It's not the coach

• 80 replies

SJUFAN

Re: It's not the coach
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 02:03:06 AM »
I'm sorry fellas, many of you have no clue about basketball. It's not that simple. "Lavin should have taught them this, should have taught them that by now". So if he has a 5 foot point guard he should be able to teach him to dunk? Just because a player isn't executing doesn't mean the coaches are not good teachers, sometimes it is the players. This isn't the NBA, you can't just get rid of a guy. You want to get on Lavin for recruiting them go right ahead. He brought in the best players he could at the time and he will bring in better players now that he had the time to build relationships. I thought the team played a pretty good game last night. Team lost because our front line doesn't like to rebound.

I am concerned about next year, we need to bring in some bangers. But whatever the case, I think ya'll are nuts for wanting to get rid of Lavin after coaching just 3 years. This is a 5-6 year rebuilding job. It would be quicker if players like Dom and Sampson played better. Sampson still has time to improve.

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 02:13:04 AM »
As far as Sampson goes though, the concerning thing is that he seems to have regressed. I mean he didn't play a whole lot of defense last year, but he at least played hard most of the time.

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »
I'm sorry fellas, many of you have no clue about basketball. It's not that simple. "Lavin should have taught them this, should have taught them that by now". So if he has a 5 foot point guard he should be able to teach him to dunk? Just because a player isn't executing doesn't mean the coaches are not good teachers, sometimes it is the players. This isn't the NBA, you can't just get rid of a guy. You want to get on Lavin for recruiting them go right ahead. He brought in the best players he could at the time and he will bring in better players now that he had the time to build relationships. I thought the team played a pretty good game last night. Team lost because our front line doesn't like to rebound.

I am concerned about next year, we need to bring in some bangers. But whatever the case, I think ya'll are nuts for wanting to get rid of Lavin after coaching just 3 years. This is a 5-6 year rebuilding job. It would be quicker if players like Dom and Sampson played better. Sampson still has time to improve.

Lavin as a non game coach is questionable at best, things like game prep and player development. His in game coaching leaves people laughing. His substitutions, TO usage, in game adjustments are poor.

The other day we came out and fed Rysheed in the post on 3 straight trips and it looked like it was working. Not once did we ever do it again. I doubt if lavin really hammered it in to these guys that that is what he wanted to keep doing that they wouldnt do it.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 08:12:23 AM »
The coaching Staff is as frustrated as all the board members who are calling for their dismissal. They realize the problems and address them everyday at practice.

1  Interior defense is poor ( notice who was on the bench at the end of the game last night)

2  Poor defense leads to fouls ( 9 min into the game the other team is in the bonus shortly thereafter +bonus )

3  Poor rebounding (Bootsy Thorton would be the leading rebounding on this team )

4  No team leader

I've coached H S Basketball and sometimes no matter what you do things don't change. Lavin was desperate when he put that lineup out there for the Georgetown game. He was trying to save the season. He's hoping that by Feb he can correct these issues.
If we don't correct these problems the NIT will be a stretch. Support the staff and hopefully they can turn things around
    On the recruiting front we're in good shape for 2015. the staff may bring in as many as 5 new players.

May bring in 5 new players?????

He better bring in 5 new players.  The problem is the roster construction and the balance of ships still.  We are setting ourselves up for 1 good year every 4 years and that doesnt equal success.  Do I also have to mention that he has 3 ships for this year and instead of banking on 2015 where our old friend 'the youngest team in America' has a good chance of returning, why not work 2014 and get someone in here so come 2015 when we go to Maui and play a bunch of powerhouses we don't get embarrassed with a bunch of freshman still finding their way around campus.  Of course he could bring in 3 players in the spring and play the Redshirt game which wouldn't be a surprise based on track record.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 08:27:46 AM »
How is this not Lavins fault?
1) faulty roster construction
2) players not playing up to their abilities ( his recruits)
3) odd rotations and non set rotations
4) stagnant offense and zones that leak like a sieve
5) 3PT line defense being awful year after year and not having a legitimate 3 point threat to open the middle

that being said I still think lavs will fix this and isn't going anywhere. I think he came out of ESPN and thought he could "out athletic" teams but not using up tempo and the press kills that idea . Look at what wisconsin does with lesser recruits because they run sets , have players of high basketball IQ and play to their strengths. I think Lavin is learning this isn't going to work as constructed.

paultzman

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 08:35:07 AM »
Moose just nailed it. Time to get on an relatively even roster basis to avoid gaping holes every several years. Also, as stated often, if we don't finish season positively, it certainly can't help with a critical 15 class. Anyone who thinks we have Diallo & Briscoe in the bag is sorely mistaken. I am not questioning Lavin's historical recruiting success, just pointing out a potentially daunting task. I realize he inherited a challenging roster, but is it ok to expect that we get back  to a workable mix soon? Most programs reload & don't have to depend on large blockbuster classes to succeed. I believe that is where we want to be.

