Providence Game Thread

• 283 replies

desco80

Re: Providence Game Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 16, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »
Food poisoning? Cramps?   Greene is our fastest player?
Wtf!!   Stop the damn excuses!        How the hell in a double OT game does Jordan play 13 mins?!

LJSA

« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »
This is an aside, but can someone tell me what we did to scorn the Harris family?   
And is the youngest one, terry, a d1 type player?

Tobias was too good for us. In hindsight, Tyler should have been here but we went for the big ineligible splash instead. I believe Terry is around 6'5", so the older brothers got the all important extra three to four inches.

« Reply #242 on: January 17, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »
Wtf!!   Stop the damn excuses!        How the hell in a double OT game does Jordan play 13 mins?!

It is always excuses, enough get him out of here. Hopefully we get pressure from Fox and Big East

desco80

« Reply #243 on: January 17, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
This is an aside, but can someone tell me what we did to scorn the Harris family?   

Tobias was too good for us. In hindsight, Tyler should have been here but we went for the big ineligible splash instead. I believe Terry is around 6'5", so the older brothers got the all important extra three to four inches.

Thank you LJSA

« Reply #244 on: January 17, 2014, 12:14:13 AM »
I don't know if anyone posted this already, if it was, sorry.  But the stat of the night for me was that in 50 minutes of basketball  we made 1 three point basket(Harrison's 3 in 2nd half).  In this day and age of 3 pt shooting I cant believe we cant find anyone who can consistently hit a 3. providence had 3 makes in the first 5 minutes of the game,  and we still should have won.  who ever is leading this tam in the future please find someone who can hit an outside shot. 

« Reply #245 on: January 17, 2014, 01:07:15 AM »

Could be wrong but I believe we were after Tyler originally but we had the log jam of Moe, Jakarr, Amir & Dom so the interest dropped and he went to NC State

« Reply #246 on: January 17, 2014, 02:04:30 AM »

No.  West lost to East for the first time in ages this season. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 12:31:30 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Marillac

« Reply #247 on: January 17, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »
Dom with one offensive rebound in 34 minutes of a two OT game.   How can any team succeed with that production from their wing? If we had a normal SF, they get 3-4 and we win.  Jordan is a PG and he always manages to outrebound Dom on the offensive end.  He got two in just 13 minutes. 

I am so fed up with Dom pointer and this staff right now. 

« Reply #248 on: January 17, 2014, 03:40:31 AM »

How does Jordan play 13 minutes in a double overtime game? By sitting on the bench for 37 minutes! This is the only page of this thread I have read so here goes-how in the ell can Lavin have Hooper in the game on that inbounds play where they tied him up? First of all as good an outside shooter as he is supposed to be his free throw shooting has not been good and he is by far our weakest player-I've seen bigger guns on Olive Oil!

« Reply #249 on: January 17, 2014, 06:46:29 AM »
How???....When coming out of a timeout, can you not have 5 guys playing the same defense?  This happened more than once!!

Is there another player in the NCAA that has a lower basketball IQ than Dom?

Yes, they just happen to be one the same team as him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #250 on: January 17, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »
How???....When coming out of a timeout, can you not have 5 guys playing the same defense?  This happened more than once!!

Is there another player in the NCAA that has a lower basketball IQ than Dom?

Yes, they just happen to be one the same team as him.

We should get Dom a director's chair for offense.  He just wants to be 25 feet away giving instructions when he should be living under the basket on every shot.  A great offensive rebounder can get 3-5 a game directly while forcing a few fouls/turnovers and keeping some balls alive for teammates indirectly.  That equates to extra possessions.  We get none of that from Dom.  But at least we have his awesome handle and outside shooting ability.  Mind-boggling. 

« Reply #251 on: January 17, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »
If i'm Jordan.  I would transfer..  F this.

I AM PRETTY SURE THAT IS HAPPENING ANYWAY BOO

Did anyone else notice Jordan was not on the bench from the 5 min point of the second half through the end of the game? I couldn't find him anywhere

Is this true?  I thought I saw him in the huddle during timeouts.

He was there...joking with Obekpa and Balamou but did not look happy about sitting...can't bame him..bonehead move not having him in...best driver, best defender...

« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »
There was a stretch during the overtime where Obekpa, Rysheed and a few other guys on the bench were joking around.  Saw D'Angelo on the floor while down 10 also joking around.  They need to be made aware of their body language.  It's an awful awful look.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
Coaches were very frustrated with players taking their time (and doing a lot of chest pumping) getting back to the huddle during time outs...Lavin almost blew a gasket with Harrison during 1 OT...hugged him on the way out of the huddle...guess he finds it difficult to be a hardass

« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
If it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all:

- Perhaps the greatest free throw outing in Alumni Hall history by Prov. and they needed every single one to eek out a win:

Finished regulation at 23 of 24  for 96%
Then hit first three of 1st overtime to be 26 of 27 at one point.  An unheard of 97%.
Finally missed some in 2nd overtime including the last one on purpose.

Is school out or are the kids just beat down like us from all the losing?  Student sections behind the basket were empty and it cost us.  Have to figure Friars would have missed at least a couple with packed sections bothering the shot behind the basket.

- Sir with no love trying hard not to be outdone by himself.  After giving the opponent a 5 point play in a 2 point loss at DePaul...he follows it up by giving Providence a 4 point play in a double overtime home loss.

- Yes, subbing in Crimson for defense and out for offense late was odd.  But the lineup on the floor for the final nail in the coffin turnover was even odder.  With 23 seconds left down by one,  you know Prov. is in all out pressure to steal or foul.  We have no need for size and rebounding there.  Yes, you need free throw shooters but speed and dribbling ability might also be a good thing to have on the floor.  Lineup should have been Triangle, 3'lo, Jordan, Branch then maybe Hooper.    When we're on the FT line you could sub back in for size and defense.

- Somebody other than me should point out that the squares mano a mano defense on James Cotton was the key to the almost BE win.  Completely shut him down the entire regulation without fouling and only yielded 6 total points to him which came in the overtimes.  Worked extremely hard through screens to not switch ( a board pet peeve ) and when the bigs temporarily switched worked hard to get back on him.  Won't mean as much coming from me as all know I'm biased.

- As I was stuck in traffic leaving the venue because the gate was stuck down,  I heard the unbiased 1130 Am announcers select Phil Greene as the Player of the Game!

« Reply #255 on: January 17, 2014, 01:03:08 PM »
School isn't back in session until next Thursday. Long break for the students.

Poison

« Reply #256 on: January 17, 2014, 01:06:49 PM »

- Perhaps the greatest free throw outing in Alumni Hall history by Prov. and they needed every single one to eek out a win:

Then hit first three of 1st overtime to be 26 of 27 at one point.  An unheard of 97%.

Is school out or are the kids just beat down like us from all the losing?  Student sections behind the basket were empty and it cost us.  Have to figure Friars would have missed at least a couple with packed sections bothering the shot behind the basket.

- Sir with no love trying hard not to be outdone by himself.  After giving the opponent a 5 point play in a 2 point loss at DePaul...he follows it up by giving Providence a 4 point play in a double overtime home loss.

- Yes, subbing in Crimson for defense and out for offense late was odd.  But the lineup on the floor for the final nail in the coffin turnover was even odder.  With 23 seconds left down by one,  you know Prov. is in all out pressure to steal or foul.  We have no need for size and rebounding there.  Yes, you need free throw shooters but speed and dribbling ability might also be a good thing to have on the floor.  Lineup should have been Triangle, 3'lo, Jordan, Branch then maybe Hooper.    When we're on the FT line you could sub back in for size and defense.

- Somebody other than me should point out that the squares mano a mano defense on James Cotton was the key to the almost BE win.  Completely shut him down the entire regulation without fouling and only yielded 6 total points to him which came in the overtimes.  Worked extremely hard through screens to not switch ( a board pet peeve ) and when the bigs temporarily switched worked hard to get back on him.  Won't mean as much coming from me as all know I'm biased.

- As I was stuck in traffic leaving the venue because the gate was stuck down,  I heard the unbiased 1130 Am announcers select Phil Greene as the Player of the Game!

Cotton scored on Greene to win the game.

« Reply #257 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »

PC went into that game the #1 free throw shooting team in the country. That wasn't bad luck on our behalf.

Foad

« Reply #258 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:16 PM »
As I was stuck in traffic leaving the venue because the gate was stuck down,  I heard the unbiased 1130 Am announcers select Phil Greene as the Player of the Game!

For which team?

« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
St John's is 85% a commuter school so it shouldn't matter if students are on break.  There is absolutely no interest in this team because they are borderline unwatchable to anybody but the diehard fan.  Every home game this year has been a disappointing crowd.  Nobody cares and nobody will till Lavin is gone and a new brand of basketball is brought in.  He must of cost the University millions. 

He probably said all the right things in the interview after he studied the history of St John's and told them everything they wanted to hear.