New Head Coach?

• 80 replies
New Head Coach?
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »
In the Head Coaching thread it was asked who will be the coach next year. I think most posters assume that Lavin will not be fired and voted for him. I thought it would be more interesting to find out who the posters want as the coach. I am in the camp with finding an up and coming mid-major coach who is a strong tactical guy. I think Lavin is a great recruiter but is not a good tactician and is an awful game day coach. I am sick of watching a basketball team with little or no execution on both ends of the floor. If he cannot turn it around this year I think he should be gone.

Re: New Head Coach?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »
Archie Miller should be on this list.  He'd get my vote

desco80

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »
I think everyone knows my choice, I think we strike while we can with Antigua.   
He checks off all but 1 box in my book:   young & hungry, nyc guy, former player, hard worker, great recruiter, NBA ties, good pedigree from the Dixon and Calipari coaching trees, been on the sidelines for Final Fours and NCs,  can relate to players etc.  He's done all he can as an assistant, it's his time now.

If a guy like that goes to a midmajor and wins 20 games for a year or two, then he becomes too expensive for us and ends up replacing Pitino or Billy Donovan at a dream job. 

But truthfully there are several guys on this list that need to be interviewed and could end up being excellent choices.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:43:05 PM by desco80 »

CC

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
4 games into the conference  and we are talking about who is coaching the team next season

Moose

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:05:10 PM »
4 games into the conference  and we are talking about who is coaching the team next season

Got anything better to talk about?
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »
He checks off all but 1 box in my book:   young & hungry, nyc guy, former player, hard worker, great recruiter, NBA ties, good pedigree from the Dixon and Calipari coaching trees, been on the sidelines for Final Fours and NCs,  can relate to players etc.  He's done all he can as an assistant, it's his time now.

If a guy like that goes to a midmajor and wins 20 games for a year or two, then he becomes too expensive for us and ends up replacing Pitino or Billy Donovan at a dream job. 

But truthfully there are several guys on this list that need to be interviewed and could end up being excellent choices.

He is the last guy I would pick.

If you think he is the reason all these kids are going to Kentucky, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »

If you think he is the reason all these kids are going to Kentucky, I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn

If you really owned a bridge in Brooklyn would you rename it the Hooper Bridge
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:22:34 PM by we are sju »

boo3

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:34:43 PM »

I may be getting hi confused with someone else, maybe his own brother, but I could swear reading things about Antigua being a bad guy... Sorry I don't have more... Maybe someone else could shed light.. Maybe I'm dead wrong.

Zero interest in him..   Lavin is the coach and will remain so until he decides.

desco80

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »

Last guy?   I'd be interested to hear why you think that, you usually have a well reasoned opinion. 

Do I think he's the only reason they go to UK?  Of course not.   But he's one of the best known assistants in the country.  And you know full well that he's the one out on the trail building relationships with these kids from the time they enter HS.   I think he connects with kids well, and he's bid his time under coaches that know how to run a program.   Plus I think coming home to NY would be appealing to him. 
Is he a can't-miss type candidate?  No.   But I think it's a good fit.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:45:19 PM by desco80 »

derk

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »

A lot of hyperbole about Antigua. He certainly has a great background and must have absorbed something from being around all those HOF'ers. But how do we go from the greatest thing since sliced bread to "he is the last guy I would pick".

BTW I think this is all fantasy talk that hurts the program. Let's play out the year and give the players and coach a chance to straighten things out. It's a cliche but let's pretend it's 0 - 0 and see how many we can win. Coach is going nowhere, this year or next. Not impossible that we can run off 10 in a row.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »

A lot of hyperbole about Antigua. He certainly has a great background and must have absorbed something from being around all those HOF'ers. But how do we go from the greatest thing since sliced bread to "he is the last guy I would pick".

BTW I think this is all fantasy talk that hurts the program. Let's play out the year and give the players and coach a chance to straighten things out. It's a cliche but let's pretend it's 0 - 0 and see how many we can win. Coach is going nowhere, this year or next. Not impossible that we can run off 10 in a row.

