a year thats fine, but i would like to see another class or two and take it from there. 

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:02:27 PM »
So we go out hire a hot young coach and he bolts like Fran or we hire a career asst like Norm and we dive deeper into a hole. Sorry guys although we have underachieved to this point, Lav gives the program a face for now and if Norm was allowed 5 yrs i think the same should be said for Lavs. Now if you want to count his year out as a year thats fine, but i would like to see another class or two and take it from there. 

Fran didn't Bolt, he toyed with the idea but was shown the door. At this point,  I would be happy with luring Danny Hurley here and start young.

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:03:42 PM »
He's not going anywhere

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:13:44 PM »
I went to my first St. John's game as a 9 yr old in December of 1970.  Have been a huge fan since.  I have seen some great teams, some very good teams and sadly my share of bad teams.  But for the first time in 43 yrs, to nights game left me feeling a bit hopeless.  And its not that we lost or that we are 9-7, but it was the way we lost.   It just seems that we have no clue the last 5 minutes of the game.  And its a trend.  Penn St, Syracuse, Villanova, De Paul all games we lead with less then 5 to play, all loses.  And I really think it boils down to coaching.  Yes guys miss shots and turn the ball over, but were the 5 on the floor the final 5 of the game really our best option.

Would I like to see a new coach,  yes and no.  I really wanted Lavin to be successful here, but I just don't see it happening.   I don't know but I would hate the one to have to make that decision.

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 10:19:32 PM »
Fran was trying to parlay SJU into the Michigan job, thats a fact and if Hurley is successful here guess what? he's off to a bigger program. Be careful what you wish for. And trust me i loved Fran, i was hoping he would be a guy that would be here for years.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:20:59 PM by erickthered »

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
He's gotta go. Even if they miraculously make the tournament, the performance to date warrants a firing.

Moose

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 10:24:18 PM »
Fran was trying to parlay SJU into the Michigan job, thats a fact and if Hurley is successful here guess what? he's off to a bigger program. Be careful what you wish for. And trust me i loved Fran, i was hoping he would be a guy that would be here for years.

You sure?  Fran's last year at SJU was Ellerbe's first at UM. 
I thought it was Arizona State.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 10:26:52 PM »
I don't think SJU would be able to get a coach better than Lavin. So it probably ends this debate right there.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 10:28:42 PM »

St John's is no longer the destination program it once was. If a guy like Hurley comes in and does a job good enough to earn him looks from bigger programs that would mean that we would be winning. How is that worse thanWhat's happening now?

paultzman

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 10:30:36 PM »

You sure?  Fran's last year at SJU was Ellerbe's first at UM. 
I thought it was Arizona State.

Was ASU

TONYD3

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:12 PM »
How do u play crunch time with gift in? I know their are hooper lovers but what was he doing in the game at crunch time ? Branch played well in 1st half , did he play in 2ND?

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 10:32:49 PM »
I would tell Whitesell it just hasn't worked out and open the wallet
a little more and pursue Dunlap to come back as the head assistant coach.  It would be cheaper
than getting rid of Lavin and we know that's what's missing.  Most likely unrealistic but I
would put a feeler out if I were Monasch.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:21 PM »
Give me a coach over a recruiter any day. If Lavin isn't an Xs & Os guy, what the hell is he doing coaching? Put down the iPhone and learn the f'n game. He is full of it.

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 10:52:13 PM »
I would tell Whitesell it just hasn't worked out and open the wallet
a little more and pursue Dunlap to come back as the head assistant coach.  It would be cheaper
than getting rid of Lavin and we know that's what's missing.  Most likely unrealistic but I
would put a feeler out if I were Monasch.
What in it for Dunlap?