Foad

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
The coaching Staff is as frustrated as all the board members who are calling for their dismissal. They realize the problems and address them everyday at practice.

1  Interior defense is poor ( notice who was on the bench at the end of the game last night)

2  Poor defense leads to fouls ( 9 min into the game the other team is in the bonus shortly thereafter +bonus )

3  Poor rebounding (Bootsy Thorton would be the leading rebounding on this team )

4  No team leader

I've coached H S Basketball and sometimes no matter what you do things don't change. Lavin was desperate when he put that lineup out there for the Georgetown game. He was trying to save the season. He's hoping that by Feb he can correct these issues.
If we don't correct these problems the NIT will be a stretch. Support the staff and hopefully they can turn things around
    On the recruiting front we're in good shape for 2015. the staff may bring in as many as 5 new players.

Just so I have this straight: when Lavin wins with Norm's players, that credit goes to Lavin, because he's a superior basketball mind. When Lavin loses with Lavin's players, it's because the players aren't good enough. And this is true because you once coached JV basketball.

Good post man.

isham

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
Please critic the points that I made and don't attack me personally. In my post I never mentioned what I thought of Lavin as a coach and never gave him credit for winning with Norm's players. Also, if I revealed that I was a successful varsity coach would that make my observations more creditable .

TONYD3

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 11:07:45 AM »
isham- what has this guy done that makes you stick  up for him?

Poison

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »

Lavin
Please critic the points that I made and don't attack me personally. In my post I never mentioned what I thought of Lavin as a coach and never gave him credit for winning with Norm's players. Also, if I revealed that I was a successful varsity coach would that make my observations more creditable .

The players should not be absolved of all blame. Lavin can't make a layup for Pointer, or finish a dunk for Sampson. Still, his judgement as a game coach has been awful.

Let's start here.

Why is Max Hooper playing?
Why is Phil Greene Still starting and playing over Jamal Branch?
Why isn't Obekpa starting?
Why hasn't Lavin settled on who will play what role?

Lavin had the added benefit of playing competitive games in Europe. What did he learn about his team during that trip? They they like to travel? These kids don't know what they're doing. We score on one on one gym class ball hog crap. First Jordan, then Harrison and then Sanchez. Eventually, the other team knows you're looking only to score. They stole the ball on two possessions in the closing minutes because we weren't running an offense.

As a coach, Lavin excels at everything off the court. It's the actual games where he fails.

It's time for Lavin to take some of the responsibility here. That's what made me so angry with Norm Roberts. He truly didn't know just how awful his judgement was.

ras

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2014, 11:30:17 AM »
I don't fault Lavin for starting Greene, I fault him for giving him so many minutes when he was useless and Branch was playing well.

Poison

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
How is this not Lavins fault?
1) faulty roster construction
2) players not playing up to their abilities ( his recruits)
3) odd rotations and non set rotations
4) stagnant offense and zones that leak like a sieve
5) 3PT line defense being awful year after year and not having a legitimate 3 point threat to open the middle

that being said I still think lavs will fix this and isn't going anywhere. I think he came out of ESPN and thought he could "out athletic" teams but not using up tempo and the press kills that idea . Look at what wisconsin does with lesser recruits because they run sets , have players of high basketball IQ and play to their strengths. I think Lavin is learning this isn't going to work as constructed.

All of that is Lavin's fault, except one gray area. Players that don't play up to expectations could be in the situation they're in for a number of reasons. They could simply be overrated. (Lopez/Hamilton/Turner) They could be lazy. They could be hurt. (Diakite/Hill/Mason) They could be used in a way that doesn't allow them to play to the best of their abilities. (McCloud)

In regards to what we have here, something must be going on that we don't know about. Maybe it's a lack of effort, respect, IDK, but what we do know is that Lavin has already suspended two key players, and he hasn't told us why. He has started the oddest of line ups, and none of them have produced positive results.

