Are You Ready to Move On?

• 67 replies
Re: Are You Ready to Move On?
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:46 PM »
A job, he needs one.

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 11:39:50 PM »
I disagree with the idea that we couldn't get any type of high profile or up and coming coach, or that they would necessarily bolt. I mean, its true that the program isn't nearly what it once was, but I think for the most part, any coach that experienced success here, in NYC, would love it and want to stay.

That being said, I think Lavin needs the end of this year at least. And if we make the NIT and win a game or 2, I think he needs next year as well.

desco80

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 11:49:57 PM »
I would be fine with an up and coming coach doing well and then bolting.
Your coach doesn't have to stay 20 years for the program to be successful.

Xavier coaches keep making a jump up to a better job after a few years, and I would love to have the success they've had. 

paultzman

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 12:00:17 AM »
I would be fine with an up and coming coach doing well and then bolting.
Your coach doesn't have to stay 20 years for the program to be successful.

Xavier coaches keep making a jump up to a better job after a few years, and I would love to have the success they've had. 

Precisely

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2014, 01:43:14 AM »
Down one point, depaul with the ball, 15 seconds left, Depaul timeout. Both teams break huddle and you call your last timeout after nothing has changed knowing you are going to get the ball back and need a bucket.

Yes I am ready
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 01:52:27 AM »
Just looked at the box score. Jamal played less minutes than everybody else who played. That is absolutely embarrassing and Lavin should be asked straight up about it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 01:58:35 AM »
How do u play crunch time with gift in? I know their are hooper lovers but what was he doing in the game at crunch time ? Branch played well in 1st half , did he play in 2ND?
At least Lavin is consistent: he doesn't know who to start, who to give playing time to, who to play in crunch time!

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2014, 06:04:33 AM »
I disagree with the idea that we couldn't get any type of high profile or up and coming coach, or that they would necessarily bolt. I mean, its true that the program isn't nearly what it once was, but I think for the most part, any coach that experienced success here, in NYC, would love it and want to stay.

That being said, I think Lavin needs the end of this year at least. And if we make the NIT and win a game or 2, I think he needs next year as well.

The team tried to get a high profile coach last time and got flat out rejected.  Ended up settling with Lavin, who hadn't coached in years.

The days of St. John's getting who they want are over.  Team will either (a) settling with retread a la Seth Greenberg (b) go the Norm Roberts route and hire an up-and-coming assistant.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:04:56 AM by DoodyNY33 »

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2014, 07:49:12 AM »
Bring in Dunlap as the head coach. He is an excellent X and O guy.
Make sure he hires excellent recruiters on his staff.

Moose

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
Dunlap is not coming back.
Move on everyone.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:40 AM »
Lavin brings a major profile to a mid major program.

Bring in a mid major coach and we'll be mired in dreck forever.

And forget Dunlap.  Jordan may have screwed him, but he also made him a millionaire.  He doesn't need us.

Moose

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
Lavin brings a major profile to a mid major program.

Bring in a mid major coach and we'll be mired in dreck forever.

And forget Dunlap.  Jordan may have screwed him, but he also made him a millionaire.  He doesn't need us.

Newsie

Who do you propose on a major level to come and elevate this mid major program?

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2014, 09:01:42 AM »
Keep Lavin.  We are what we are.

NYCoffey

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2014, 10:05:12 AM »
I would tell Whitesell it just hasn't worked out and open the wallet
a little more and pursue Dunlap to come back as the head assistant coach.  It would be cheaper
than getting rid of Lavin and we know that's what's missing.  Most likely unrealistic but I
would put a feeler out if I were Monasch.

I would guess that they have talked to him since he got fired from the Bobcats. Just a guess but it's not like he left on bad terms.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 10:06:16 AM by NYCoffey »

LJSA

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2014, 12:38:13 PM »
How long is Whitesell's contract and and how much per year? Pretty unrealistic that we'd eat all that. Plus he's a friend of Lavin. I'd love Dunlap back, but it will never happen. Plus, I swear I could remember half the board angry with his coaching when Lavin was sick.