You have a better chance of PMG selling you the Hooper bridge than us winning 10 in a row.

jr49

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 04:00:45 PM »
I hope Lavin stays and gets us some new players. Last night he had the kids in position to win and they decided wait, we don't wanna win a game, lets throw it away. In Del's defense, coach played him 36 minutes. Down the stretch he couldn't bend over and pick up the ball, or see a wide open guy lookin right at him. Some say Branch should played more. Well, Dlo coulda used a blow.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
I think Lavin still has the right to coach up until next season. I dont think he's done a good job this year, but you gotta give him a chance IMO. Just for fun though, Shaka Smart would be the very first call i'd make. He would be great in NY

paultzman

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »
I think Lavin still has the right to coach up until next season. I dont think he's done a good job this year, but you gotta give him a chance IMO. Just for fun though, Shaka Smart would be the very first call i'd make. He would be great in NY

Spike Lee's man

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »

Last guy?   I'd be interested to hear why you think that, you usually have a well reasoned opinion. 

Do I think he's the only reason they go to UK?  Of course not.   But he's one of the best known assistants in the country.  And you know full well that he's the one out on the trail building relationships with these kids from the time they enter HS.   I think he connects with kids well, and he's bid his time under coaches that know how to run a program.   Plus I think coming home to NY would be appealing to him. 

You think he'd bring his brother in as an asst? He obviously has strong ties to the CHSAA and other NYC schools. I'd be all for a hire that does what Norm was brought here to do and keep the NYC talent home. If we get a majority of the best NYC players we'd have a solid program

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 05:25:38 PM »
I woudn't go with Orlando Antigua.  IF Lavin were to go after this season (which I doubt would happen unless he chose to resign/retire) then I think you give it to a coach thats had a team before that can provide this group with structure and a good work ethic and you try to have success with the returning group and build off of that. 

To me, that guy would either be Steve Masiello or Danny Hurley.  Ben Howland definitely intrigues me though.  The one thing Lavin has done here is raise the profile of the St. John's job and has proven that the way to have success here with the current recruiting landscape is to recruit NATIONALLY to St. John's and not just locally. 

My only worry with Masiello/Hurley would be that they would get caught in the trap of focusing mainly on Tri-state area kids, and thats just not the way to have success here IMO.  However I think those guys are both highly structured, can coach into a true up-and-down, hardnosed style with this current group and can build off of success in year 1.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

desco80

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »

You think he'd bring his brother in as an asst? He obviously has strong ties to the CHSAA and other NYC schools. I'd be all for a hire that does what Norm was brought here to do and keep the NYC talent home. If we get a majority of the best NYC players we'd have a solid program

I didn't even think of that. 
Oliver might be getting the boot anyway when Tiny starts at the Hall, right?   
But I'm sure Antigua would have a number of NY connections he could turn to as assistants.   He worked with Slice a lot at Pitt right?
I'm sure he could easily fill out a staff that would hit the ground running.

Moose

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »

But I'm sure Antigua would have a number of NY connections he could turn to as assistants.   He worked with Slice a lot at Pitt right?

No more nepotism.  I had my fill with Jarvis :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »

No more nepotism.  I had my fill with Jarvis :)

Haha.  I couldn't believe someone put Mikey Jr as an option in one of the polls.
So tell me, because I really don't know, what was Maisello's reputation at Louisville?  Is he credited with landing the metro ny/nj kids like Samuels and Sosa?   Game prep?   

goredmen

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 05:59:30 PM »
I woudn't go with Orlando Antigua.  IF Lavin were to go after this season (which I doubt would happen unless he chose to resign/retire) then I think you give it to a coach thats had a team before that can provide this group with structure and a good work ethic and you try to have success with the returning group and build off of that. 

To me, that guy would either be Steve Masiello or Danny Hurley.  Ben Howland definitely intrigues me though.  The one thing Lavin has done here is raise the profile of the St. John's job and has proven that the way to have success here with the current recruiting landscape is to recruit NATIONALLY to St. John's and not just locally. 

My only worry with Masiello/Hurley would be that they would get caught in the trap of focusing mainly on Tri-state area kids, and thats just not the way to have success here IMO.  However I think those guys are both highly structured, can coach into a true up-and-down, hardnosed style with this current group and can build off of success in year 1.

There is plenty of talent in the tri-state area where if you can essentially corner the market you will have a VERY good program year after year. I never understood how people bought into the myth that theres not enough talent in this area anymore