What Lavin keeps "trying" to do isn't working. We have to hope that his next gimmick will work. But even if it does, it's pretty clear that he keeps guessing, and changing his mind. Because of that, the players don't know what they're doing.

Lavin has made it clear with his suspensions over the last two seasons that HE is in charge, but do these players have the capacity to learn what he is trying to teach them? Maybe by the end of February? Or so says Lavs.

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:31 AM »
I don't fault Lavin for starting Greene, I fault him for giving him so many minutes when he was useless and Branch was playing well.

But there is the rub however. Everyone agrees the ball should be in Jordan's hands correct? Well Having Branch in the game with Jordan takes Jordan off the ball. Playing Branch off the ball is useless becuase Branch doesn't shoot.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 11:33:15 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »

I think Greene starts because he's a student of Lavin's lessons. He knows what d they're playing, even if he doesn't play it so well. He calls out players who aren't where they are supposed to be. Problem is, the ball in his hands removes the opportunity for guys like Sampson and Pointer to excel. Greene saved us against Monmouth and Bucknell, but unfortunately he's outclassed in the BE.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 11:35:53 AM »

But there is the rub however. Everyone agrees the ball should be in Jordan's hands correct? Well Having Branch in the game with Jordan takes Jordan off the ball. Playing Branch off the ball is useless becuase Branch doesn't shoot.

Branch is the only guard who was distributing against Depaul. Then Lavin sat him down. Why? I have no idea.

TONYD3

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
I think branch could shoot. I think he is good. We should be trying to get him going and get him confidence. If we are ever going ti try and run an offense he will be the guy to do it.
For those of you who are sticking up for him: can you please explain the ball screen offense- especially when the screener has 0 offensive skills

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »

Branch is the only guard who was distributing against Depaul. Then Lavin sat him down. Why? I have no idea.
I can't kill him for that becuase for most of the game Jordan played very well and he plays best with the ball. Playing Branch with Jordan does not really work. I have no problem with Branch being Jordan's backup or playing with him sometimes but Jordan is much more effective with the ball.

desco80

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 12:05:22 PM »
Isham, thanks for your post by the way.  I'd love to see you post more often, you seem like a knowledgeable guy.
And all of us support the coach and players and want to see them succeed.  But we're fans, we're not inside the program.   When things go badly fans are going to ask "what if", and second guess things.    Case in point, there are Alabama fans right now who are asking if Saban has lost his edge. 

I don't disagree with your analysis re: the poor defense leading to the fouls, but I think it goes deeper than that.  We're not a great perimeter defensive team.  A lot of these fouls are occurring when we get beat, and a ballhandler turns the corner. 
Why are we continuing to switch on every screen?   Normally i'd say thats the best way to cut off penetration, play loose and switch.  But our guys are getting lost on the switch.   Coach needs to change the approach.  Have the guys man up and fight through the picks, or decide to trap the ballhandler on screens.   Whatever you do, the constant switching isn't working.

And to your larger point, that's good to hear that the staff is frustrated too and trying to address it.  But I don't really find that to be a defense.   The staff of a losing program is frustrated and trying to fix things in practice?   Good.  They should be.   
It would be pretty strange if they weren't.   
The problem isn't that we think they're not trying to address the problems, it's that whatever prescription the staff is trying ISN'T fixing the issues.   

desco80

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »

But there is the rub however. Everyone agrees the ball should be in Jordan's hands correct? Well Having Branch in the game with Jordan takes Jordan off the ball. Playing Branch off the ball is useless because Branch doesn't shoot.

I do not agree that the ball should be in Jordan's hands.   
I think Jordan might be our best player, but I don't think he's our best point guard.    Branch should be the full time point.
And I've been saying that since October.   

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 12:29:14 PM »

But there is the rub however. Everyone agrees the ball should be in Jordan's hands correct? Well Having Branch in the game with Jordan takes Jordan off the ball. Playing Branch off the ball is useless because Branch doesn't shoot.

I do not agree that the ball should be in Jordan's hands.   
I think Jordan might be our best player, but I don't think he's our best point guard.    Branch should be the full time point.
And I've been saying that since October.   

Desco, i think you are right on man, you have been preaching Branch since day one, and i doubted it up until this point.

Branch needs more minutes, him and Phil should switch minutes completely.