I have bigger issues with Rico. I have no clue what he does. Rico had a rep for individual workouts with pros, but has that helped here? Also, having Martin here really does nothing. Every top California point guard goes to Arizona anyway, so I'd rather have Mo Hicks here.

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2014, 02:03:28 PM »
Steve Lavin is the only hope St. John's has left of remaining a high major program. To me, this board is falling into the classic "Don't know whatcha got till it's gone" scenario. We fire Lavin, we immediately become a mid-major. Now, it's true we play like one now, but we recruit like a top 25 program with Lavin.  We lose Lavin, not only will we play like a mid-major, we will recruit like one and maybe make the tournament once a decade. Do you really long for the days of fighting over 2 star recruits with mid-majors?

Changing coaches and rebuilding every 5 years is not the answer. I still think Lavin can be very successful here. You all are fooling yourselves if you think he'll be fired, not a chance. The most likely way he's not the coach next year is if he leaves on his own.

This season has been very disappointing thus far. No way around that. But, let's see how the rest plays out. Still a chance we can right the ship and turn in a respectable conference record.

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »
Steve Lavin is the only hope St. John's has left of remaining a high major program. To me, this board is falling into the classic "Don't know whatcha got till it's gone" scenario. We fire Lavin, we immediately become a mid-major. Now, it's true we play like one now, but we recruit like a top 25 program with Lavin.  We lose Lavin, not only will we play like a mid-major, we will recruit like one and maybe make the tournament once a decade. Do you really long for the days of fighting over 2 star recruits with mid-majors?

Changing coaches and rebuilding every 5 years is not the answer. I still think Lavin can be very successful here. You all are fooling yourselves if you think he'll be fired, not a chance. The most likely way he's not the coach next year is if he leaves on his own.

This season has been very disappointing thus far. No way around that. But, let's see how the rest plays out. Still a chance we can right the ship and turn in a respectable conference record.

I think the majority of the posters don't want Lavin fired or to leave. I don't. He deserves criticism though and must do a better job. If we have a similar year next season then I would probably move over to the Lavin must go camp though.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:19:35 PM by we are sju »

Moose

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »

I think the majority of the posters don't want Lavin fired or to leave. I don't. He deserves criticism though and must do a better job. If we have a similar year next season then I would probably move over to the Lavin must go camp though.

I disagree with that.  I think the majority of posters do want him gone at this stage.

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »

I disagree with that.  I think the majority of posters do want him gone at this stage.

Lavin can't coach but is a good recruiter that brings a level of respectability. With that type of person there is at least hope every season. I would not bet on it, but if you told me the team makes the sweet 16 next season I would not be shocked or say it was inconceivable. I am afraid the wrong coach replacing Lavin could bring us back to the dark days of Norm where there was no hope.
Bottom line is outside of a hire I do not expect I would want Lavin back for next year, terrible coaching and all.

desco80

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2014, 02:31:48 PM »

Serious question, I'm not trying to instigate, but why do you think that Steve Lavin is the only person who could successfully recruit here?
Is he that unique?   
I agree with what you said, that its worth reminding people that you may not know what you have till it's gone, but at the same time I would remind you not to be afraid of the unknown.
Who was Calhoun before he went to UCONN?   Nick Saban was at Toledo when Michigan State made him their head coach.   
Jay Wright?  Mark Few?   Tom Crean?   etc.   These guys weren't "big names" when they got hired, and most of them didn't walk into plush jobs.    But if you looked under the surface they had what it takes to be successful.   

Rick Pitino, Calipari, Billy Donovan etc aren't walking in the door, but you don't know who the next generation of those guys is.    Who's to say it's not Steve Maisello or Orlando Antigua?   You can't make a superficial decision, you've got to see what these guys are made of.   There are others who can recruit here.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:32:43 PM by desco80 »